Yeeeaaaay! Platymeris eggs just hatched! :D

Choobaine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yea yea! I know it's not THAT big of an acheivement however i'm still proud. I've attatched a nice high quality photo for you to admire. They are so cute! So cute!! Any advice for keeping them folks? I have mealworms and morio breeding constantly here so I've an endless supply of very small feeders.

Allthough I'm well versed on keeping them I'd like to hear any odds and ends from you guys!

Any tips are apreciated or anything else for that matter. I'm in a great mood now! :)

(Sorry for the wrong place folks... :/ )

Attachments

Last edited:

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that's a nice picture. how many eggs hatched total? i've heard that they lay A LOT of eggs.

Choobaine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
so far 3 of sixteen, I have only one female so I think I'm doing ok? They're adorable. I like that photo - it brings up what you can't see with eyes.

Thanks folks :)

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
so far 3 of sixteen, I have only one female so I think I'm doing ok? They're adorable. I like that photo - it brings up what you can't see with eyes.

Thanks folks :)
I agree with everything you said on that one. I've ran across these outside my house and it's nice to see all the details up close with out chasing them with a magnifying glass. :D Keep us updated on the cuties!

Hope everything goes well with all of them and mommy! These are White Spotted Assassins right?

Black Widow88

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree with everything you said on that one. I've ran across these outside my house and it's nice to see all the details up close with out chasing them with a magnifying glass. :D Keep us updated on the cuties!
The USDA is going to piss its pants when they see that post LOL. {D These assassins are from Africa, so hearing about them lose in some Northern US state is going to... startle them to say the least LOL ;P

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You have probably been seeing native assassin bugs. Not the white spot ones.

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
We have lots of different native assassin bugs here. The nymphs look very similar to the African species. I've seen some around my house too, not sure what kind they are. I found a cool green one once and I kept it for a few weeks before relasing it.

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
We have lots of different native assassin bugs here. The nymphs look very similar to the African species. I've seen some around my house too, not sure what kind they are. I found a cool green one once and I kept it for a few weeks before relasing it.
Green?! Awesome! Because the one I saw looked liked the White spotted ones. It was a nymph.

Black Widow88

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are you sure it wasn't those red and black "stink bug" lookin things that swarm all over the place around here?

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My guess is one of these. I found a pic of one online, called a boxelder.

Either that or immature wheelbugs, I hear they are red as well.

EDIT:
Here is a pic of a milkweed assassin bug.

And here is an immature wheelbug...could be either of these as well.

Last edited:

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Black widow88, you can tell if it's a stink bug or an assassin bug by picking it up and smelling it!
let us know what it smell like hehehe {D

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Black widow88, you can tell if it's a stink bug or an assassin bug by picking it up and smelling it!
let us know what it smell like hehehe {D
Hell no! {D I have safer other ways.

The Boxelder or the others?
The Boxelder. Although I have seen Wheel bug nymphs too not to far from where I found the Boxelders. Just didn't know what nymphs they were. But now I know! Thank you!

Mind you kinda makes sense since there is a Boxelder tree outside my house along with maples and other related trees and other ones that aren't. Don't know all the names to them though.

Black Widow88

Choobaine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Aw I'd love to keep wheel bugs. Allthough platymeris are pretty fun as it is :D