Winter and its heating - what about my humidity level?

Crounchaholic

Arachnopeon
Hey!

As you all know, it gets freakin cold in Canada, and during winter, we use a lot of heat. This is devastating for the humidity inside the home.... so how do you guys do it??

How do you keep the humidity level high for the Ts during winter?

I have a humidifier but it's not doing the trick... I can't go passed 70 for my Psalmopoeus.

Do you guys have any suggestions on how I can make sure my Ts are happy through winter?

Thanks!

Crounchaholic

Arachnopeon
Yeah I do... everyday I check it and make sure it's damp but the overall humidity level doesn't rise over 70. :confused:

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah I do... everyday I check it and make sure it's damp but the overall humidity level doesn't rise over 70. :confused:
Less ventilation.
Maintaining humidity inside an enclosure shouldn't ever be a problem.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
do you have an acual T room? if so just use a space heater, and go buy 2 or 3 gold fish bowls fill them with water and hydrogen peroxide(to prevent the water from going stagnent)

i find if the acual room youkeep hem in stays at 45% to 50% humidity the cages are lots easier to keep humid, while still alowing certain species who are dry loving to get some but not much humidity.

now if you dont have a room and are forced to maintain it cage by cage, then id say lots of misting and overflowing the water dish. to be honest Ts will do fine with less than optimal humidity levels(excepts a few species I.E. blondi, apophosis and asian burrowers) also you may consider you have perfect humidity with a crappy hygrometer.

Crounchaholic

Arachnopeon
I keep them in a small heated room, with the humidifier.

Also, my Cyriocosmus Elegans hasn't been eating in a month and she made a little house under the moss, and she blocked all entrances, I guess she doesn't like the light, but I NEVER see her. I'm afraid she might be dying or something! I tried feeding her recently, no movement, nothing... do you think it might be related to humidity?... I'm starting to get worried.

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep them in a small heated room, with the humidifier.

Also, my Cyriocosmus Elegans hasn't been eating in a month and she made a little house under the moss, and she blocked all entrances, I guess she doesn't like the light, but I NEVER see her. I'm afraid she might be dying or something! I tried feeding her recently, no movement, nothing... do you think it might be related to humidity?... I'm starting to get worried.
She is doing something......she's molting. ;)

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
no, that sounds like a premolt symptom..she will come back out with some new skin. just give her time. and quite freaking out.:)

Crounchaholic

Arachnopeon
She is doing something......she's molting. ;)
I SOOOOOOOOO hope that's what it is!

Do you think it'll carry the skin out of it's house when it's done? and show it's little nose? Or act like the anti-social light hating freak she appears to be? :?

Crounchaholic

Arachnopeon
no, that sounds like a premolt symptom..she will come back out with some new skin. just give her time. and quite freaking out.:)

Hey I love my Ts, don't blame me for caring :}
It's just been more than a month since I've seen her... she used to like parading.

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I SOOOOOOOOO hope that's what it is!

Do you think it'll carry the skin out of it's house when it's done? and show it's little nose? Or act like the anti-social light hating freak she appears to be? :?
She may remove the skin from the house, and keep in mind that most Ts are rather "anti-social" while in premolt. :)