Whitch is the fastest pokie from your experience?!

aveul

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I started this thread because more and more ppl say that all poecilotheria are very very fast but I don`t think so...

My pederseni and ornata are moving fast, ok ...

But all of my 5 formosa are running extremly fast!

So... ?

spartybassoon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Forget pokies, my A versicolor and minatrix can run circles around all of mine. My avics teleport quite regularly, and I've yet to see a pokie move as fast.

But if I had to pick a POKIE, I'd say my MM P. rufilata is pretty dang fast.

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The fastest is the one that got away.{D

My P. regalis is fast but my T. gigas was faster.

aveul

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry for my perfect english skills :))

I wanted to know only about pokies from the people who has many species of them... I`m preety courios whitch one is the fastest!?

At slings I`m sure that formosa are the fastest!

bamato

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hands down at my house it's the OBT. You want to talk about teleporting..... The thing leaves a smoke trail.

As for Pokies, I have to say I've never seen an 8" spider move as fast as my female Regalis....

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They're all fast. The fastest is probably the one with the longest legs. So it would be ornata.

Yeah, Pokies are one of the fastest tarantulas I've encountered, but my T. gigas beats them. Anyway, if your T doesn't run like hell all the time, it doesn't mean it isn't fast... I think it's pretty naive to say that Avics would be faster. ;)

Edit: The thing is, Pokies are generally relatively docile and even calm, when grown, so they won't teleport unless absolutely necessary. But when you see it... Wow.

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hands down at my house it's the OBT. You want to talk about teleporting..... The thing leaves a smoke trail.
Mine can move, but it's my S. calceatum that routinely makes the jump to light speed.

--the nature boy

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Obts are fast but idk. I had one get away from me once but immediately caught it. My P. Irminia on the other hand. WOW. Talk about teleporting. I opened the lid when she was in her web at bottom and then all of the sudden she was in a threat pose next to my hand even before I completely lifted the lid off.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have fasciata, formosa, metallica, miranda, ornata, pederseni, regalis, rufilata, and striata. The fastest slings among them have to be the pederseni, with the adults, I would have to say the fastest as well as the most skittish is the ornatas. But that is my experience, someone else may have Ts that are different.

No One

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for your reply!

How many species of Poecilotheria do you have?
I only got 6 species, but would still say My Regalis is the fastest, But as others said, it could just be that he is More skittish than the others.

spartybassoon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Anyway, if your T doesn't run like hell all the time, it doesn't mean it isn't fast... I think it's pretty naive to say that Avics would be faster. ;)
I've kept several species of both pokies (regalis, formosa, striata, fasciata, rufilata, pederseni) and avics (versicolor, purpurea, minatrix, avicularia, and sp. amazonica), and I have seen all of them run like heck. The thing is, with avics (especially slings) they can be in one spot and move so fast that your eyes can't follow, hence the teleportationI've never seen a pokie move so fast in that amount of time, but just because I haven't seen it doesn't mean it can't be done. I think that my pokies would definitely outrun my avics in the long haul since they run and keep running, but for short bursts of speed, avics win hands down. More specifically, A. minatrix and versicolor slings. My A. avicularia are pretty slow.

Like I said earlier though, the fastest pokie I have is MM P. rufilata. He got away from me the other day and was under the bed before I could grab him in a catch cup.

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Obts are fast but idk. I had one get away from me once but immediately caught it. My P. Irminia on the other hand. WOW. Talk about teleporting. I opened the lid when she was in her web at bottom and then all of the sudden she was in a threat pose next to my hand even before I completely lifted the lid off.
That might be, because they also have a tendency to jump (like most arboreals). ;) I think most people confuse this to an actual speed of the tarantula.

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've kept several species of both pokies (regalis, formosa, striata, fasciata, rufilata, pederseni) and avics (versicolor, purpurea, minatrix, avicularia, and sp. amazonica), and I have seen all of them run like heck. The thing is, with avics (especially slings) they can be in one spot and move so fast that your eyes can't follow, hence the teleportationI've never seen a pokie move so fast in that amount of time, but just because I haven't seen it doesn't mean it can't be done. I think that my pokies would definitely outrun my avics in the long haul since they run and keep running, but for short bursts of speed, avics win hands down. More specifically, A. minatrix and versicolor slings. My A. avicularia are pretty slow.

Like I said earlier though, the fastest pokie I have is MM P. rufilata. He got away from me the other day and was under the bed before I could grab him in a catch cup.
Read my previous message... Jump isn't the same as actually moving fast. A lot of people confuse these things.

spartybassoon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree with that statement, but I know that I have seen my do the same burst of speed while upside down - and that cannot be a jump. I'm not trying to argue, after all, we all have better uses of our time. I'm just sick of all the hype surrounding pokies. Fastest? No. Most ferocious? Definitely not. Most venemous? Not until someone does a study. Too many people pop up on these boards in awe of pokies as some sort of a idol tarantula, and they just aren't. They are very nice spiders that don't deserve all the mystical "facts" and sometimes fear that surround them.

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Read my previous message... Jump isn't the same as actually moving fast. A lot of people confuse these things.
The mistake usually made with debating jumping or fast running speed, is usually made by those who believe it is jumping rather than a fast running speed. If you slow down many spider movements believed to be jumping you will find that at least one leg is making contact at all times making it "technically" not a jump. I'm not saying they don't jump.