Would you use P. murinus as a "safe" to protect valuables, given their reputation?

Woud you use a spider enclosure as a safe to protect valuables from a would-be burglar?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

atraxrobustus

Arachnoknight
Given the reputation of P. murinis it strikes me that they could be a quite effective guard for a safe buried in the substrate. What do you think?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Like that meme that is going around of someone putting car keys from a drunk person inside their tarantula tank?
Yes, I could see myself doing that. However, I could also seeing someone going and getting a tool from the kitchen to get them out as well.

atraxrobustus

Arachnoknight
Like that meme that is going around of someone putting car keys from a drunk person inside their tarantula tank?
Yes, I could see myself doing that. However, I could also seeing someone going and getting a tool from the kitchen to get them out as well.
That is true- but I imagine that you would quickly pay the price using a tool to retrieve something in the case of P. murnis, especially if one is not experienced enough to know what to expect. given my experience of them being literally the most contrary thing on the face of the planet possessing eight legs barring Atrax sp.

cold blood

Staff member
I imagine that you would quickly pay the price using a tool to retrieve something in the case of P. murnis
No, reaching into an enclosure of a defensive animal that would much rather retreat with a tool and getting something isn't all that difficult....people literally do it every day.

Now, if you had alligators or a gaboon viper or some other highly venomous snake....those would be the enclosures to hide your goodies. No one would try even if there was a gold bar visible.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
P. murinus are much more defensive than aggressive, so I have heard. I would just chuck it in with a bunch of Chihuahuas. They are some nasty little beasts and much more effective than a tarantula. Also communal!

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
It's not that hard to kill a spider, most houses have a can of Raid or Brakleen somewhere so the would be thief wouldn't even have to bring their own. Or they could just crush it with almost anything lying around. Even if you bury something in the substrate you know the spider would just dig it up and drag it next to its freshly flipped water dish. It would just give someone an excuse to kill my spiders.:(
You'd probably have better luck getting one of those research cattle stomach doors installed on a bull and hiding something in there.
I just use a safe deposit box.

J0urney

Arachnopeon
No, I would be afraid someone would hurt my friend. Anything I would have I would rather get found than someone cause death to my spider. Plus my friends know I have a guest room in case they have a few more drinks and I welcome them to stay :happy:

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Black mambas would do the job! But the thief could bring a weapon if the loot was valuable enough.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
No, Ts are just too small, it is too easy to kill the spider or dump out the enclosure. I wouldn't put my animals at risk like that. However, many years ago, whenever I had a large amount of cash in the house I used to store it under my boa constrictors water dish. She was quite large and most people were so uneducated about snakes they thought she was venomous.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
Even if you bury something in the substrate you know the spider would just dig it up and drag it next to its freshly flipped water dish.
:rofl::rofl: my favorite line.

I think the question is funny, but realistically, aside from the fact that I don't have any valuables that I would just hide and forget, the spider may have a reputation among the trantula community, but an average person just sees it as a big spider they can squish.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Given the reputation of P. murinis it strikes me that they could be a quite effective guard for a safe buried in the substrate. What do you think?
On this issue you haven't applied critical thinking skills. Good luck.

atraxrobustus

Arachnoknight
No, Ts are just too small, it is too easy to kill the spider or dump out the enclosure. I wouldn't put my animals at risk like that. However, many years ago, whenever I had a large amount of cash in the house I used to store it under my boa constrictors water dish. She was quite large and most people were so uneducated about snakes they thought she was venomous.
In my experience given what I've observed of their speed, and given the strong reputation of their venom, someone not experienced with handling would likely be bit several times over, as the specimen I had I got rid of because not only was it NOT a pet hole (though I hear they usually are) The thing was downright aggressive in that striking inanimate objects that aren't moving (like the water bowel, half a banana, or anything else that happens to accidentally get dropped in there- the banana thing is from an infamous youtube video) cannot be described as "defensive". We also have to consider that outside the hobby, most people have no clue about teleporting nor the fact that they have an ability to climb the side of the enclosure- plus the fact that correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't arachnophobia the most common phobia in existence?

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Most of the valuable things I own are firearms and assorted very sharp objects. So, the question is moot.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
I wouldn’t because mine always run and hide. Their reputation is totally opposite from reality.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I have to say that I have enjoyed this thread. It’s been fun.

This thread reminds me of a movie where a valuable gem had been stolen and the thief protected it by putting the gem in a terrarium as a display decoration. There was a poisonous snake or spider in the case, it was a long time ago...

Last edited:

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
If it’s not sitting at the bottom of a murky pond with at least one large crocodile it’s not being guarded well enough

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
I'd be more concerned about the obt webbing over everything. Also, I think i heard that some jewelry shops place live scorpions amongst their display cases to ward of thieves.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Given their reputation, I wouldn't leave an OBT with my valuables. By morning the spider would be gone, along with the valuables and I'd be getting postcards from Africa from the eight-legged thug.