will he survive?

prodgers69

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a mature male Lasiodora parahybana, who is attempting a post ultimate molt, does anyone know what his chances are?, assuming he survives will he still be able to breed?

theevilreddevil

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
asfar as i know males that make it thu lose all sexual organs and it wont be able 2 mate :(

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
The fact that he is attempting it already makes him one step above the rest. Most will death curl before attempting to molt as I understand. Good luck.

prodgers69

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
He Made it

He molted on 1st December, he's alive, but he is still webbed up in his hide, so can't see if he came through alright, just have to wait till he comes out.

Beccas_824

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
theevilreddevil said:
asfar as i know males that make it thu lose all sexual organs and it wont be able 2 mate :(
So does that mean he looses his boxing gloves and hooks as well? Will he still look like a mature male T?
Thats awesome that he made it-not something you see everyday!

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The main sexual organs are the palpal emboli ("boxing gloves"), since these are needed to transfer the sperm to the female. I wouldn't be surprised to find that he has lost one or both palps and, if so, he won't be able to mate.

I think this is the first L. parahybana that I've heard of that has survived a post-ultimate molt.

Also, it seems that I hear about NW species surviving/attempting post-ultimate molts much more often than OW species. Has anyone else noticed this or is just my selective reading?

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think my mature male rosie is gonna try to molt again, he has been alive for almost 2 years since his ultimate molt.

-Matty

prodgers69

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
didn't make it

Checked on him this morning and he was out of his hide, and looks like he didn't survive, he's partly curled up and not moving. He had lost both palps and one front leg during the molt.:mad:
He had spent 3 weeks in with my female parahybana, so hopefully, i'll get an sac from her, although i did not actually see them do any thing, but then I wasn't watching 24/7.

fleshstain

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
sorry to hear about the loss....on the bright side, you did get to experience something a lot of people will never get to....hopefully some lovin took place and you'll get an eggsac....