• avicularia versicolor

Votes: 34 30.1%
  • L parahybana

Votes: 20 17.7%

• Total voters

bamato

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'd suggest a Smithi for the reasons you suggested. They are fairly tame normally, and pretty :) Most can tolerate a little bit of handling with minor hair flicking. :)

skips

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I dont know if anybody is still paying attention to this thread, but would I be out of my mind to choose either chromatopelma cyanopubescens or an avicularis species as a first T FOR MY OWN COLLECTION? Had to be specific.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
would I be out of my mind to choose either chromatopelma cyanopubescens or an avicularis species as a first T FOR MY OWN COLLECTION? Had to be specific.
For your own private collection, you will very likely have to be careful they don't turn zippy on you - but it's a lot easier to manage when you only have to remove them from their enclosure for rehousing, which you can probably get away with doing only a handful of times even if you buy a tiny spiderling. (And if you'll be the only person interacting with them; the more co-workers interacting with a fast spider, the higher the risk of someone messing up.)

Or you could do what I did, and buy one big enough to go directly into an adult-sized enclosure. My girl was 2.5-3 inches, that was back in...2006, I guess? I'm only now considering rehousing her to something larger because of my concern about low enclosure ceilings and jumping mentioned earlier in the thread.

If you didn't see this thread, I suggest it if only as a counterpoint to the people who were insisting that Avics are never zippy or difficult to deal with. ;) http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=147482

But yeah, in a more controlled setting like a private collection you should be fine. Just respect that they can be easily startled and that they ARE faster than you. Neither species is a real common biter at least - if anybody gets hurt in an accident with them, it'll probably be the spider.

kaydyn1512

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I dont know if anybody is still paying attention to this thread, but would I be out of my mind to choose either chromatopelma cyanopubescens or an avicularis species as a first T FOR MY OWN COLLECTION? Had to be specific.
Many people will disagree with me but a Avicularia is a great first T. The A avicularia or versi's are great starter T's. You have to be conscious of care but they are docile (can be quick). These are my personal favorite Species of tarantula. All of mine are very docile and as long as don't move quickly they stay generally stay calm. My GBB is also very docile but there is more of a variation in attitudes with them. Just my 2 cents.

kaydyn1512

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
[QUOTE
If you didn't see this thread, I suggest it if only as a counterpoint to the people who were insisting that Avics are never zippy or difficult to deal with. ;)QUOTE]

Just to be clear about MY feelings, they are FAST but I do handle mine daily so I think they have become much more tolerant and seem less likely to flee as readily as others. I would say that is probably the same reason my GBB doesn't really bolt as well. I can only give you my own experiences obviously so there will be many other opinions. :)

Nightshade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I vote for B. smithi.
GBB and A. versicolor are my second and thiird picks.