Why!?

Dyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Amphibians - All venomous frogs, toads, turtles.

REALLY?! turtles under amphibians..... amazing.

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've seen turtles classified as amphibians before, but I forget where. For some reason I recall it as being in a biology class or something. It greatly confused me.

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've seen turtles classified as amphibians before, but I forget where. For some reason I recall it as being in a biology class or something. It greatly confused me.
They aren't true amphibians, but some people have called them as such because some species are said to use the skin in their throats and tail to absorb oxygen directly from the water.

They do this during winter when they hibernate underwater. They are able to do it because their metabolisms slow down as it gets colder, and the cold water holds much more oxygen.

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd be ok with not owning venomous frogs (?!) or "sub-human primates," but no spiders or scorpions? What the heck?! :mad:

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Idiotic ordinances such as these pop up everywhere around the U.S. and beyond, nothing new. But this one was particularly stupid seeing as many of the animals banned were completely harmless and others were already illegal to own under their state law.

Like many other counties with similar ordinances, I doubt that any of these regulations will ever be enforced. It would surely take local pet stores out of the live animal business and cost local business revenue.

I remember when I lived in Fairfax a few years ago, "anything poisonous or venomous" was outlawed [specifically outlining invertebrates]. They didn't enforce it once that I knew of and pet shops still freely displayed their tarantulas/scorpions.

TBH

deathcrew

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I live in PA and have no idea were they are talking about.I just know it's not around here due to the fact that 95% of home owners here are gun owners and don't take lightly to someone coming on our property and telling us what we can and can't do! Small localized government is a joke!!

jesters22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Idiotic ordinances such as these pop up everywhere around the U.S. and beyond, nothing new. But this one was particularly stupid seeing as many of the animals banned were completely harmless and others were already illegal to own under their state law.

Like many other counties with similar ordinances, I doubt that any of these regulations will ever be enforced. It would surely take local pet stores out of the live animal business and cost local business revenue.

I remember when I lived in Fairfax a few years ago, "anything poisonous or venomous" was outlawed [specifically outlining invertebrates]. They didn't enforce it once that I knew of and pet shops still freely displayed their tarantulas/scorpions.

TBH

srry to thread hijack. but i have relatives in front royal. last name of leale. one is a teacher and wrestling coach. the other is my uncle same last name haha.

and to the thread subject. this is stupid. all from ppl just being afraid of nature.. u live in nature get used to it. u cant hide from things. and ppl should stop being pansy's

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
srry to thread hijack. but i have relatives in front royal. last name of leale. one is a teacher and wrestling coach. the other is my uncle same last name haha.
Oh cool, I don't know that I've ever heard of them though.

It is a nice town... if you don't mind huge bridges!

TBH

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd be ok with not owning venomous frogs (?!) or "sub-human primates," but no spiders or scorpions? What the heck?! :mad:
Poison dart frog ring a bell? They're not even POISONOUS in captivity...they lack something in their diet that allows for them to be dangerous in the wild!

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
State laws are silly. Texas as well as every other state doesn't enforce the 4" rule for turtles and they made a big to-do about that law in the beginning. I see little turtles being sold in pet stores and feed stores ALL THE TIME. The only thing that they ever took action against was when I reported a pet store that illegally sold horned lizards in horrible conditions. (All the lizards were wild caught) Not to mention they kept baby unfixed ferrets in a bird cage and a full grown Flemish giant was in a 10 gallon tank.

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Poison dart frog ring a bell? They're not even POISONOUS in captivity...they lack something in their diet that allows for them to be dangerous in the wild!
Wild dart frogs technically poisonous, since they secret they poison from their skin.

A venomous animal is one that injects the toxin like our arachnids, as well as some snakes, insects, fish, jellyfish etc.