Yellow Sac Spider?

pavel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Found this little lady wandering the walls of my apt. I was wondering if she's a Cheiracanthium -- perhaps C. inclusium?

Currently have her in a cube. Any husbandry tips or is she unlikely to live much longer anyway?

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
Exactumundo...lol...see a lot of these in the house in the winters up here...we just leave them be

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
got 1 living in my door jam of my car:),when i go out to the car,i'll see it srurring on the hood then it darts back in the door.like clockwork.amazing little thing.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I caught a nice C. inclusum in a lounge at school this week. I put it in a ziploc I happened to have on me, and took it home! It's now residing happily in a tupperware at my apartment. :D I love these little buggers. She's the 14th specimen of this species I've now kept.

YellowSacVictim

Arachnopeon
Yellow Sac Spider bites

I moved into a house in October this year. There's a large clan of yellow sacs here. They've bitten me over 20 times in my sleep. At first, I noticed painful 'cuts', i thought that's what they were. Then I noticed several of them on my hands at the same time, that's when i noticed they were all sets of fang marks, they were all directly on/into my veins. They felt no more painful than a very infected scrape. The wounds appeared clearly infected and took longer than usual to heal- when healed I noticed a light degree of dermonecrosis. 90% of the bites occurred on my hands (specifically knuckles) and wrists. Always directly into the veins. I got 1 bite on my leg just above my ankle a few weeks ago, the vein has since turned a darker color but doesn't hurt. Also about 2 bites further up my forearms. The fang width is usually massive but I also got many small bites (always fangmarks, double puncture). I've seen and captured them which is how I know they're yellow sacs. I'm surprised I never feel them when it's happening while I'm sleeping, I don't feel them walking on me or biting me. I usually notice the bite when I'm washing my hands the next day and I feel that very particular sting. I've heard from many sources that this behavior is entirely undocumented and bizarre. By my doctor, by several exterminators. I was told "Spiders don't bite unless provoked, they don't seek out human victims, they don't get their nutrition from insect blood, they get it from insect organs." Everyone I've talked to is having a difficult time absorbing the reality of this situation and they're writing it off as impossible, I need to seek out an etymologist. This entire crew of yellow sacs always know the difference between me lying down and being fully asleep. They always locate the veins directly, always sink their fangs into the vein, I never feel any of it. Also* after large bites or several bites within a few days a separate place on my skin directly above the vein collects the venom into a very itchy blister lookin thing, also lightly necrotic. No pain. I've been bitten so many times they just about covered all of my knuckles and all of my knuckles are necrotic. I.e. the last bite I got was a large one on my pinky and the blister from that formed on my pointer finger of the same hand. I'm concerned for my health, i don't know if over time this can really take a toll, or if it already is and I just don't feel it, i've actually gone over i think 2 weeks now without a bite and I'm very relieved and hope it stays this way. I read that they don't like tea tree oil or citrus oils so i mixed tea tree and lemon and covered my hands and wrists and that's when I acquired a small bite further up my forearm. I'm very freaked out about getting bitten even once more after I noticed the longterm development of dermonecrosis. After hearing about possible staph infections from the bites. I'm ok and I feel fine, I think the venom sometimes affects my respiratory system. I'm posting this because so far no one I've talked to has ever heard of anything like this, to the point they don't want to believe it, and they obviously have no idea how to help me, a battery of exterminators and renovations have not helped. Should I go to a dermatologist? Is there anyway to make these yellow sacs go away? Has anyone ever heard of a similar problem? Even if, very hopefully, they've ceased for now, I don't want to go through this nightmare again next autumn. I have pictures of some of the bites as well. Also- how are they locating the veins with such skill - are they using their sense of smell or do they have thermosensitive vision or both? How are they so lightfooted that I don't feel them crawling on me? Do they inject an anesthetic venom so I'm not feeling the bite til hours later? Any information would be helpful, thanks.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
I moved into a house in October this year. There's a large clan of yellow sacs here. They've bitten me over 20 times in my sleep. At first, I noticed painful 'cuts', i thought that's what they were. Then I noticed several of them on my hands at the same time, that's when i noticed they were all sets of fang marks, they were all directly on/into my veins. They felt no more painful than a very infected scrape. The wounds appeared clearly infected and took longer than usual to heal- when healed I noticed a light degree of dermonecrosis. 90% of the bites occurred on my hands (specifically knuckles) and wrists. Always directly into the veins. I got 1 bite on my leg just above my ankle a few weeks ago, the vein has since turned a darker color but doesn't hurt. Also about 2 bites further up my forearms. The fang width is usually massive but I also got many small bites (always fangmarks, double puncture). I've seen and captured them which is how I know they're yellow sacs. I'm surprised I never feel them when it's happening while I'm sleeping, I don't feel them walking on me or biting me. I usually notice the bite when I'm washing my hands the next day and I feel that very particular sting. I've heard from many sources that this behavior is entirely undocumented and bizarre. By my doctor, by several exterminators. I was told "Spiders don't bite unless provoked, they don't seek out human victims, they don't get their nutrition from insect blood, they get it from insect organs." Everyone I've talked to is having a difficult time absorbing the reality of this situation and they're writing it off as impossible, I need to seek out an etymologist. This entire crew of yellow sacs always know the difference between me lying down and being fully asleep. They always locate the veins directly, always sink their fangs into the vein, I never feel any of it. Also* after large bites or several bites within a few days a separate place on my skin directly above the vein collects the venom into a very itchy blister lookin thing, also lightly necrotic. No pain. I've been bitten so many times they just about covered all of my knuckles and all of my knuckles are necrotic. I.e. the last bite I got was a large one on my pinky and the blister from that formed on my pointer finger of the same hand. I'm concerned for my health, i don't know if over time this can really take a toll, or if it already is and I just don't feel it, i've actually gone over i think 2 weeks now without a bite and I'm very relieved and hope it stays this way. I read that they don't like tea tree oil or citrus oils so i mixed tea tree and lemon and covered my hands and wrists and that's when I acquired a small bite further up my forearm. I'm very freaked out about getting bitten even once more after I noticed the longterm development of dermonecrosis. After hearing about possible staph infections from the bites. I'm ok and I feel fine, I think the venom sometimes affects my respiratory system. I'm posting this because so far no one I've talked to has ever heard of anything like this, to the point they don't want to believe it, and they obviously have no idea how to help me, a battery of exterminators and renovations have not helped. Should I go to a dermatologist? Is there anyway to make these yellow sacs go away? Has anyone ever heard of a similar problem? Even if, very hopefully, they've ceased for now, I don't want to go through this nightmare again next autumn. I have pictures of some of the bites as well. Also- how are they locating the veins with such skill - are they using their sense of smell or do they have thermosensitive vision or both? How are they so lightfooted that I don't feel them crawling on me? Do they inject an anesthetic venom so I'm not feeling the bite til hours later? Any information would be helpful, thanks.
Someone else want to get this one? I can't battle anymore myths today. ID'ing myths really took the wind out of my sail.

YellowSacVictim, you don't need an Entomologist if you are believing a clan of sac spiders wait for you to go to bed, then suck blood from your veins while you sleep. You need a freaking psychologist bro.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Yellow Sac spiders are harmless, and their venom is not necrotic.

I would give you advice, but seeing as you're likely a former banned user returning to troll us out of spite, i'd rather not.

I WILL, however propagate some yellow sac spiders, though. :D

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
YellowSacVictim:

Have the house checked for bedbugs ad other biting insects. I don't think the yellow sac spiders are to blame for your bites. Unless you have actually witnessed a yellow sac spider biting you, I would disregard them as the culprit. Spiders don't seek out veins as biting spots - they bite anywhere.

I would place my bet on bedbugs or a flying insect as your culprit.

Tarantula155

Arachnobaron

I have a real hard time believing you. I wont be surprised if you find some bedbugs later..

---------- Post added 05-21-2013 at 01:34 PM ----------

Yellow Sac spiders are harmless, and their venom is not necrotic.

I would give you advice, but seeing as you're likely a former banned user returning to troll us out of spite, i'd rather not.

I WILL, however propagate some yellow sac spiders, though. :D
That's what I was thinking.

---------- Post added 05-21-2013 at 01:36 PM ----------

Someone else want to get this one? I can't battle anymore myths today. ID'ing myths really took the wind out of my sail.

YellowSacVictim, you don't need an Entomologist if you are believing a clan of sac spiders wait for you to go to bed, then suck blood from your veins while you sleep. You need a freaking psychologist bro.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I've read that nectar is actually pretty important to these spiders, and they'll spend considerable time looking for it.

There was a study that came to the conclusion that yellow sac spiders are healthier overall when given nectar, they become more fecund as well.

This may actually increase their lifespan, and help them resist mycosis. Plus they possibly need the sugar.

That's something i havent thought of.. adding sugar to water for my jumpers. I do know some jumpers will actually bite at leaves and soft fruit to get a drink.

for active species like sac spiders and salticids, this may be the reason they die so soon in captivity.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
I've read that nectar is actually pretty important to these spiders, and they'll spend considerable time looking for it.

There was a study that came to the conclusion that yellow sac spiders are healthier overall when given nectar, they become more fecund as well.

This may actually increase their lifespan, and help them resist mycosis. Plus they possibly need the sugar.

That's something i havent thought of.. adding sugar to water for my jumpers. I do know some jumpers will actually bite at leaves and soft fruit to get a drink.

for active species like sac spiders and salticids, this may be the reason they die so soon in captivity.
The reason Salticids have short lifespans is there high BRM. They use a lot of energy to jump and keep their vision on a pivot. To the best of my knowledge, sugar is bad for the vast majority of arthropods including spiders. I remember when someone at work let my Hierodula membranacea eat part of her cupcake; one week later her 1st pair of legs (the ones that are modified for grasping prey) started to dry out at the tip of the walking appendage. The drying out went all the way down her front legs till they were no longer functional. Her antennae also dried out and fell off. Approximately 2 weeks after the cupcake she passed away.

I could be wrong, I've never really done research on this subject, that is just my personal experience and a general assumption that sugar is a specialized food for arthropods (ants, bees, etc.)

You said you read about it somewhere? Can you share the paper/article?

Tarantula155

Arachnobaron

Very interesting! You're telling me that I should give my yellow sac spiders some banana or raspberry?

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
The reason Salticids have short lifespans is there high BRM. They use a lot of energy to jump and keep their vision on a pivot. To the best of my knowledge, sugar is bad for the vast majority of arthropods including spiders. I remember when someone at work let my Hierodula membranacea eat part of her cupcake; one week later her 1st pair of legs (the ones that are modified for grasping prey) started to dry out at the tip of the walking appendage. The drying out went all the way down her front legs till they were no longer functional. Her antennae also dried out and fell off. Approximately 2 weeks after the cupcake she passed away.

I could be wrong, I've never really done research on this subject, that is just my personal experience and a general assumption that sugar is a specialized food for arthropods (ants, bees, etc.)

You said you read about it somewhere? Can you share the paper/article?
http://naldc.nal.usda.gov/download/37223/PDF

i'm not saying give them unusual things like people food, but a fresh juicy grape given as a drinking source might be alot better than water alone. Well, provided it's fresh and not left to mold up.

The sugar in the nectar could help replenish their energy. The article also mentions the use of extra floral nectaries in cotton fields by various species.

Sorry for not providing that source earlier. people look at me like i'm a total crack-pot whenever i bring this up :D

theholyarachnid said:
Very interesting! you're telling me that i should give my yellow sac spiders some banana or raspberry?
I would stick to more juicier fruits with a high water content, like grape.

The article also mentions that orb weavers consume the pollen that blows into their webs, and do benefit from it.

Last edited:

Tarantula155

Arachnobaron
http://naldc.nal.usda.gov/download/37223/PDF

i'm not saying give them unusual things like people food, but a fresh juicy grape given as a drinking source might be alot better than water alone. Well, provided it's fresh and not left to mold up.

The sugar in the nectar could help replenish their energy. The article also mentions the use of extra floral nectaries in cotton fields by various species.

Sorry for not providing that source earlier. people look at me like i'm a total crack-pot whenever i bring this up :D

I would stick to more juicier fruits with a high water content, like grape.

The article also mentions that orb weavers consume the pollen that blows into their webs, and do benefit from it.
Neat! I will give my yellow sac spiders a grape once in a while.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I would really like someone in the know to weigh in on the ability of spiders in general to digest pure carbohydrates (sugars) and how their metabolism handles it. To my thinking, simple carbohydrate intake could easily unbalance/destabilize the entire basal metabolism of the animal. Along the lines, in reverse, of humans trying to digest and subsist on paper.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I would really like someone in the know to weigh in on the ability of spiders in general to digest pure carbohydrates (sugars) and how their metabolism handles it. To my thinking, simple carbohydrate intake could easily unbalance/destabilize the entire basal metabolism of the animal. Along the lines, in reverse, of humans trying to digest and subsist on paper.
Not ALL spiders do this. I cant remember where i saw the pic of the jumping spider biting into a leaf to drink the juice.

i've witnessed phidippus audax drinking nectar myself, from oxalis flowers in my back yard. I make my yard jumper-friendly, has tons of audax, johnsoni, sassacus, and habronattus, and i've seen them all drinking nectar from these flowers. mismunoides crab spiders are also noted to heavily consume nectar.

I dont see comparing nectar to paper being anywhere near accurate. Did you even read the article before you posted that?

There's also bagheera kiplingi.. and they eat a great deal of plant matter, the beltian bodies of acacias! I know for a fact that phidippus can be quite long-lived. I've seen big huge females and males with a legspan OVER a quarter.

she has nearly a 1" BL, and she molted recently AFTER adulthood.

before i ever caught her, she set up residence near my window, same routine every day, she would bask on the windowsill for a little bit, then make her way to the rose bush, jumping from the wall to the branch, then climb down and drink from the flowers, then go sit near the top of the ornamental asparagus that I've allowed to fallow.

she did this for over a year.

Some members of phidippus are strongly associated with a certain species of plant, like californicus being found most often near white sage, which produces quite a bit of nectar.

Last edited:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Nectar is not, plant juice is not

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
yeah I am going to go a head and call you out on this. the only spider I have been bitten by was a yellow sac spider and it stung and that was it.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
In reading that paper Smokehound, the results sound like it was not beneficial to the spider. It also did not conclude anything really, it just provided the results of the tests. Usually when someone avoids a conclusion it is because the results were not clear one way or another.

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
BTW, people... the member named YellowSacVictim has not replied once since posting... I smell a troll. Let's not feed it. :sarcasm: