Would this help your lividum to come out more often?

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
If the substrate level in a lividum burrower tank was raised so much, that after it has deposited the excavated material outside the burrow, the available space between substrate and lid is just as much as the diameter of a normal tunnel?

I am imagnining that the lividum might then perceive the lid to substrate level space as an extended part of the burrow and might feel safe to come out of the depths once in a while!

This thought hasn't come out of nowhere, but some of my lividum slings are inspiring me! Some of them have it like this already (tight and snuggly with the substrate level rather near the lid of their little cups) and I can see them every few days doing maintenance out there right under my nose.

So would the abovest idea also work for mature, old and grumpy lividums?

Cirith

Beeker

Arachnopeon
i wouldn't want to worry about opening an inclosure and having my lividum run out so i keep the burrow atleast 3 inches or some from the top..ill keep it away more when my lividum gets bigger than he is now. He's only at about an inch but id rather not be supprised when opening his cage.

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
Wouldn't knocking on the tank sent it scuttling down deeper into the burrow? (Well... I guess I just have to try :D ) For when my T's are larger I will add feeding ports to the lids of the tanks. That way I don't need to worry about any escapes.

Beeker

Arachnopeon
it does go in it's borrow but id rather be safe than sorry. lol this is my first lividum and iv'e heard a decent amount about their rep so im not going to let it get the best of me.

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
I guess then I just have to invent some kind of airlock system so that I can do for example water dish maintenance but have the T locked in. Should actually be a pretty easy system in a burrower tank.

Brando

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My lividium comes out every night, and sits at the top of the borrow, some times it even just sits on the walls of the enclosure late at night. I see mine plenty, i dunno why everyone has such a dislike for this tarantula.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Sounds like a deli-cup to me :)

Anyhow, even if it did "feel like a burrow".. what do you think happens when you take the lid off? Mad H. lividum, I would imagine.. with nowhere to retreat to. Keeping this species is like having a flower that blooms only once a year for twenty seconds. I think you just gotta accept that..

Bill

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
Cirith Ungol said:
This thought hasn't come out of nowhere, but some of my lividum slings are inspiring me! Some of them have it like this already (tight and snuggly with the substrate level rather near the lid of their little cups) and I can see them every few days doing maintenance out there right under my nose.
I guess I should have said it right up there: It's not night/dark when I see them do their maintenance in the top level of the cup. I can even shine a white flashlight on them and they continue whatever they were doing!