Wild Caught Chaetopelma:D

Vidaro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Where i live there are 2 known species and one is endemic.
Lately i have been very interested in these species again and today i finally got one after asking a farmer to save one for me in case he finds one ( he usualy steps on them). Im not sure though if its a C karlamani or a C. olivaceum bcoz it matches both sizes since its really small Atm (could be a juvi C. olivaceum, or adult karlamani)
Anyway here are some photos its so small i had to go macro on it but my cam is really old so they came out like lakjsdlaksj

i hope u can at least tell me if it looks healthy. Im guessing we disturbed it while hybernating since a few days ago it was around 7c degrees outside therefore the abdomen is not so full, oh and where it was found there was a molt.
body lenght is about 1 inch and when i got it it looked like it was in a death curle.
Should i wait a bit to feed it?

Last edited:

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
very nice!

i'd let it settle in before feeding it, but i imagine you could go ahead and try. if it doesn't take it, i'd wait a few days and try again.

-dan

edit: there was a molt? skimmed over that part! look at it's fangs.. are the fangs white, a reddish-brown color, or are they black? i wouldn't try feeding until the fangs are solid black, that's a good indicator that the exoskeleton has fully hardened after a molt.

Vidaro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well it was caught about 5 days ago so it should b ok.
My main problem is feeding it,there are no pet shops selling anything for exotic animals here (crickets roaches,etc...) so most is wildcaught moastly mantids and beetles, but can a T eat a beetle? i know my Centipede doesnt:p

Vidaro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ok so i gave it a locust wich it ate right away, it webbed arround the entrance of its hide so im guessing it has no problems with the new enclosure
Thnx bliss
And if anyone wanna give any advise i more than happy to accept it :)

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ok so i gave it a locust wich it ate right away, it webbed arround the entrance of its hide so im guessing it has no problems with the new enclosure
Thnx bliss
And if anyone wanna give any advise i more than happy to accept it :)

i imagine the locusts you are catching would be fine.

but-
1. make sure that the prey items you catch for your T(s) haven't been around any pesticides

2. make sure that the prey items have no stingers, mandibles, or other body parts that could harm your T(s).

-dan

Vidaro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i keep scorpions so i know the basics. the pray i catch is usualy from the forest or arround the salt lake (protected parks) so theyr as natural as they can get.
unfortunatly they might have some mites but its a risk im willing to take since most of my speciements are wild caught atm

im looking for more info on molting and other difficulties that may occure,
Do they fast like scorps?

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Cool T! I've heard these are quite docile for OW tarantulas.

Vidaro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i guess... it depends on how u handle then , if u corner them they will absolutely not hesitate to strike, this one i found now is extremely docile for an OW and especially a wild caught one.