Wild jumping spider disease observation

executivebexley

Arachnopeon
Yesterday I caught two woolly jumping spiders that were on my wall, Pseudeuophrys lanigera, one was a mature female around 6mm and the other a tiny sling maybe 3mm.

Both spiders didn't seem to be in control of their body's, they both would walk forward a step or two, flip out and hop from leg to leg all over the place and often flip on their backs, kicking and arching their abdomens inwards towards their legs, not arching down toward the ground to flip, they couldn't get up easily

I kept them both overnights in separate little catch pots, both had a small fruitfly each and "ran" (seizures) away from them, I put them back outside this morning, I don't want them in the same room as the proper little collection just incase! And washed the pots out after too.

Any ideas what this would be? How did the adult make it to adulthood of affected? Pesticide? DKS syndrome? Something different?

Will see if any other spiders are doing this in locale, it's interesting

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Since it happened to two of them in the same time frame that would pretty much rule out fungus or other invasive organisms. What you described is basically matches dyskinesia which is a very common effect of pesticides.

Last edited:

executivebexley

Arachnopeon
Since it happened to two of them in the same time frame that would pretty much rule out fungus or other invasive organisms. What you described is basically matches dyskinesia which is a very common effect of pesticides.
Maybe the local council sprayed the public planters or cleaned the wall or something, but I suppose that's the idea of it!!

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Maybe the local council sprayed the public planters or cleaned the wall or something, but I suppose that's the idea of it!!
It's always a good idea to keep up with your local government's chemical warfare against the environment. Doubly so when you keep any animals. Triply so if you have or yours have chemical sensitivities.

Aline

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree, sounds like it could be pesticides or other chemicals around your house. Even some kinds of plants could have this effect, I believe.