Who bought a T on Black Friday because of a sale?

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey all! Just figured with everyone out shopping both in the stores and online that their may have been sales that people got in on. So what'd ya get? I was out shopping on Friday (of course) with my wife and ended up stopping at a local PetCo for crickets only to find that they had all of the reptiles, snakes and tarantulas marked 50% off for the day. I broused around the enclosures and spotted a 3" juvenile A.Avic so I ended up taking it home for $19.99 (so yea... regular price was $39.99:o_O:) . I couldn't resist, and best part is that it looks to be female!

So anyone else get in on any deals?

ragnarokxg

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey all! Just figured with everyone out shopping both in the stores and online that their may have been sales that people got in on. So what'd ya get? I was out shopping on Friday (of course) with my wife and ended up stopping at a local PetCo for crickets only to find that they had all of the reptiles, snakes and tarantulas marked 50% off for the day. I broused around the enclosures and spotted a 3" juvenile A.Avic so I ended up taking it home for $19.99 (so yea... regular price was $39.99:o_O:) . I couldn't resist, and best part is that it looks to be female!

So anyone else get in on any deals?
Got two GBB slings for 45 dollars plus an L. paryhabana freebie.

acrooks

Arachnopeon
Purchased a 4-5" female Grammostola rosea RCF and unsexed 1.5" Brachypelma boehmei. I'm anxiously waiting for the tracking number!

cmack91

Arachnopeon
My friend bought three, an A. geniculata, a B. smithi, and a P. murinus, so I added a B. vagans to his order for ten bucks. After him i'm maxed out on T's for the moment otherwise I would've gotten more. And I'm also anxiously waiting for the tracking number.

Theist 17

Arachnosquire
I've got an OBT and an enclosure on the way from Jamie's right now.Ten bucks for the spider, ten more for the enclosure. Can't beat that with a stick.

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Good to see some other people scored some Ts! I'm a bit shocked that the sales here on the boards weren't a "must buy". I had $100.00 that I was waiting to drop on the boards if there were some knock out deals but overal I wasn't impressed. Some sales were "spend X amount of cash and get a deal" and others were only a few bucks off. Oh we'll, maybe next year.
:o_O:

jen650s

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I bought a second B. boehmei and another Hapolopus sp. pumpkin patch at Ken's where I just "stopped in to take a look around" since I was in Tucson for Thanksgiving.

---------- Post added 11-26-2012 at 10:43 PM ----------

Good to see some other people scored some Ts! I'm a bit shocked that the sales here on the boards weren't a "must buy". I had $100.00 that I was waiting to drop on the boards if there were some knock out deals but overal I wasn't impressed. Some sales were "spend X amount of cash and get a deal" and others were only a few bucks off. Oh we'll, maybe next year.
I think you are being unrealistic there. Many of the folks here are not making much (any) $ after covering their expenses, are largely selling CB slings that they have a lot of time and energy invested in raising them and if they actually paid themselves based on a reasonable hourly wage say $12 per hour (not reasonable to some, riches to others) are losing money with each sale. They are doing it as a labor of love, trying to cover their expenses, and you get to participate in the fruits of their passion for a reasonable fee. There are some people making a living raising Ts, but they put in a lot of time and sweat equity to get where they could and they are in the minority and many of the ones who were here even just two or three years ago are gone because it wasn't sustainable over a long time. Especially with the current economy and any pet being a luxury for many people.

In contrast, your local PetCo is selling a WC tarantula of uncertain orgin, possibly parasite ridden, almost certainly poorly cared for (at least prior to PetCo getting it and debatable thereafter depending on the PetCo) that they bought for less than $5--most likely much less.

While I appreciate your desire to get a "must buy" deal, I'd rather they got a livable amount of money to continue doing what they are doing and expand the hobby, bring the Ts I'd like to see to market, and grow the quality of the available stock while reducing the number of cheap WC Ts in the trade. I don't want to breed, I don't have the time or energy to breed and when I couldn't afford to have the number and variety of Ts that I currently do, I kept and enjoyed what I could afford without begrudging someone else their livelyhood or a fair exchange on their labor and time.

Last edited:

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
On one hand i see what you mean, but then again, the adds HERE in the classifieds are already dirt cheap prices. Try getting the same t almost ANYWHERE online, and see how much it is marked up.
Even shaving a few bucks off a normal price on these forums is a blessing. ALSO, im willing to bet that 98% of the ts you buy here on the forums are well cared for and properly ID

Mix ups in shipping DO HAPPEN, but another thing to be thankful for is while buying from a small hobbiest, the seller is able to easily able to get the right order out. While dealing with a bigger online vendor, mixups are (id imagine) easier to happen due to the volume of orders theyre getting PLUS the vast selection.

Jquack530

Arachnosquire
My girlfriend insisted on getting an OBT, I was thinking I would transition to OW's with some Psalmos first, but Black Friday induces madness :sarcasm: So I said what the heck, so besides the OBT, we have a Ceratogyrus darlingi, a Poecilotheria regalis, and an LP on the way. A little nervous about the OW's, but they're tiny, and I'll be careful as well as respectful. All should be good. Of course I'm excited as well. These new tarantulas will bring us up to 15 :biggrin:

---------- Post added 11-27-2012 at 12:33 AM ----------

That is just not true. I saw a member selling M. balfouri's for $60! I was so disappointed that I didn't have more money to spare, because I definitely would have picked up a couple of those at that very generous price.

Last edited:

Toogledoo

Arachnoknight
Amen Jen650s!!!! I try very hard to make all my Ts affordable even though the profit on them is my only income currently. Almost everything I sell, I bought, so I'm really not making much, yet I still shave a few bucks off here and there for sales and what not. Some people already have ridiculously cheap prices (compared to all the big boys and websites), they just can't afford to give it away for nothing. Also, you can't expect to get wholesale prices on one or two spiders when people generally have to buy 20-100 spiders at once to get a wholesale price.

Some people who had a Black Friday sale don't have a site and just started out, so they had the sale pretty much for -your- benefit.

Also, as others have said, $19.99 for a WC juvi Avic isn't really a great price for one. $39.99 is a ridiculous amount for one.

Armpit

Arachnosquire
so what you're saying is, i missed out on a lot of good stuff.

poop.

FANGSTER303

Arachnopeon
I picked up a Pelinobius muticus - King Baboon .5 inch a Hapalopus sp. Columbia (Pumpkin Patch) .25 inch AND a Mastigoproctus giganteus - Giant Vinegaroon.. all for a great price! They are arriving TODAY! I Can't wait... :biggrin:

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Also, as others have said, $19.99 for a WC juvi Avic isn't really a great price for one. $39.99 is a ridiculous amount for one.
I totally agree with ya on that. I just couldn't pass up the lil girl!

LadySharon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I took advantage of a certian black friday "%" off entire purchase sale -- and though he had sold out of one of the T's I wanted - I still got a nice selection. (IMHO) they were all replacements/extras. (Ie replacing a t that died or matured - or I only have one of that T so wanted a "backup")

The package ships tonight and I pick it up tomorrow (I can't receive so I always have the sender do a hold for pick up at a nearby fedex office ) I'm nervious because though our highs are good, our lowes are in the 20s.

Anyway I got: 1 A. metallica 0.75"; 2 A. purpurea 0.5"; 2 B. sabulosum 0.25" (extra becaues I'm not sure that the other one I have is REALLY a sabulosum); 1 .75 GBB (hate trying to type out that latin name) and a grab bag of new worlds - so we will see what I get there.

I was making jokes to my parents about the only real black friday shopping I was doing was online... XD .... they didn't relize it was for Ts. (I did go into a store later but that was after all the doorbusters were over with.)

Petsmart and Petco 0- as far as I've seen - don't sell T's around here. Though I do get a T sometimes from the local exotic store.

- Sharon

Zeph

Arachnosquire
I was so broke that I could only afford two from Jamie. I got an A. metallica, I've felt that my Avic collection was complete with a versicolor, purpurea, and azuraklaasi, but I've considered a metallica for a while even though it's not on my list. I also got an LP to replace the freebie I once had DOA, but mostly I picked these because I had just enough for $15 worth of T's.

If I'd had more money, I would have gone crazy on Ken's sale! He had so many T's on my wish list!

pokemepokey

Arachnopeon
I bought the very large P. Striata for sale on Jamie's site Thursday night. She arrived yesterday and she is something to behold. What a magnificent specimen, and she was surprisingly docile and easy to rehouse considering the day she had. I'll post pictures soon

Crickeylynn

Arachnopeon
I was too broke to buy, but I had fun looking. After the new year I AM buying my B albiceps. That is a fact!

Bugmom

Arachnolord
I ended up buying four Avics from a member here because I didn't find any good Black Friday deals for Avics from the "I have an actual store" dealers. I had every intention of buying T's on Black Friday, in fact that was the ONLY thing I planned to buy.

Now the adorable little fuzzballs just need to get here. I've wanted Avics for soooo long and now I'll have four! So excited!