yellow and black banded millipedes....what are they>>>>?

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
Please identify these and let me know what you think they are...i have no clue. Are they worth $20? Thanks-

Attachments

Critterfarm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Orthocricus arboreus
Puerto Rican Aboreal Millipedes. They come in yellow and black, red and black, red and white, and all red. Beautiful smaller millipede that spends a good bit of time above ground. Once they get settled in, they seem to breed fairly well. They are often hard to find, so $20.00 may not be a bad price

Robert

Arachnopeon
Hello,
Critterfarm said:
Orthocricus arboreus
Puerto Rican Aboreal Millipedes
I don't think that's Orthocricus arboreus, they have a complete different coloration.

I think it's a Rhinocricus spec.

Feri

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The website that the above picture was copied from shows three subspecies of Orthocricus arboreus (this one, a black one and the "Puerto Rican white millipede"), see http://www.kingsnake.com/westindian/
If you really were offered this species than I think it's worth the price. But there is a Rhinocricus spec. that looks very similar to this subspecies of Orthocricus arboreus, and spends all the time under the substrate and I wouldn't pay 20$ for that.

Feri

Feri

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry, the above link does not drive you right to th invert pics, so you have to choose "invertebrates" on the left side of the site.

Feri