Why are T. Blondi's so expensive?

Fullstop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I understand "They're a staple of anyone's collection" but they're still pretty damn expensive....

don't even get me started on a p. metallica... ;P

Flogger

Arachnopeon
T.blondi aren't that expensive. Spiderlings are quite cheap, adult females are expensive but that's with most species and not only T.blondi.
P.metallica is insanely expensive, mainly because people want them and they are quite rare (compared to T.blondi för example).

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I think you will find captive bred adults of many species are expensive,
particularly when they are guaranteed to be female. Wild caught adults are
considerably cheaper but they carry with them the possibility of parasites,
fungus, nematodes so there is a trade off for the cheaper price.
Captive bred spiderlings are probably your best alternative to higher priced
adults, T.Blondi grows relatively fast so that within a year or less you should
have a decent sized spider.

Last edited:

Tarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Flogger T. blondi isnt very expensive as adults, sub-adults 60€...

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Yeah, I know for the most part.
I though quite a few Aphonopelma's cost more there?

BLS Blondi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Cost

As far as T. blondi prices, they are pretty fair. Being an experienced breeder of T. blondi, it is difficult to get a good eggsac out of them. I have witnessed mothers eating their own eggsacs MANY times. You have no idea how many tries it takes to get a good hatchout. I have 9 females that are currently ready to breed. I will be lucky this year to get one eggsac to have a hatchout. The other two factors that are included in their price is supply & demand, as well, as they eat so much (even as hatchlings) that they will be more expensive. Considering all this, it is fair to pay $50-$75 for a T that will eventually become big enough to cover your whole face!:}

Flogger

Arachnopeon
MetalDragon_boy said:
Flogger T. blondi isnt very expensive as adults, sub-adults 60€...
Well looking here in Sweden it's not very rare to see adult females for 1000kr (around $130-140). Though as you mentioned there are of course cheaper ones.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
BLS Blondi said:
As far as T. blondi prices, they are pretty fair. Being an experienced breeder of T. blondi, it is difficult to get a good eggsac out of them. I have witnessed mothers eating their own eggsacs MANY times. You have no idea how many tries it takes to get a good hatchout.
This is what I was going to say, too.

T. blondi is a very difficult species to breed successfully (meaning having viable spiderlings) and eggsacs generally aren't too large (in comparison to other species that have hundreds and hundreds per sac).

T. blondi, still holding the Guiness Book title as largest spider, is also something of a novelty to many, which drives the demand up. "Everyone" wants to own a specimen of "the largest spider in the world." ;)

Fierce Deity

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am not going to bother going on a rant about P. metallica prices, and why they cost so much, because it is early and I just woke up. Instead I will refer you to THIS THREAD. I will also recommend reading from post #29 as this is where some actual good posts start happening, and some information as a result.
As for T. blondi, enough has been said.
I will add this though:
NEVER by a wild caught specimen. Unfortunately, they are gassed out of their burrows, and tend not to live very long after. I find the die in under a year, where the captive bred speciemens live over 20.

Tarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Flogger said:
Well looking here in Sweden it's not very rare to see adult females for 1000kr (around $130-140). Though as you mentioned there are of course cheaper ones.
If you see females for sale at all. I dont like the prices in the Swedish hobby. To much people that think thake can charge how much they want for a spider. And there is alot of people that dont know that you can get spiders pretty cheap if you know where to look.

I rather buy from Europe than Sweden...

common spider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would say that the prices that I have seen over the years up to now is quite fair.although there are people out there that try to rip people off but prices to me see just right.I always go with the people that know best and with that said you will get the best price and a good animal.

Fullstop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Becca and Fierce Diety, Thank you for answering my questions. I meant captive bred anyway. I will NEVER EVER buy wild caught.

Bearo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
another sweed ;)

Flogger, you cant compare the american market to the european at all.. whats common and cheap here is uncommon and expensive there.. and whats cheap there... yeah thats still expensive ;)

Becca81 have already told us the awnser to this thread:
"Everyone" wants to own a specimen of "the largest spider in the world."
Here in europe slings/juveniles are expensive, but subadults/adults arnt that expensive..
And P. metallica has come down alot now, i bought mine from Sören last week or so for 750:- danish (~950:- swedish / ~126$) ;)

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Bearo said:
Becca81 have already told us the awnser to this thread:
becca81 said:
"Everyone" wants to own a specimen of "the largest spider in the world."

I don't believe that's the answer at all. If that was the only factor, then they'd be bred just as often as other T's, and everyone would have one.
But Becca did make that point in her post, don't want to cut it up...

I think its the difficulty in breeding them, and their availability. (In the states that is).

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Fierce Deity said:
NEVER by a wild caught specimen. Unfortunately, they are gassed out of their burrows, and tend not to live very long after. I find the die in under a year, where the captive bred speciemens live over 20.
I bought both of my blondi WC. My female I got about 3 years ago and my male 2 years ago. Neither of them died within a year. My male just died last month after being well over a year post ultimate molt and my female is quite healthy and showing no signs of fixing to kick the bucket from being "gassed".

Tarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Bearo said:
Here in europe slings/juveniles are expensive, but subadults/adults arnt that expensive..
8-10€ for a sling isnt expenisve IMO.

Skuromis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi!
MetalDragon_boy said:
8-10€ for a sling isnt expenisve IMO.
I fully agree! In fact they are sometimes even cheaper, but 8 Euro is ok for me.

BR, Marc.