You have got to be kidding me

8LegsMomWannabe

Arachnopeon
Okay, I know nothing about roly pokies other than that they're Isopoda. So when I say what I'm about to say, I draw upon nothing but what seems like it would be common sense.

Anyway, I just so happened upon a "pocket habitat" for these guys...so you can have a little pet that goes everywhere with you.
www.amazon.com/Pocket-Pets-Large-Habitat/dp/B00R750UZ6/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=ANED243CVDHEB

Now, this just doesn't seem like a very good enclosure. Then again, I know nothing about these guys, and people do keep tiny spiderlings in pill vials, so I have no problem in standing corrected if I'm wrong. But it just doesn't seem like it would be an adequate enclosure. Never mind the idea of carrying an animal around in your pocket to show off your "personal sidekick".

Am I the only one seeing something amiss here?

Oh and they have a smaller version too.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
Okay, I know nothing about roly pokies other than that they're Isopoda. So when I say what I'm about to say, I draw upon nothing but what seems like it would be common sense.

Anyway, I just so happened upon a "pocket habitat" for these guys...so you can have a little pet that goes everywhere with you.
www.amazon.com/Pocket-Pets-Large-Habitat/dp/B00R750UZ6/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=ANED243CVDHEB

Now, this just doesn't seem like a very good enclosure. Then again, I know nothing about these guys, and people do keep tiny spiderlings in pill vials, so I have no problem in standing corrected if I'm wrong. But it just doesn't seem like it would be an adequate enclosure. Never mind the idea of carrying an animal around in your pocket to show off your "personal sidekick".

Am I the only one seeing something amiss here?

Oh and they have a smaller version too.
Lol..........

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Pardon my acerbity here but my personal feeling about packing your pets around with you, the mentality behind that, is invest in some Pediculus humanus capitis. A nice symbiosis that won't harm the animal in the least.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
pardon my acerbity here but my personal feeling about packing your pets around with you, the mentality behind that, is invest in some pediculus humanus capitis. A nice symbiosis that won't harm the animal in the least.

lmao!!!!!!!

baijuncheng

Arachnopeon
In China you can buy a keychain with a live baby turtle inside. Can't feed it, it can't really rest anywhere, just stays on your keys until it becomes a dead baby turtle. Turtles are very popular pets here too, it's just a shame that nobody knows how to care for them. I even know people who actually believe that turtles don't need to eat.

8LegsMomWannabe

Arachnopeon
In China you can buy a keychain with a live baby turtle inside. Can't feed it, it can't really rest anywhere, just stays on your keys until it becomes a dead baby turtle. Turtles are very popular pets here too, it's just a shame that nobody knows how to care for them. I even know people who actually believe that turtles don't need to eat.
Wow, people think they don't need to eat? Ouch. I have heard of those key chains though. I really try to be respectful of other cultures, but, well, that's just sad.

I still don't like the idea of the pocket habitat for roly polies, but at least they get food.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I read about something that outraged me. i know this isn't an invert, but... Teacup poodles. Now, whether you like poodles or dislike them, there is no denying that this is no way to keep an animal! I hope the practice is banned! How in the world could a poodle get nearly enough exercise in a teacup? Maybe a beer-mug might be okay for a poodle, but I think that would be the absolute minimum!

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
I read about something that outraged me. i know this isn't an invert, but... Teacup poodles. Now, whether you like poodles or dislike them, there is no denying that this is no way to keep an animal! I hope the practice is banned! How in the world could a poodle get nearly enough exercise in a teacup? Maybe a beer-mug might be okay for a poodle, but I think that would be the absolute minimum!
There's not much we, as hobbyists, can do for these poor creatures. In all honesty, responsible Poodle owners know that teacups are only a suitable enclosure for Poodlings. Have you even seen one at 1st instar? You can literally keep them in a film canister! Of course, they molt so quickly, that you need to upgrade them to deli cups... eventually, you forget about the silly teacup that the LPS made you buy. And the heat lamp too.

I spoil mine, and keep it in an acrylic beer pitcher. It's so big, I need to tong feed it, but I use plastic yellow tongs, so no issues with breaking a fang. Wimpy feeder response anyway.

Last edited:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I'm having trouble believing I'm reading this thread. Tim B and EOTF's off topic comments have only enhanced and improved it. The fact of the matter is, if the animal cannot be leash trained AND HAPPY ABOUT IT, instead of packing your animal about your time would be better spent seeking professional counseling and extended group therapy sessions

"Hi! My name is Bob. I started out swallowing goldfish.... "

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I don't even think that most open containers are suitable for poodles. You get low-humidity issues resulting in problematic moults. Ever seen a poodle that had a bad moult? Not a pretty sight. I found this example on wikicommons:
Just look at the poor thing. Clearly it was unable to completely remove itself from the old exoskeleton. Somebody should have read the PKG before attempting to keep the poor animal.

By the way, a wimpy feeding response is often indicative of improper food. Try Snausages. There is often debate about whether the nutritional content is sufficient for the species, and some claim Snausages to be too high in fact. Also am hearing rumours that France is planning on banning the species from exportation due to over collecting. which I say is long overdue. In fact, I think we should take it a step further and export the ones we already have BACK to France.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Back in the '60s they used to sell anoles on little leashes at the Ohio State Fair. They probably died by the thousands.

TheHonestPirate

Arachnoknight
There's not much we, as hobbyists, can do for these poor creatures. In all honesty, responsible Poodle owners know that teacups are only a suitable enclosure for Poodlings. Have you even seen one at 1st instar? You can literally keep them in a film canister! Of course, they molt so quickly, that you need to upgrade them to deli cups... eventually, you forget about the silly teacup that the LPS made you buy. And the heat lamp too.

I spoil mine, and keep it in an acrylic beer pitcher. It's so big, I need to tong feed it, but I use plastic yellow tongs, so no issues with breaking a fang. Wimpy feeder response anyway.
I lost it at "poodlings". Haha