Wounded T, expert advice needed

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Upon looked at my T post molt, I saw he was dripping hemolymph from the top of his abdomen. Not a lot, but every time he moved he lost 1 drop. I patched him up with liquid bandage assuming it was a better choice than super glue. He was a surprisingly good sport (normally he'll kick like crazy at the slightest disturbance) and he hasn't lost a drop since I did that a couple nights ago.

My question is, what are his prospects? Will he heal? Am I going to have to worry that his abdomen will open again after a couple meals? His last molt was, very much to my surprise, his ultimate molt.

Thanks in advance

McGuiverstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My biggest advice would be to make sure he has steady access to a sufficient amount of water. You will need to make sure he stays adequately hydrated so he can replenish the hemolymph he lost. Also, I would suggest feeding him a minimal amount to prevent his abdomen from swelling enough to open again. I'm not sure if that is likely to happen, but I would stay on the side of caution. Make sure you keep an eye on him in case he manages to pop it open again. Best of luck.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My biggest advice would be to make sure he has steady access to a sufficient amount of water. You will need to make sure he stays adequately hydrated so he can replenish the hemolymph he lost. Also, I would suggest feeding him a minimal amount to prevent his abdomen from swelling enough to open again. I'm not sure if that is likely to happen, but I would stay on the side of caution. Make sure you keep an eye on him in case he manages to pop it open again. Best of luck.
He always has plenty of water. Actually, following his "surgery" was the first time I ever saw him drink from his dish. He sat for quite a while drinking, probably 30 min or more.

How minimally do you think I should feed? He's normally a hog. If I threw 6 cricks in (I don't, in case you worried a sec) he would certainly take them all at once.

McGuiverstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's good he was drinking. He knew what he had to do to replenish the fluid he lost.

How large is the spider? I would recommend a cricket once every week and a half or so. He could go longer, but I'd say that's a decent schedule for an average size spider.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
That's good he was drinking. He knew what he had to do to replenish the fluid he lost.

How large is the spider? I would recommend a cricket once every week and a half or so. He could go longer, but I'd say that's a decent schedule for an average size spider.
I always find it difficult to estimate size, since they obviously don't walk around with their legs outstretched fully. I would estimate a legspan similar to the size of my hand, so 6 inches +/- a fraction of an inch?

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
It won't "heal" as he will most lively never molt again.
Seeing as how he's a mature male, I doubt you'll have to worry about him eating so much that his expanding abdomen will leak. Continue to make sure he has water, and feed him every couple of weeks (or three) if he will take it, and find him a female.