Whops, I was stupid...

Felidae

Arachnosquire
My big C. (L.) violaceopes female's last molt was 20th January. I didn't expected a molt now. I have a mature male which I left with her few days ago. Today I saw something strange with her. After I take out the male I saw she molted, leaking in one leg and acting more sluggish than her usual post molt behavior. I put cornstarch in the point and there I realized the substrate is too damp. The last time my water bottle just "Khm.." so I filled too much.. I took out half of the substrate and changed to dry.
Not my first molt complication, but I can tell it's really rare, and I think long time it's the first cause of my mistake.
Just I need to speak with someone about. I don't used to have worried..

Damage in leg LII

Powdered:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Ts are fine without 1 leg. i wouldnt worry. if it really complicates her, she will take it off herself.

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
If its hindering her she'll just self amputate it. And should that happen it would be a pretty minor injury as they have a sphincter at the base of where the leg meets the carapace, It seals shut to prevent further fluid loss, just keep a water dish available should it decide to replenish any lost fluids. If she does decide to remove it the leg will grow back looking indistinguishable to its original upon further molts.

Felidae

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the kind words :) Yes, I've got many times 7 legged (now I have even a five legged) T. I know it's okay for them. Just.. You know.. I was stupid to left that male there and I must tell somewhere. I'm more worried about the too sluggish behavior. She'll probably fine.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Thanks for the kind words :) Yes, I've got many times 7 legged (now I have even a five legged) T. I know it's okay for them. Just.. You know.. I was stupid to left that male there and I must tell somewhere. I'm more worried about the too sluggish behavior. She'll probably fine.
sluggish, huh. whats the temp like. gorgeous T btw. :)

Felidae

Arachnosquire
Exactly 25,5C (78F). I have space heater in thermostat in the room.

I must tell, I know it's not a problem a broken leg, or a little leaking. I know too that I cannot do nothing, and she'll recover if it's not a serious internal damage. Just really I need to speak about.

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
LV's need moister substrate than any other arboreal I've had (which is 34 species). They're also prone to molt problems, often fatal. Keep an eye on her, and make sure the water bowl's always full.

Felidae

Arachnosquire
LV's need moister substrate than any other arboreal I've had (which is 34 species). They're also prone to molt problems, often fatal. Keep an eye on her, and make sure the water bowl's always full.
Thank you Poec, I'll do my best. I've raised some violaceopes from slings to adults, but I never saw that behavior before. Maybe it's a stupid question, but you never got problems with too moist substrate?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Thank you Poec, I'll do my best. I've raised some violaceopes from slings to adults, but I never saw that behavior before. Maybe it's a stupid question, but you never got problems with too moist substrate?

You can overdo moist substrate, condensation is a bad sign. But LV's seem to have little drought tolerance. I've had more LV's with molting problems than any other species of tarantula.

Felidae

Arachnosquire
You can overdo moist substrate, condensation is a bad sign. But LV's seem to have little drought tolerance. I've had more LV's with molting problems than any other species of tarantula.
No condensation thanks for the good ventilation, but there I did a bit too much watering this time. I'll check her regularly and hope she'll be okay.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Exactly 25,5C (78F). I have space heater in thermostat in the room.

I must tell, I know it's not a problem a broken leg, or a little leaking. I know too that I cannot do nothing, and she'll recover if it's not a serious internal damage. Just really I need to speak about.
sounds fine to me. perfect really.

i keep my LV in a moist well ventilated cage, its a little more maintenance for me, but any over watering is negated quickly.

Felidae

Arachnosquire
Just a little update. I detached that leg, cause even is she moved barley, every time started to leaking from the wound. I think the problem is the damage wasn't in the joint. Now she's in her burrow, but I can see her. Just need to wait and I cross my fingers, but I don't think there is so much hope.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Just a little update. I detached that leg, cause even is she moved barley, every time started to leaking from the wound. I think the problem is the damage wasn't in the joint. Now she's in her burrow, but I can see her. Just need to wait and I cross my fingers, but I don't think there is so much hope.
Yeah, all you can do is wait. I've not had a lot of experience with missing T legs but from everything I have seen on here they handle it well. Give her some time and hope for the best. Good luck.

Felidae

Arachnosquire
sad to hear.. the male couldnt have bitten her, right??
I think exactly that happened. It's a telltale how she acting more and more sluggish.

Yeah, all you can do is wait. I've not had a lot of experience with missing T legs but from everything I have seen on here they handle it well. Give her some time and hope for the best. Good luck.
Thanks Trenor for the kind words, but now she's dying. It's highly possible, how Venom said, that wounds are from the males bite. I must deal with that, but it's my fault.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
When I pair up any OW arboreals, I leave the male in for one night only: In after dark, out in the morning. If they're at all inclined to mate they will, in a confined space in the dark for 12 hours. I see no reason to leave males in longer than that, or for repeated pairings. That's how males get killed, which is what's often happened to people I send my males to on breedings loans. If the male is killed and the female sheds (sometimes unexpectedly) you don't have anything to breed with her. There's the poor advice of: 'It's a good sign if the male gets eaten.' Not if he didn't get an insertion first. Then it's a total waste.

There's also occasional cases of males injuring/killing females. Although it's a common practice, I am totally against leaving males in for days or weeks. Little if anything to gain, lots to lose.

Felidae

Arachnosquire
When I pair up any OW arboreals, I leave the male in for one night only: In after dark, out in the morning. If they're at all inclined to mate they will, in a confined space in the dark for 12 hours. I see no reason to leave males in longer than that, or for repeated pairings. That's how males get killed, which is what's often happened to people I send my males to on breedings loans. If the male is killed and the female sheds (sometimes unexpectedly) you don't have anything to breed with her. There's the poor advice of: 'It's a good sign if the male gets eaten.' Not if he didn't get an insertion first. Then it's a total waste.

There's also occasional cases of males injuring/killing females. Although it's a common practice, I am totally against leaving males in for days or weeks. Little if anything to gain, lots to lose.
Completely agree! I didn't even know why I left that male for days with the female. Now I pay the price, and others can learn from that also.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Completely agree! I didn't even know why I left that male for days with the female. Now I pay the price, and others can learn from that also.

There was a member in Europe a year ago that paired up regalis for a couple weeks, and the male killed the female. Not the norm, but it does happen.

Felidae

Arachnosquire
C'est la vie.. Normally I don't let them cohabiting, and here is the good example why. She was a nice big female.