Why is getting just ONE Tarantula impossible?

draiko

Arachnosquire
For me it was the fact that too many feeders went to waste.......... Hahaha kidding. That was my excuse to convince the parents. Now I'm sitting with a B. Vagans, N. Chromatus, M. Balfouri and a G. Porteri.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It has to be the ease of care, collectablility, and endless need to see something happen ;) With my Pampho sp. Goliath, it just covered it's burrow for the past month +. I am so tempted to get more pamphos, just so I always have a few ready to eat and out in the open. It's the constant need to see something all the time and the collectability. I want to collect every species in the hobby, so that I can get experience and really educate others. Also, some look REALLY cool :D Thinking of getting more tommorow at my local expo. L. klugi is definitly on my to-get list in the future, and they are always out and eating. Not sure if that answered the question, but I just love T's through and through.

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
I compare it to an aquarium. You have many species in one tank because of the differences.

With T's it's many species all in one shelving unit :D

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
Maybe for me, it's because even though we know things about tarantulas, there's still a lot we don't know. I guess there's "mystery" to all the different genera/species, so many unanswered questions. They're all different. I love all the species of tarantulas, from plain boring colors to gorgeous metallic colors. They are cute, fuzzy, give adorable threat postures, hate the paint brush, move and tunnel through substrate, bury their water dishes, web all over the place, etc.

My sub-adult A. seemani has to be one of my favorites right now. She loves her transparent pink castle hide and manages to bury her water dish every single night. She has pushed up most of her substrate up against one side of her cage and slopes down steeply to one side. She hates the paint brush whenever I do maintenance work. She's a great eater as well. Hopefully "she" really turns out to be a she because I think she would make a great breeding female some day.

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
A couple of years ago I was oblivious to what would happen that August in 2015. My wife found me passed out on my chair. At first she was convinced I wasn't breathing so she called 911. An Ambulance came and the EMTs found a pulse and rushed me to the hospital. They weren't able to diagnose the problem but my wife was told I had labored breathing and recommended they perform a tracheotomy, in other words put a hole in my throat. They did and and kept me heavily sedated for a month after. I was hooked up to oxygen and feeding tube. Seven months and 2 more hospitals later, had been taking PT and eating for a month and walking with a walker, I finally got to go home. They had let me grow my trachea
back and all was well for now. After a month on my own I could walk without a walker and drive my car. I still had no diagnosis. 4 months later I was back in the hospital again, I had pneumonia and had relapsed. This time after waiting 2 weeks for test results I got a diagnosis, Myasthenia Gravis a neuro muscular disease. They made a try at extubating me but it didn't work out and the doctor told me the best thing was for me to get another Tracheotomy and feeding tube surgery and tough it out.
That's when I kind of freaked out and told my wife to put me on DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) status and just let me die.
I told her the values of all my collections and how to get the best price for them. But I changed my mind and followed the doctor's suggestions and in 3 months I was home. I got out in Sept 2016. I had my wife sell my Pokie & Irminia while I was in the hospital so yesterday I ordered 3 Ts (slings) from the classified and today got their deli cups ready. I am on medication for my Illness and heart and I fell pretty well right now. There's a lot more to the story but that's enough for now.
Thanks for reading, best Regards, Pennywise.

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Tarantulas have a mystic lure to me. I love snakes too, but I switched to Ts
because of space requirements. Ts are totally quiet, like almost the perfect pet. I appreciate their beauty too and the ones I am getting this time are less scary the than the others I kept for many years. I love starting with tiny slings and watching them grow. It's a fun hobby and along with raising butterflies it will keep us busy all summer which is already here (Florida) it will be 90 degrees farenheit Friday and 91 Saturday.

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
I find them to be fascinating animals. The ease of care, relative affordability, and small space requirements have fuelled my addiction. That and the holy poop factor of watching a huge spider take down prey.

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I find them to be fascinating animals. The ease of care, relative affordability, and small space requirements have fuelled my addiction. That and the holy poop factor of watching a huge spider take down prey.

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
The more you have, the more likely at least one or two will be out and about at any given time. And at some point my recent string of males will end and one of these slings will end up female. Looking at you my itabunae, P. smithi, and klugi. It's all on you!

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
As Mr Twister has indicated, watching the perfect predatory machine. :happy:

Last edited:

Lunitar

Arachnoslacker
It all started when my wife wanted a ball python. We went to a show and I saw the T's. That was 4 months ago and just spent yesterday putting up shelving and installing better lighting and adding a few IR cameras so I can observe my pet holes doing their thing. :angelic:

BwR11

Arachnopeon
I got into snakes first. I read up and bought a simple corn snake. Then that Christmas I got a 4'x2' viv from my mom so I bought a boa and put the corn up on Craigslist. Gave it away. I would buy another boa if I could!
I was at a pet store picking up frozen rats and there was a T on the counter. I thought, "Why would someone want to keep that as a pet?"
I regret that thought. It led me to YouTube vids. Lead me to say, I could look after one or two. Next month is the reptile show and I've already put in PTO for it and building a list of T's to watch out for. I've caught whatever you guys have.

SeniorSpidieLovr

Arachnopeon
Wow. 2016 thread (learning🤓)

I wonder how it is going. Sounded like a great team with wifie on board.

I just bought my 6th T since last 6 months.
Anywoo I think it's still good reading. I mean Googled my question, brought me to this thread. 👍❤🕷