Words and words

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi lads!

Since this part of the forum seems to be a bit on the silent side, I thought I'd share some words on my little newly aquired Scolo subsp subsp's. I'm pretty new to the hobby as I'm sure most of you have noticed. I've got both scorps, Scolos and a score of T's. The scorps are three P. Imperators. Boring noob species according to some, but big, black beautiful scorpions to me. They are excellent display animals too for that matter, all minding their business after their own mind. The T's are all nymphs or slings, so I really don't have much to say about them, except that they seem to be material for good companions in the years to come.

But the Scolos are my current favorites, hands down. Especially one of them. They both molted after about a week, hitting 2" roughly, but one of them are distingtly thicker and more active. I can't belive how fast and strong they are for their size, and how fearless they(well at least the thicker one) seem to be when it comes to hunting and taking down prey. Just this morning I made an unusual observation though.

Last night I put a rather large cricket in the thicker ones box. The cricket is at least three times thicker over the back body, and about a third-fourth of the pedes entire length. This morning I check up on the pede, and I see the cricket is still there. But he is halfway down in the substrate head first. Alive, but rather inactive when I touch it. I've never seen a cricket doing this before, they usually sit on the highest point or at least where they are able to see their sorroundings, not half burried. I lift the shelter where the pede usually hides, and he scuttles away, straight for the corner where the cricket is located, starts burrowing down at the side of it, but meet it halfway under a lump of substrate and attacks it instantly, almost dragging it further down the substrate. Then he was a bit stressed by me and my flashlight and started to drag the big cricket around and squeeezing it through tight spots and all. Wow, the strength and determination!

So this doesn't sound strange of course, but I almost think that this pede stores his food. Why? Perhaps he previously attacked the cricket, and put it head down in the dirt, perhaps he didin't. But to support my theory I can mention another time where I put half a zoophobas in his box and it started to move around. Soon after that it was gone, perhaps burrowed dispite that I cut in two. A couple of days later I put a dead cricket in his box and when I check up on it some hours later, there's only some legs and the head left, all dry. But besides it lies the dead zoophobas that I put there days before, untouched (he molted around those days) but very much dead. So what happened, did the pede put it beside the crick as a little storage? I don't know. Perhaps you guys have a clue...

I really adore my little warrior no matter what!

Kasha

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wow...
I am a millipede kind of girl but I found your posting interesting. I wonder what he could have been doing. Sounds like he thought you might be trying to take it when he ran with it. But the half burying it...wierd. And it was still a little alive...creepy.
Do any of your other pedes do that?

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well no, but I only have to of these babies. After some more consideration, it could be possible that the cricket was only searching his way down towards the heating pad I have under that corner. Still weird about the dead zoophobas being placed next to the remains of the cricket I mentioned in another paragraph.