Wow.......I feel guilty

messiah35

Arachnopeon
when I feed off roaches. Not really sure why. Its not going to stop me from doing it. Just something I noticed today when I watched my Ornata pounce on a dubia. Something about the little guy squirming while her fangs were buried in his back made me feel bad about myself. Makes me harken back to the days of feeding off live rats and rabbits to retics. Ill get over it. Not sure why im sharing it other than the fact that none of my "normal" friends would give a crap. :)

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ahh..yu will get used to it. i breed mice and used to have to kill them by breakingthere neck(that was the fastest way i ASSumed at the time:wall: ) now i dont feel so bad and do it even quicker and more all at once. i put hot water into a butter bowl drop a chunk of dry ice in and the have a lid with tube running into the gas chamber...the dry ice puts off tons of CO2 quick and painless....

but roaches dont have the same sensory system as mammals..so technically the shouldnt feel any "pain"

rvtjonny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
when I feed off roaches. Not really sure why. Its not going to stop me from doing it. Just something I noticed today when I watched my Ornata pounce on a dubia. Something about the little guy squirming while her fangs were buried in his back made me feel bad about myself.
I dont feel bad at all, i kinda like it.. {D

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I used to feel a little bad feeding off dubia because they are such good natured bugs and tend not to die real quickly when attacked by tarantulas.

These days I feel lateralis and I never feed bad at all when those little beasties get munched. I didn't switch for that reason, of course, but it is a bonus.

messiah35

Arachnopeon
But im not watching THEM die. Thus its easier to separate their horrible deaths from my eating experience,

And trust me.....every time I see one of those slaughter house behind the scenes thing i almost become a vegan.

burmish101

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I dont feel bad feeding off bugs, but I used to break rat necks with the backside of a large knife and felt kind of bad about that, used to swing them into the corner of a table but I missed sometimes and the knife method was always spot on. The pythons had to eat though and that was the safest route. Come to think of it, I sure went through a ton of furry little woodland creatures over the years.

Roski

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
But im not watching THEM die. Thus its easier to separate their horrible deaths from my eating experience,
I have vegan friends who would have your neck for this. :D Well... maybe not, that wouldn't be very vegan of them ;P

Anyway, the "worst" I ever felt was when I tossed a soft, white, freshly molted cricket to one of my Ts as a post-molt meal for him. I thought it appropriate enough, and found the lack of subsequent boluses interesting. But, having just seen the cricket spend 30 minutes kicking itself out of an exuviae on my way home from the pet store, I felt a bit evil about hitting the thing when it was down.

And then I realize I'm anthropomorphizing again, and go on with the rest of my feedings.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I dont feel bad feeding off bugs, but I used to break rat necks with the backside of a large knife and felt kind of bad about that, used to swing them into the corner of a table but I missed sometimes and the knife method was always spot on. The pythons had to eat though and that was the safest route. Come to think of it, I sure went through a ton of furry little woodland creatures over the years.
yup, i know exactly what you meam..wich is why i now gas all of them...

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I feel no pity for crickets even though I breed them myself, but I don't think I could bring myself to feed most vertebrate prey. I've fed fish to pet snakes before, but that's the only vertebrate I would feel comfortable feeding......needless to say, I'd make a lousy python keeper. :rolleyes:

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've kept rats and other furry critters as pets, so I have a bit of a soft spot for them. Yet, I hunt rabbits and squirrels.....odd.
haha...yes that is...squirrel...its whats for dinner!