Who am I? (ID needed. Haplopelma?)

Bird Man

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I purchased this T as H. vonworthi, she was dark and needed a molt, but also could have been gravid. So I didn't mess with her much and hoped for a sac. Well the other day she decided that she was going to molt. After the molt, it became very clear that she is NOT H. vonworthi and I've tried looking at the Haplopelma pics here, but I'm not having much luck so I'm asking here.

Sorry these aren't the best as they were taken only a few hours post molt and she hadn't stretched out. I'll get more in a day or two.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
Why do you think it's clear that it's not Haplopelma vonwirthi?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Also, with all due respect, all of those pictures are of the spider in the same position, taken from the same angle. We'll need more than just a top-down shot. :}

Bird Man

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Why do you think it's clear that it's not Haplopelma vonwirthi?
Well... look at these pics and tell me....

MM H. vonwirthi

MF H. vonwirthi (sorry these are as good as it gets with her, always in the hole you know but still clear.)

P.s I'm also POSITIVE it's not H. lividum, I can provide pics of MM/MF of those as well if needed ;)

Also, with all due respect, all of those pictures are of the spider in the same position, taken from the same angle. We'll need more than just a top-down shot. :}

Ohh now come on, the last 3 are different lol. The pics were taken 1-2 hrs post molt and she had not stretched yet. I took these quick just to get a starting point in my search for a ID.

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I also fail to see what is so clear. I do see what could possibly be orange on the spinnerets, though it's hard to tell in those shots...

Bill

tin man

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think it looks like a H. minax, it doesn't look like my H. vonwirthi. But it is possible it can still just be a dark

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
i have a H. vonworthi and it looks exactly the same. i say it is a H. vonworthi.
How sure you are you have Haplopelma vonwirthi and why?

Well, IMO ID-ing spiders from pictures is often guesswork (
spider), especially since people usually provide only a few dorsal-view pictures where the distinguishing taxonomic characters are not at all visible. I asked why do you think it's not H. vonwirthi to see if you actually know what H. vonwirthi is. BTW, while H. vonwirthi is formally a valid species, it might just be a junior synonym of H. minax (see von Wirth et Striffler, 2005) - not a big surprise since it was described by the "taxonomist" Günter Schmidt. :)

Last edited:

Bird Man

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Who did you get the T from?
Hobbiest who didn't really know, but was giving their best guess it was a vonwirthi.

I also fail to see what is so clear. I do see what could possibly be orange on the spinnerets, though it's hard to tell in those shots...

Bill
Yes the one in question (pics on the first post here) has orange tipped spinnerets.

When I first got the H. vonwirthi I posted here and had it IDed here on this forum. This new one has a dark green and black abdomen, while the other one has more the brown/tan and black abdomen.

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The minax 'group' is a tough one, given the info we have available. As Zoltan already stated, they may end up as all the same sp. We likely won't know until Volker publishes, hopefully in my lifetime lol.
There seems to be a lot of regional variation that mostly differ in colors/patterns, with the taxonomic keys like spermathecae shapes and relative leg lengths being pretty much the same.
The 'real' Thai minax are said to have an olive toned carapace and not much pattern on the abdomen, similar to yours, but imho they usually don't have such defined stripes on the patellas. They are also reported to be a bit more robust and larger overall. The sp. Vietnam/vonwirthi are typically characterized by more obvious abdomen patterning and orange-y spinnerets. Apparently there are many versions in between with combination's of these traits.

Here's some I've had that all 'keyed out' as somewhere in the twilight zone of the 'minax group'.
The first is more similar to what is thought to be minax,
the second is a male that is obviously very light but upon maturing had 'normal' tone, the last two are typical of what I see as Vietnam/vonwirthi.

Bill

Last edited:

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
To me the spider above looks like what we have in the hobby as Haplopelma sp.Vietnam/Vonwirthi..
Whether this species is a variant of minax or its own unique species we wont know until papers are published as Bill said above.
Minax has a large range and there are different forms of them present in the hobby.
-Chris