Wimpy Curly Hair

Iowa T Keeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My Curly Hair is over an inch in leg span and wont take a full grown cricket. He runs like a scared little girl from it. He hasn't eaten in a week or so it must be hungry unless it is premolt, but I dont think so because the abdomen is still light colored. I guess I will just have to baby him/her for now, but where is that voracious appetite that the curly is supposed to have, right now my red knee is the one attacking anything that moves, my curly doesn't eat much at all

xanderTluv

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
sounds like pre-molt behavior to me! It may go on pre-molt fasting even though its abdomen is still light in color. Just watch her abdomen, offer food every few days, until you notice it darkening, keep checking to see if it starts to shrink or wrinkle! If it stays fat, nothing to worry about! Keep us posted!

Eric

Last edited:

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
when my curly goes into premolt it seals up its burrow and doesnt come out for a week and a half to 2 weeks. i think hes just scared of the cricket.
offer it a medium cricket, or better yet start it out with small crickets just to see if its willing to eat live prey. i had to plre-kill the cricket until mine reached 1.5"

some t's have a stronger feeding response than others....

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Full grown cricket would tower over a sling that size... I dont offer full growns until the T is about 1.75-2 inches... at which point it wont eat for at least 10 days...

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the only time u should feed adult crix to sling is if the sling is aggressive enough to eat them. if ur T isn't very aggressive then the T could end upn a meal. either ur T should be above the 2 inch mark or pretty darn aggressive.

mike

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
You really shouldn't be feeding them anything too much larger than the size of the abdomen... So for a T with a 1" legspan I wouldn't go much over ½" sized crickets. But if you are going to be offering prey that large, I would make sure it is prekilled. I use freshly thawed crickets quite a bit, the Ts don't mind a bit.