Who Grows Faster

J_D_D

Arachnopeon
G. pulchra or G. pulchripes? I am curious about who grows faster. Not grows larger, but grows at a faster rate. I know they are both Grammostola(which are slow growers) but does one tend to be a little faster.

Thanks in advanve for sharing your experience and knowledge.
J_D_D

Last edited:

x Mr Awesome x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Neither will grow slow under the right conditions and feeding regularity. I fed my female pulchra three slings each yesterday and two today. They are growing very very fast.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Neither will grow slow under the right conditions and feeding regularity. I fed my female pulchra three slings each yesterday and two today. They are growing very very fast.
Please tell me I read this wrong. Maybe it's to late for me to be up, but I totally read that as you gave slings to your pulchra to eat {D {D

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I too was hoping i didn't read that you fed slings to your pulchra. Just watch them as you feed them and they should grow.

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
NOM NOM NOM says the pulchra monster, eating the pulchripes babies! ;P;P

well thats one way to put your parahybana babies to good use. :embarrassed:

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes , please correct me friend , but you are feeding your gal slings ?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Since the apparent typo has already been addressed, I'll skip to the point (;)):

If you took a G. pulchra and P. murinus of the same gender, kept them in their respective 'optimal' conditions, and fed them both the same diet at the same times, the P. murinus would grow faster.

The same could be said with G. pulchra and G. pulchripes. If you kept them both in their respective 'optimal' conditions and fed them both the same, the pulchripes would grow faster.

Unless you (or anyone else) has proof that claims otherwise, this is my opinion on the matter.

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
G. pulchripes grows faster in my experience.
Yup . I have never heard of a pulchra growing faster than a pulchripes lol . Pulchra would have to be one of the slowest growers in the Grammostola genus , besides the rosea .

Crows Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

To be frank, they grow at roughly the same rate. If the G. pulchripes is truly faster, it wouldn't be by much. I have G. Pulchripes slings from September 2009 that were fed well and they are now 1.25", I had G. pulchra start at 1.25" from the Germany imports and they are now 3.75"+ after about 8 months. Like Joe implied, there are definite lines when it comes to completely different spiders (OBT as opposed to Chaco) but between these two, no major distinction. Note that I do not dismiss that the pulchripes may be faster, but I personally haven't seen a noticeable difference between the two. Smallara, I'm sure you haven't heard of a G. pulchra growing faster than a G. pulchripes because I don't think this very individual converstation occurs on a regular basis, :)

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yup . I have never heard of a pulchra growing faster than a pulchripes lol . Pulchra would have to be one of the slowest growers in the Grammostola genus , besides the rosea .
Oh no, not again:rolleyes:.... Ok just gonna post this.

G. pulchra 1" - 4.5" 9 months
G. rosea 1" - 3" 6 months In premolt now and approaching month #9 So it may be 3.5" or so soon.

I have never had G pulchripes so I have no documentation on this. Just wanted to show the speed of these two specimens under the absolute best conditions possible.

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I purchased a 1" sling G. pulchripes in 08 , and now it is 4.5" next molt will be 5" or more :) Ok NOW I have heard of a faster growing pulchra than pulchripes lol . Maybe it had to do something with feeding ? Personally , I feed my ts 3" and up 4 adult large crickets every 2 weeks . I like to keep things natural , because in the wild , ts barely get 1 food item a week .

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok NOW I have heard of a faster growing pulchra than pulchripes lol . Maybe it had to do something with feeding ?
that would probably be the case. but i'm just curious... you came to this conclusion by comparing what talon posted and your own experiences? no offense, comparing both of your slings (and onward to adults) isn't the best way to come to this conclusion because as joe said, they should be of relative age, gender, and being housed in both their own optimal conditions. by comparing yours and talons there could have been a variable.

no disrespect to either of you, but smallara98 i'm just wondering why you are so quick to jump to conclusions (feel free to correct me if i misinterpreted also...)?

i still say what joe (and others) said stands:

The same could be said with G. pulchra and G. pulchripes. If you kept them both in their respective 'optimal' conditions and fed them both the same, the pulchripes would grow faster.