Wild-caught Tarantula Experiences?

julesee

Arachnopeon
Hello all, I live in Arizona, and there are lots of T's in the desert here. A friend has offered me quite a bit of adult T's. Will they be okay in a ten gallon? Or will they die off. I'm looking to breed these.

I've attached two pictures of the T's. I think they are A. cancerides.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
the first one wont last long at all. not sure about the second.
the first is a mature male. cant tell by the second pic.
a 10 gallon is bigger than they need tho. they will do ok in it but its a bit overkill.
i wouldnt keep them together tho unless you divide the tank till you want them to breed

Rounder

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Drachen is right, that first 1 appears to be a mature male and it won't live long. Best bet is to find a female to pair him with or turn him loose in an area you know has tarantulas.

a 10 gallon would be more than enough room for 1 of them. You can't keep more than 1 spider per enclosure - just in case you didn't know that.

julesee

Arachnopeon
Well, i'm getting 5 females and 5 MMs. I just figured a WC t would need more room than a CB or they would die from stress. I suppose what I'll end up doing is just getting 5 10 gallon tanks and dividing them in half. I currently have a 10 gallon split to home an A. versicolor and a vinegaroon. I was just curious if spiders from the wild died off easily.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was just curious if spiders from the wild died off easily
They adjust well for the most part. Sometimes they will already be harboring a harmful parasite or disease that might affect them in the future and maybe kill them, but from what I hear and have seen if you provide the right conditions they will do just fine.

Now if someone could just release some Ts up here in my neck of the woods so I can catch them that would be great. :)

Rounder

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, i'm getting 5 females and 5 MMs. I just figured a WC t would need more room than a CB or they would die from stress. I suppose what I'll end up doing is just getting 5 10 gallon tanks and dividing them in half. I currently have a 10 gallon split to home an A. versicolor and a vinegaroon. I was just curious if spiders from the wild died off easily.
WC Ts don't need any more room than captive bred individuals. The WC versions aren't "thinking" any different.

Generally speaking, splittingtanks is a bad idea - too often you end up with something making lunch out of something else.

As TL said - sometimes WC specimens will have a parasite of some sort and die from that, otherwise they are just as hardy, if not more so than CB specimens.