Worried about a stressed tarantula

James1330

Arachnopeon
Worried about my tarantula
I have a juvenile brachypelma albopilosum and recently she has been displaying some odd behaviour.
She has recently started climbing the walls of her enclosure and suddenly become very active. Then today I noticed her in a stress curl position. She has never displayed such behaviour and I'm unsure of what could be causing her to do this . Could she be stressed?
Please help

sasker

Arachnoprince
You have a Tliltocatl albopilosum :D

More information is needed for us to say what, if anything, is wrong. Could you post a picture of the entire setup for your tarantula? How long do you have it? Has anything changed recently in the way you keep your tarantula? Did it happen after a molt? Is it eating alright? Does it have a hide? Does it have access to water?

James1330

Arachnopeon

More information is needed for us to say what, if anything, is wrong. Could you post a picture of the entire setup for your tarantula? How long do you have it? Has anything changed recently in the way you keep your tarantula? Did it happen after a molt? Is it eating alright? Does it have a hide? Does it have access to water?

Nothing changed in the way I keep her. She has access to a Cork bark hide which she covered with eco earth and made it into a burrow. She has a small water dish, ventilation but refused to eat for the first time yesterday. She emerged a few weeks ago after molting in which she barricaded her burrow for 2 months. I don't know what may be causing her behaviour

Last edited by a moderator:

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Nothing changed in the way I keep her. She has access to a Cork bark hide which she covered with eco earth and made it into a burrow. She has a small water dish, ventilation but refused to eat for the first time yesterday. She emerged a few weeks ago after molting in which she barricaded her burrow for 2 months. I don't know what may be causing her behaviour
Sounds like it may have molted out as a mature male. Pics would be good.

sasker

Arachnoprince
As @Ghost56 said, your 'she' could be a 'he'. Does your tarantula now have hooks on the underside of his front legs? Are there a sort of boxing gloves at the end of his pedipalps? Did he make a web in the corner of his enclosure?

Mature males tend to climb and roam about in their enclosures in search for a female. They eat a lot less and are often not interested in food.

James1330

Arachnopeon
As @Ghost56 said, your 'she' could be a 'he'. Does your tarantula now have hooks on the underside of his front legs? Are there a sort of boxing gloves at the end of his pedipalps? Did he make a web in the corner of his enclosure?

Mature males tend to climb and roam about in their enclosures in search for a female. They eat a lot less and are often not interested in food.
She made no web in the corner of her enclosure and as far as I can tell there are no hooks on her front legs. Maybe she's just an active t because I can't find any logical cause for her behaviour

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
T albo males get hooks, so if it has no hooks its immature.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It van be a male, and it can be a female. Impossible to see in the picture

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
I will say that I've noted a lot of users' spiders basically changing personalities after moults. It does sound like MM behaviour but I don't want to be so quick to say it's just that. OP, is your spider still crazy active?

James1330

Arachnopeon
I will say that I've noted a lot of users' spiders basically changing personalities after moults. It does sound like MM behaviour but I don't want to be so quick to say it's just that. OP, is your spider still crazy active?
Since my original post he/she has calmed down quite a bit. She is still climbing but seems a little more settled. Ive had a look and there are no hooks on the legs as far as I can tell. What confused me is that my albopilosum so sold to me as a "confirmed female" juvenile.
She has never displayed any dislike before to her living environment, food etc. So is it possible he/she may have changed personality after the molt? :bored:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Even females CAN have periods of some climbing. I have longterm pet tarantulas that have periods of climbing but very rarely. You can rearrenge the cage if it climbs more than can consider normal. A deeper more wellpacked substrate, a larger retreat and so on. Confirmed female you say. Sellers iften say this to sell tarantulas mote readily, and many wont or dont know how to sex a taranntula. It can be a female, but its no guarantie cos a seller says that

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
It's not a mature male, I see no tibial hooks or bulbous pedipalps. Just your spider being a spider. The substrate looks very dry though, she may benefit from keeping a corner more moist or overfilling the waterdish now and then :)

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A T albopilosum should be kept on moist sub if you ask me. Those are no B hamorii

James1330

Arachnopeon
It's not a mature male, I see no tibial hooks or bulbous pedipalps. Just your spider being a spider. The substrate looks very dry though, she may benefit from keeping a corner more moist or overfilling the waterdish now and then :)
How often would you recommend over flowing her water dish?? :p

Willa

Arachnopeon
I do mine once a week and keep that corner damp. Otherwise, bone dry sub. No molt issues or anything. Mine becomes an arboreal if the sub is any more moist than that.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Once a week is often enough. Don't swamp it, just overflow it a little.
If you're worried about mould you could water a corner every week but rotate the corners. That way the spider has a moist corner every week but you're not dealing with a permanently damp spot.