wolf spider id help please? pics included

spider pest

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello!
I did some headlamp hunting a couple nights ago and visited a small lake surrounded by a sandy beach peppered with dry vegetation and pine trees. Found spiders like this in great numbers, although burrows are not obvious or even visible in this location during the day. Most spiders were nearly the same size as these, with some being a bit smaller. Unless these are juvenile, I did not witness any obvious males. These two individuals are burrowing in captivity, but seem to spend the day buried with no visible hole. Not sure what these are, and haven't found any dead ringers on the board or bugguide.

Individual 1

Individual 2 - No measurement photo for this one, but it's very similar in size to the first.

Again, I'm not sure what I have here. Would appreciate any help.

Thanks!

spider pest

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks! I was actually looking at your old "carolina wolf..getting closer" thread and thought what we had was similar. Not a lot of info on these out there...what size do they max out at?

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
2 inch legsan. i found them in sand hanging outside of pencil size burrows. they were very plentiful. brought a dozen home; still have two females. the males are cooler looking imo; their colors are more pronounced.

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here's my old thread. Underside is the same exact pattern. ID'd as Pardosa moesta

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=129431

EDIT: HA guess that mine may have been mis ID'd after all But oh well. It's a wolf spider, and I was happy.
I'm reasonably sure your spider was not P. moesta.

Pardosa moesta is a small spider, not easily identified unless you look at the epigyne or palps. Here are pictures of a confirmed pair (from my yard). Female:

The male is about the same size (BL = 5mm):

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm reasonably sure your spider was not P. moesta.

Pardosa moesta is a small spider, not easily identified unless you look at the epigyne or palps. Here are pictures of a confirmed pair (from my yard). Female:

The male is about the same size (BL = 5mm):

Yea I looked up Pardosa moesta and Hogna baltimoriana. I definitely had the latter so it seems.

And crpy said he was 99.999% sure it was P. moesta....oh well. It was a fun spider to keep regardless of what it was!

Thank you for the photographs of moesta....especially the female. I could only find photos of males on bugguide.

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thank you for the photographs of moesta....especially the female. I could only find photos of males on bugguide.
You're welcome! I had already posted that picture of the female on BugGuide; but, I should post some more there to balance out the pictures of males, showing the spider from difference angles. The little buggers are running all over the place at this time of year. :)

spider pest

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Haha looks as if I'm a little late to this, but I appreciate the input none the less. I've been visiting the location where these were collected a couple times a week, and the spider scene is different every time I'm there. The last 2 times, these guys have not been as visible. From this site, I have also collected what I believe to be hogna helluo with egg sac, what might be a mature h. baltimoriana, and a burrowing Lycosidae I'm not sure about at all. Pics coming soon for those.

In the meantime, the above two burrow and eat readily. No sign of moulting yet though. I don't have them in deep substrate, so they've carving out multiple horizontal tunnels. Quite impressive.