Which tarantula to get?

wednesdayblue

Arachnopeon
Hi all, i was just wondering which would be the best to get.
Ive seen the Chilean rose hair, and wanted to get that. This is my first time keeping spiders. The only thing im worried about are those hairs. So my question is, do they bother anyone else? And also, are there any tarantulas that dont have these hairs on their bodies?

Thank-you.

fleshstain

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i'd recommend a G. aureostriata....mine are calmer than my G. rosea's and they get 7"+....something similar, as far as docileness, is a E. campestratus....either would make a great first T in my opinion....

Last edited:

FLESHS_GRRRL

Arachnopeon
fleshstain said:
i'd recommend a G. aureostriata....mine are calmer than my G. rosea's and they get 7"+....something similar, as far as docileness, is a E. campestrata....either would make a great first T in my opinion....
My chaco golden-knee is extremely docile and huge for her being under 4 yrs old. I would recommend the chaco as well. Fleshstain's chaco is quite docile too. Chilean rose's are so commonly sold and are docile, with the one in a million exception - which with mine was the case. She was extremely sketchy and I wouldn't go near her. My tarantula pro bf wouldn't mess with her either. So anyhoo, there's my answer. Grammostola aureostriata - chaco golden knee - great beginner.

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Welcome aboard! I love roseas- my first Tarantula,too. They are very hardy, have no special humidity requirements, they can even be kept in cooler temps. during the winter. They are also widely available and affordable. IMHO- every one should own one! Read the STICKY- Rosehair owners, how to really care for your G. rosea. There's plenty of great info there.

Mr Ed

Arachnobaron
Welcome aboard! Roes hairs are good starters as well as the Chaco golden knees. You may also think about an Avic. sp. such as the an Antille's pink toe. Most people on the boards go by the Latin/scientific names so if ever in doubt of what someone is talking about try the search, it helps a lot.

NickS1004

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
id go with a curly hair (Brachypelma albopilosum), a chaco golden knee (Grammostola aureostriata), or a Brazilian Black (Grammostola pulchra).

they are all docile and eat like pigs.. the Grammostola are fairly slow growing though. Curly Hairs are cheap ($5 for a spiderling), sort of quick growing (i think they are) and fairly attractive spiders. If you want a big spider.. go with the chaco (cheap too.. $10-$20 for a sling), personally, G. pulchra are my favorite, very docile and have a nice satiny-black color, they are expensive though ($25-$60 for a spiderling).

or you can do what everyone else here does.... get all three!

then get more after that..

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
To address your question regarding urticating hairs, there are a few things you should know. Most New World (those from the Americas) tarantulas have urticating hairs. These are used as a defense mechanism. There are several different types of hairs, based on the the shape (for lack of a better term) of the hair. I believe there are four or five types described. Depending on the type of hair they will be more or less irritating to you. Generally speaking though, the Grammostola species have fairly mild hairs. Brachypelma species are known to flick more readily. In addition, it seems that a number of folks have developed a sensitivity to the hairs over time. However, a person's reaction to the hairs is an individual trait.

Since the hairs are a defense mechanism, those New World tarantulas without them as well as the Old World tarantulas (those from Asia, Africa and Australia) tend to be much more defensive and are not recommended for beginners.

Look through the beginner's thread for more information. There are several good beginner's tarantulas recommended.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd go with a G.aureostriata. I have a 6" to 6.5" female who i adore, she eats all the time, and is very docile, she is one of my fav. Ts

-Matty

Crimsonpanther

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I love my G.rosea , she was my first and what got me addicted to this hobby !
BIG UPS to G.rosea ! :clap:

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I reccommend E. campestratus, although they have urticating hairs, they rarely flick them (at least in my experience). They also seem to me to be much more active than most of the Grammostola that I have.