Hallo :)

Hey Potato nice graphic design you got there man, pretty cool:clap:

My best regards,
Ulrich

Potato

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yep, you got it. There just might be hope for you yet
Now, will the substrate be wetter on the bottom part and drier towards the top? If so, will there be any problems with the bottom part of the substrate?

Potato

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Also, do you guys know why my scorpions started to rarely, if ever, leave their hiding place? I recently bought a small housing addition that is basically a stone enclosure with a small enterance. Both scorpions are in that enclosure almost the entire time, although I know that at least one is alive since he pulled a stick inside the enclosure when I was checking it. I don't know about the other one since I can't tell them apart. The enclosure is under direct infrared light and is probably the warmest part of the aquarium, if that matters. Does anyone know if this means they are unhealthy or something?

Also, just for future reference, does anyone know if Scorpions have a "death curl" equivalent of tarantulas/spiders? Or do they just look like they are sleeping (claws covering eyes) when they die? Sometimes I don't know if they are sleeping or dead. :(

Also, where can I buy a black light? Pet Goods doesn't sell them, although they do have them in their cages. Do you know if the black light can detect other arthropods, like crickets?

Last edited:

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Also, do you guys know why my scorpions started to rarely, if ever, leave their hiding place? I recently bought a small housing addition that is basically a stone enclosure with a small enterance. Both scorpions are in that enclosure almost the entire time, although I know that at least one is alive since he pulled a stick inside the enclosure when I was checking it. I don't know about the other one since I can't tell them apart. The enclosure is under direct infrared light and is probably the warmest part of the aquarium, if that matters. Does anyone know if this means they are unhealthy or something?

Also, just for future reference, does anyone know if Scorpions have a "death curl" equivalent of tarantulas/spiders? Or do they just look like they are sleeping (claws covering eyes) when they die? Sometimes I don't know if they are sleeping or dead. :(

Also, where can I buy a black light? Pet Goods doesn't sell them, although they do have them in their cages. Do you know if the black light can detect other arthropods, like crickets?
if left alone, an emperor will almost never leave its hide. Scorpions curl their legs and claws then stretch out their tails during death, you can buy blacklights at any store that sells lighting, although having one on the tank 24/7 is severly detrimental to the scorps. scorpions are the only glowing arthropod.

Potato

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
if left alone, an emperor will almost never leave its hide. Scorpions curl their legs and claws then stretch out their tails during death, you can buy blacklights at any store that sells lighting, although having one on the tank 24/7 is severly detrimental to the scorps. scorpions are the only glowing arthropod.
Do the scorpions lie on their back when they do that curl? Also, at the pet store, they have the black light on all the time. Why is it bad for them? Does it irritate them or does it radiate them or something? Does this mean I have deffective pet store scorps? Also, I have a infrared light on most of the day, is that bad for them like the black light or is it okay for them?

Kazz

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Now, will the substrate be wetter on the bottom part and drier towards the top? If so, will there be any problems with the bottom part of the substrate?
It will be wetter at the bottom, especially if you have a heat lamp drying out the surface. As long as you cover the top of the pipe and don't let anything fall down and rot underground, I don't think you should have problems with the lower part of the substrate.

Nice animation by the way. The only things I can think of to clarify are:

1. You don't need a very thick pipe, just thick enough that you can pour water down it, but it can be thicker if you want.

2. You should put a cap on the pipe or make a screen lid or somethin' so nothing can accidentally fall down into it.

3. The pipe doesn't have to go all the way to the top of the tank, it just has to come up above the substrate so that you can get to it to add water. How high you want it to be is up to you.

4. If you want to you can cut a little notch in the bottom of the pipe to help let the water out faster, but you don't have to. If you do it, it doesn't matter too much what size or shape it is, just that it will let the water out faster. If you don't then the only problem you might have is that it could take longer to fill. If you don't care, don't worry about it.

5. It's optional, but you can put a screen (preferably plastic mesh) in between the gravel and the rest of the substrate. If you don't want to, that's fine, just try to keep the substrate from going down into the gravel too much when you're putting it together so that there's more room for water down there. If it does fall down though, it's not a disaster so don't worry too much.

Also, do you guys know why my scorpions started to rarely, if ever, leave their hiding place? The enclosure is under direct infrared light and is probably the warmest part of the aquarium, if that matters. Does anyone know if this means they are unhealthy or something?
Generally if your scorpions stay in their hides then it means they're happy! I know it's more fun to see them out and wandering around, but if they're out moving around all the time it probably means they're looking for different conditions that they can't find in the tank, like a place to hide or more or less heat or humidity for example.

They usually like to be warm, so there's nothing strange about them being in the warmest part of the aquarium. Just make sure there's a hide in the cooler part too, in case they want to go hang out over there.

Sometimes I don't know if they are sleeping or dead. :(
I've wondered that about mine a couple of times...one of my H. arizonensis was down in her burrow, right in the corner of the tank and she had her face pressed right up against the glass with her pedipalps out to the sides behind her, and she was just sitting there like that for a long time. Eventually we did something that disturbed her a little, and then we knew she was alright, but sometimes it looks like they might be dead when they're fine.

I haven't seen any of the bigger species dead, so I can't say what it really looks like, but I'm guessing it wouldn't be too hard to tell if it really happened.

You have to stop worrying so much though! Scorpions can live a fairly long time, and if you're taking good care of them then you should be enjoying having them, not just worrying that they're dead or dying all the time. They're not as fragile as you seem to think they are.

If you want a light for finding scorpions outside or just checking on the ones you have then do a search on the forums for it. You want an LED UV flashlight. If you want something for inside then another pet store or hardware store might sell them, but be careful with it because too much exposure to those lights is not good for scorpions. Quickly checking on them should be fine, but putting a black light on them all night isn't a good idea.

I haven't seen any other animals that glow like scorpions in UV light, and I know that crickets don't.

Darkside

Arachnopeon
So you can make a Flash movie but you couldn't understand what you were being told :?

Last edited:

Potato

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So you can make a Flash movie but you couldn't understand what you were being told :?
Not initially, no. The pictures helped. The animation is 3ds Max 8 imported into Flash 8 to add the text.

Potato

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Does anyone know why one of my scorps is acting a bit strange? It is VERY hungry all of the time. I just woke the scorps to feed them, since they have trouble catching prey in a large aquarium. One of the scorps barely wanted to eat, but eventually grabbed the cricket after calming down. The other scorp grabbed one crik right away, and as I fed the second scorp, it grabbed the second crik into the pincer (so, one crik in pincer other in mouth). This is after two days earlier eating a large, black, hairy (totally covered with black hairs) catterpillar, superworm and cricket. This scorp also seems somewhat large in the underbelly and unusually aggressive, holding back the other scorp when it is near with its tail. Why the difference in behavior?

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well for one when keeping any exotic animals you notice that they all have their own personality. You'll never have two scorpion exactly the same. For instance i have only had one emp that tunneled none of the othe emps i have have ever done that. Also you might have a gravid(pregnant) female, or just might have a fatty scorpion. I have a very large male that eats with two-three crix in his mouth, plus another two in each chela.
Also i might ask this question in a different new thread, since its of topic and most people wont read this one anymore.

Potato

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well for one when keeping any exotic animals you notice that they all have their own personality. You'll never have two scorpion exactly the same. For instance i have only had one emp that tunneled none of the othe emps i have have ever done that. Also you might have a gravid(pregnant) female, or just might have a fatty scorpion. I have a very large male that eats with two-three crix in his mouth, plus another two in each chela.
Also i might ask this question in a different new thread, since its of topic and most people wont read this one anymore.
They told me to ask all my questions here.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I know they said it better to ask a hundred question on one thread than one in a hundred. That because you posted more than one thread on the same question. If its off subject just add a new thread. You'll get more answers that way.