Wood Turtle intelligence

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I liked it, I remember reading back in the late 1970's that they are "intelligent" for a reptile. I remember reading that they have been known to climb chain-link fences. But if so, they probably plop to the ground on the other side. Have you heard of such a thing? I haven't tried to look for any stories like that on the internet. I'm pretty sure I read it in a small reptile and amphibian book I had when I was a kid.

findi

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I liked it, I remember reading back in the late 1970's that they are "intelligent" for a reptile. I remember reading that they have been known to climb chain-link fences. But if so, they probably plop to the ground on the other side. Have you heard of such a thing? I haven't tried to look for any stories like that on the internet. I'm pretty sure I read it in a small reptile and amphibian book I had when I was a kid.
Hi, thanks very much. Yes - there has long been speculation that they were capable of learning, adapting very well to new situations. They and others will climb fences...but a fence is far removed from what they encounter in nature,- not likely that they will "figure" out how to climb down other side (I can't criticize , I've fallen off my share of fences, roofs, riverbanks!; once broke ribs falling out of a tree, but I retained my grasp on the live trap I'd retrieved, which contained my first flying squirrel!). African spurred tortoises have the best solution - they go through or under most fences! A trio that a friend kept at large (not a good idea!) learned that the sun "moved" from window to window as the day progressed, and would follow, even thought they could not see the ext room from each basking site. If a door was closed, they would crash against it for as long as it took to gain attention.

Nice to hear from you, Best, Frank

Tortoises and terrestrial turtles seem to have a better sense of depth perception than aquatic species, due to their environmental needs. A box turtle placed on a table will usually peer over edge and not fall, while a painted often plunges right over the side.

Thomas2015

Arachnopeon
I don't know about wood turtles, but I used to help take care of a large Russian Tortoise at a wildlife refuge I worked at. Every time I would take a cart full of supplies through the refuge, he would sneak up, crawl under it and tip it over while I wasn't looking. I thought it was just natural instinct for a few weeks (trying to burrow under something) until one day in particular. He was standing right by the cart, and I waited for him to trundle by before I stepped into a hawk cage and locked the door. Immediately he did a u-turn and began crawling as fast as his little legs could carry him to the cart, and before I could get there, he'd tipped the thing over. Then he took two steps back and GLARED at me, and I thought to myself, "the little booger . . . he's doing that ON PURPOSE!!!!" Intelligent tortoise, I learned he did it to all of the new volunteers for the refuge. Smartest and most devious reptile I ever knew.

pnshmntMMA

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awesome article. I gave up all my Ts to focus on turtles. I plan to add a terrestrial to my collection very soon!

Any recommendations?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi, thanks very much. Yes - there has long been speculation that they were capable of learning, adapting very well to new situations. They and others will climb fences...but a fence is far removed from what they encounter in nature,- not likely that they will "figure" out how to climb down other side (I can't criticize , I've fallen off my share of fences, roofs, riverbanks!; once broke ribs falling out of a tree, but I retained my grasp on the live trap I'd retrieved, which contained my first flying squirrel!). African spurred tortoises have the best solution - they go through or under most fences! A trio that a friend kept at large (not a good idea!) learned that the sun "moved" from window to window as the day progressed, and would follow, even thought they could not see the ext room from each basking site. If a door was closed, they would crash against it for as long as it took to gain attention.

Nice to hear from you, Best, Frank

Tortoises and terrestrial turtles seem to have a better sense of depth perception than aquatic species, due to their environmental needs. A box turtle placed on a table will usually peer over edge and not fall, while a painted often plunges right over the side.

He kept them in the house? I had a sulcata for at least 9 years, can't quite remember, a couple of times I had to keep it in the bathroom for some reason, as you know they can ruin wood trim and doors real fast. I kept it in the backyard, came out a lot when it smelled the grass as I was mowing. I have an acre of natural grasses so I let it pick an choose, never had to feed it, it was extremely healthy. A few months a year I would kept it in my garage in the back of a truck when it was too cold for it outside. In the Summer one day I noticed a little hole in the chicken wire on a gate, no big deal. A couple of days later it was bigger, I couldn't figure it out. Finally one day I saw the tortoise working on the hole!, it was the tortoise the whole time making the hole there. I fixed the problem. Like you said, very persistent animals. I experienced the natural, "fear of heights" instinct it evolved with in the tortoise when it was in the truck, really funny. It would look down over the tailgate before I closed it, it's eyes would get a little bigger and then would frantically go into reverse for several feet. I experimented with it a few times. I've seen what you're talking about, a water turtle would jump from a table naturally expecting to splash in water to get away, no need for the instinctual fear there. But I've also had some pretty dumb box turtles haha, some other individuals have seemed much "smarter" than their buddies of the same sps. The sulcata I had finally broke out and I refuse to get another until I move and and have an escape-proof area. I know they get out often and has been a problem with rescue centers getting them in all the time.

findi

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Awesome article. I gave up all my Ts to focus on turtles. I plan to add a terrestrial to my collection very soon!

Any recommendations?
Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated. What sort of space do you have available? Are you interested in tortoises or terrestrial turtles that spend some time in water (i.e box turtles)? If you have no specific preference, Russian Tortoises are a good choice due to their small size, relative hardiness, etc. But even they need a good deal of room, and glas aquariums are not suitable. please let me know and I'll send some ideas, articles, etc. Best, Frank

pnshmntMMA

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated. What sort of space do you have available? Are you interested in tortoises or terrestrial turtles that spend some time in water (i.e box turtles)? If you have no specific preference, Russian Tortoises are a good choice due to their small size, relative hardiness, etc. But even they need a good deal of room, and glas aquariums are not suitable. please let me know and I'll send some ideas, articles, etc. Best, Frank
Well since winter is rapidly approaching I won't be able to build a pen and hibernate anything. I'm waiting for my friend's Eastern Box Turtles to lay eggs. He promised me one from the clutch. I used to keep them years ago. I'm looking for something pretty small, that I can keep in a glass aquarium. I love my two eastern painteds but their tank is going to need an upgrade eventually and I doubt ill have the space for 2 large aquatic turtle tanks. Looking for something that is very handleable and friendly.

findi

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
He kept them in the house? I had a sulcata for at least 9 years, can't quite remember, a couple of times I had to keep it in the bathroom for some reason, as you know they can ruin wood trim and doors real fast. I kept it in the backyard, came out a lot when it smelled the grass as I was mowing. I have an acre of natural grasses so I let it pick an choose, never had to feed it, it was extremely healthy. A few months a year I would kept it in my garage in the back of a truck when it was too cold for it outside. In the Summer one day I noticed a little hole in the chicken wire on a gate, no big deal. A couple of days later it was bigger, I couldn't figure it out. Finally one day I saw the tortoise working on the hole!, it was the tortoise the whole time making the hole there. I fixed the problem. Like you said, very persistent animals. I experienced the natural, "fear of heights" instinct it evolved with in the tortoise when it was in the truck, really funny. It would look down over the tailgate before I closed it, it's eyes would get a little bigger and then would frantically go into reverse for several feet. I experimented with it a few times. I've seen what you're talking about, a water turtle would jump from a table naturally expecting to splash in water to get away, no need for the instinctual fear there. But I've also had some pretty dumb box turtles haha, some other individuals have seemed much "smarter" than their buddies of the same sps. The sulcata I had finally broke out and I refuse to get another until I move and and have an escape-proof area. I know they get out often and has been a problem with rescue centers getting them in all the time.
Thanks for the interesting observation. he kept them in a huge apartment in Manhattan..not something I would recommend, and actually all sorts of hazards involved (fire, Salmonella transmission, etc.). I've seen the same re turtles and their reactions to heights - lots of individual variation. Best, Frank