Why is my T curled up in a ball?

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
because she was cold, its frigid in here
Define "frigid." In Houston, Texas (where we're currently staying) "frigid" is anything below 70 F (21 C). In Calgary, Alberta, Canada, "frigid" is freezing or below. Sometimes WAY below freezing!

Basically, we need to know a lot more about where you're keeping the tarantula and how you're keeping it. It also would be a good idea to not use poorly defined terms like "frigid," but give actual temperatures, etc. Photos of the cage and its place in the room might help a lot, too.

Lastly, you sound a bit like a newbie, although that may simply be because you aren't very verbose. Perhaps you should read http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/stansrant.html. Pay particular attention to the section on the books. It's important.

We await your reply. Best of luck.

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello there Stan, nice to see you hanging around. How are things in Texas right now???

Last edited:

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello there Stan, nice to see you hanging around. How are things in Texas right now???
It's actually frosted down here once or twice in the last few weeks. :eek:

On the other hand, we've had the air conditioner turned on almost as many days as not.

Life is tough. {D

I am still wondering where all the tarantula enthusiasts are around here. So far I only know of two or three. Come on people! If you live in the Houston-Galveston area, let's hear from you!

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
It's actually frosted down here once or twice in the last few weeks. :eek:

On the other hand, we've had the air conditioner turned on almost as many days as not.

Life is tough. {D

I am still wondering where all the tarantula enthusiasts are around here. So far I only know of two or three. Come on people! If you live in the Houston-Galveston area, let's hear from you!
I'm in the Deer Park area if you're familiar with it. How'd you like the weather this past weekend? I liked the nice break from frigid temps of 55 ;)

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I thought it was because she was cold but she remains in that position even when I put her in front of the heater. Do you think its because the heater is dry hot air? Do you think she positions herself like that because its too dry, too cold, or too hot?
Arthropod: You have not responded to my query of a few days ago. Has the tarantula gotten better? Do you still need help? What's happening?

Last edited:

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm in the Deer Park area if you're familiar with it. How'd you like the weather this past weekend? I liked the nice break from frigid temps of 55 ;)
First, to everyone on this thread: I managed to hijack this thread. Sorry. That was not my intention.

To Canth: Send me an E-mail at schultz@ucalgary.ca.

Enjoy your 8-legged little buddies!

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Arthropod: You have not responded to my query of a few days ago. Has the tarantula gotten better? Do you still need help? What's happening?
Arthropod was a troll, and has been banned. Hopefully the T has gotten better.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Arthropod was a troll, and has been banned. Hopefully the T has gotten better.
Out of curiosity, and please forgive my ignorance, what is a "troll" and why might it result in someone being banned? In my current state of innocence I've never run across the term used in this way before. If this shouldn't be discussed on an open forum you may contact me privately at schultz@ucalgary.ca.

Thanks,

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Out of curiosity, and please forgive my ignorance, what is a "troll" and why might it result in someone being banned? In my current state of innocence I've never run across the term used in this way before. If this shouldn't be discussed on an open forum you may contact me privately at schultz@ucalgary.ca.

Thanks,

As far as I know, there's nothing wrong with discussing this publicly, since it's a matter of public record. And I don't know Arthropod personally, so I'm not commenting on their reputation or anything, just clarifying the action mods here took.

Troll is basically internet speak for "a person who goes to internet forums, and deliberately incites everyone's tempers for the sheer pleasure of riling everyone up." Basically, they start "flamewars" (internet fights) amongst members, just for the sake of doing so. Like, for instance, here, there are some topics which are controversial (handling, hybrids, T's feeling pain, T's being able to learn--these are just some examples), and which we, as a community generally shy away from discussing. Making threads related to those topics, in an inflammatory manner, deliberately, in order to create controversy is trolling.
Now, someone not knowing that is controversial, or knowing it is controversial, but trying to be non-confrontational about it--not trolling. A big part of it is doing it on purpose, or seemingly on purpose. Frequent off-topic posting is also generally trolling.

It's just not a nice thing to do. Most forums have anti-troll terms in their TOS, although they generally don't call it "trolling," because trolling is usually a specific subset of more generally unwanted behaviors.

I'm not sure where the etymology comes from. There is a specific thread in Chat where the user was banned, with a note from a mod, I'd link to it, but I'm pretty sure that violates the TOS. I can e-mail it to you if you want, let me know.

Last edited:

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The Wiki article summarizes it quite succintly if my short post wasn't sufficient.

I've also heard it called "griefing" although I think that might be specific to gaming forums.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The Wiki article summarizes it quite succintly if my short post wasn't sufficient.

I've also heard it called "griefing" although I think that might be specific to gaming forums.
My only previous exposures to the term used as a verb were to describe a particular fishing technique, such as "trolling for bass," or to describe peculiar driving practices as in "trolling for cops" (i.e., driving in such a way - e.g., speeding - as to attract the attention of the police).

And, of course, a "troll" as a noun is a type of ogre living in a cave or under a bridge that terrorizes small children. Today we call them homeless persons!

And lastly, many of us know a fellow, Mike "troll" Dame (with a lower case "t"), who is quite active in the American Tarantula Society; and who, although he may be rather unconventional in some respects (aren't we all - who keep tarantulas as pets - in one respect or another?), has a heart of gold and the best of intentions. (Also, he's one of the photo contributors to TKG3. A tip of the hat to troll!) I count troll as one of my better friends.

Thanks! Now my day isn't a complete loss... I've learned something new!

Waxen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Griefing is not generally used in regards to forums. Griefing could be an online game equivalent of a forum troll. They do things within an online game that generally causes other people "grief". IE spawn camping, friendly firing, hacking, spamming public channels, etc. Trolls and griefers are generally not the greatest people to deal with in the world we call the internet.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My only previous exposures to the term used as a verb were to describe a particular fishing technique, such as "trolling for bass," or to describe peculiar driving practices as in "trolling for cops" (i.e., driving in such a way - e.g., speeding - as to attract the attention of the police).

And, of course, a "troll" as a noun is a type of ogre living in a cave or under a bridge that terrorizes small children. Today we call them homeless persons!

And lastly, many of us know a fellow, Mike "troll" Dame (with a lower case "t"), who is quite active in the American Tarantula Society; and who, although he may be rather unconventional in some respects (aren't we all - who keep tarantulas as pets - in one respect or another?), has a heart of gold and the best of intentions. (Also, he's one of the photo contributors to TKG3. A tip of the hat to troll!) I count troll as one of my better friends.

Thanks! Now my day isn't a complete loss... I've learned something new!
Glad to help Stan! I taught you something for once.{D
Griefing is not generally used in regards to forums. Griefing could be an online game equivalent of a forum troll. They do things within an online game that generally causes other people "grief". IE spawn camping, friendly firing, hacking, spamming public channels, etc. Trolls and griefers are generally not the greatest people to deal with in the world we call the internet.
So, basically, same behavior, different medium. That explains my confusion.