Why do people give up keeping Tarantulas?

Urzeitmensch

Arachnosquire
Hi all,

I have read in several topics that people used to have Tarantulas in the past but than gave away or sold their whole collection, only to return to the hobby later (probably only those who returned are active on this forum anyway).

I thought a long time before buying my first T. and their longlivity was actually one of the main points why I hesitated. Who knows what will happen over 20 - 30 years? On the other hand a small collection does not take up much space, is cheap to maintain and can generally be moved without problems.

So, I am curious egarding your experiences or ideas: Why would one give up their T.s.?

Edit: Don't feel compelled to share any personal circumstances that you are uncomfortable with telling.

BennyBTamachi

Arachnosquire
Currently living abroad and not planning on staying in my current country for more than 3/5 years. So I'll have to sell or give my T when I'll be leaving the country.

thebronzedragon

Arachnosquire
I'm 2 years away from graduating high school and i'm planning to move to Australia for university so when that happens I will have to give up my small collection.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
They have kids and the wife isn't supportive of having Ts in the house any more.

I pity those poor dudes.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
They got bored, needed some cash, had kids, wife doesn't like them, moving, etc. There's a million reasons.

brian petersen

Arachnopeon
I can say from my own experience that sometimes life gets in the way. of course I only had a couple when I gave it up and found a good home for them. but it seems the venom never leaves your blood system.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
When I was in the process of moving and building a new house, I had to get rid of my collection. Then when we finished the house it was back to the hobby.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
There can be lots of reasons. Sometimes, people just lose interest in certain hobbies after a while. And when they lose interest, it’s much better to find good homes for their animals before neglect sets in.

Urzeitmensch

Arachnosquire
Thats interesting. Many of the changes you mentioned are planned in advance or at least likely to happen, like going to college, moving for work, having kids.

Did you decide in advance that you would only have the Ts for a limited amount if time or did you only later realize that they are incompatible with the changes?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
The friend who got me into the hobby was in the hobby for about 20 years and he taught me almost everything I need to know when I was a 13-14 year-old kid (Basically mentor and student). While some things he taught me was outdated, at least he taught me a lot of good things as well. When he left the hobby, he gave almost all his T.'s away to his friends who were somewhere else within state. I didn't get any T.'s because my parents didn't allow pets then. When he left the hobby he said "something" like this, "Just taking a new breath in life....." I don't remember what else he said after that, but it was kinda sad. So basically in a sense I'm picking up what he left off. In the end of the day, leaving this hobby is a personal thing so you never know why they leave.

BennyBTamachi

Arachnosquire
Did you decide in advance that you would only have the Ts for a limited amount if time or did you only later realize that they are incompatible with the changes?
Yes I decided in advance that I would have only few Ts (only 1 so far, and maybe 2 or 3 if possible), that I will give back to the breeder I bought them when I'll have to leave the country in 3/5 years.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Some people are hardcore collectors, a majority of this hobby has a big turn over of people every 2-3 years.

Later, Tom

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
For me right now the only things I can think of that would make me give mine up would a severe illness or financial ruin - I would have to be on verge of homelessness, T's aren't exactly costly to maintain when you have a roach colony. Maybe in the future I might downsize, but I can't see me getting rid of all of them.

Urzeitmensch

Arachnosquire
All common sense ones too. It's not exactly rocket science
Sure. It's however still very interesting. Considering Ts there is obviously a vast difference in how people view then, especially considering attachment.

Some obviously consider them "real" pets, more akin to a dog. Most dog owners, including myself, would go a long way to keep the dog if circumstances change and would certainly not give it away out of boredom. However, there is obvioulsy the emotional attachment of the dog to its owner to consider which Ts lack.

On the other hand, many owners seem to see them more as collectibles like post stamps. Then it is obviously easier to trade them, give them away, immediately sell a double etc. I can imagine that you would then give the Ts up out of boredom or because the new girlfriends does not like them. Imagibe a new girlfriend telling a dog owner to get rid of the dog because she thinks its gross. Back to dating I guess :D

It is a phenomen that alao shows in topics like "naming yout tarantula" or the resent "would you sell your first T".

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
For me, life happened: married, kid, work = no time for ~150 tarantulas plus other inverts.

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
Some dummies let a potential “significant other” dictate there hobbies because they don’t think they can find someone that will love them even if they don’t like some hobbies they have.

I had someone try to tell me I couldn’t have spiders, even tried to get my harley away from me that I bought when I was 17.
65 spiders later I’m happy and single!
All that to say that a partner can be the reason you’d not keep a collection. Mini rant, sorry friends

Wyoguy069

Arachnopeon
I agree I would never let anyone tell me to get rid of my T’s. Fortunately everyone in my house is comfortable with them. If someday I leave the country, get sick, etc. then I hope my son will care for them, but I’d make sure they had good homes. Some of them even cost more than dogs and I care for them everyday and sometimes a few times a day. I know everyone thinks they are not capable of bonding or emotions, but a side of me would like to believe otherwise.