which T/spider where you...

king7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
......most disappointed in?

for me its my trapdoor spider.ive seen them on tv in books ect and they are really cool to watch.so i bought one got it setup in a tank and then waited about a week for it to settle.then i thought right...feeding time :D i was all excited and couldnt wait to see it shoot out of the hole and grab the cric.but nothing happened and still to this day ive never seen it do so.

the only time ive seen it eat was when i forced a cric down the funnel just to make sure it didnt starve.:rolleyes:

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
mine is the A.chacoana. I have a female that she just doesn't truly interest me. But I keep her because she is a girl and can't sell her because hubby won't let me lol.

P.P.'s Mom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A. seemanni. I have to dig her up once a year to make sure she's still there.

bodar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i got this one T i bought as a Golden Tarantula, never been IDed, fully grown male, hooks and all 2.5 inches fully grown and looks like a P. murinus miniature.
but alas it never moves or eats when i feed him, or does anything for that mattter. my H.Lividum does more:wall:

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think my A. seemanni is my least fav. T she just sits in her little flower pot and never moves even when I put food in for her she lets it crawl around for days she only eats about every two to three weeks but I put 1 cricket in each week just in case she is hungry latly Ive been putting on in every week and a half to avoid removing so many dead wanted crickets
scott

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A. seemanni for me too, I haven't seen iy in months except through a small window on the bottom of the cage. I'm selling her once she hardens up from the last molt.

Juraki

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have to say A.seemanni too. Although I should be grateful that mine doesn't hide in a deep burrow for months. It's in the open 3/4 of the time. Nothing scares it, you can gently prod it, do tank maintenance everything, and won't do a thing but a very slight jump when startled. It won't run, or act skittish. No aggression either, and I think may have made a roach I put in it's pet since they can be found next to each other all the time. :?

It also hasn't eaten in 2 months, but drinks. It's opisthosoma is a healthy well nourished size but not fat. The bald spot is still chestnut brown, no sign of a molt just yet. Seems to be in perfect health. People actually think G.rosea is a pet rock, when this t is the poster child.

Edit: I forgot to mention however that I still value this pet, it may be boring but it makes me laugh occasionally. When I picture late night conversations between my seemanni and it's roach friend.

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
For me it's my Eupalaestrus campestratus Pink Zebra Beauty. She eats for 2-3 weeks every 8 months or so and then just stops. She hasn't molted in 2 years. She hides in a little hole, pressed right up against the glass, so I can see her no problem. I know she's fine. Every once in a while I see her up getting a drink of water. I guess she's happy, since she's not doing anything...which is what Ts do the best. But still....sheesh!

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
For me it's probably Aphonopelma anax. I'm normally a big Aphonopelma fan, but I've had three A. anaxes, and all three were total spazzes! These were the most neurotic, aggressive T's I've ever been around; one broke off a leg just running around the enclosure in a panic after I walked by! You couldn't open the enclosure to water them or anthing without a full-blown threat display, and they'd attack anything you put in the enclosure. You'd be lucky if the spider didn't bolt and run out of the enclosure and then have to be chased all over the house! Everything I'd read on this species refers to it as "docile" and "calm", but mine, including the one I have now, were anything BUT!

pitbulllady

Cerbera

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Juraki said:
I have to say A.seemanni too. Although I should be grateful that mine doesn't hide in a deep burrow for months. It's in the open 3/4 of the time. Nothing scares it, you can gently prod it, do tank maintenance everything, and won't do a thing but a very slight jump when startled. It won't run, or act skittish. No aggression either, and I think may have made a roach I put in it's pet since they can be found next to each other all the time. :?

It also hasn't eaten in 2 months, but drinks. It's opisthosoma is a healthy well nourished size but not fat. The bald spot is still chestnut brown, no sign of a molt just yet. Seems to be in perfect health. People actually think G.rosea is a pet rock, when this t is the poster child.

Edit: I forgot to mention however that I still value this pet, it may be boring but it makes me laugh occasionally. When I picture late night conversations between my seemanni and it's roach friend.
Mine has done exactly the same. Roach and her co-exist in perfect harmony - Ginevra actually lifts legs to let it pass... she also does nothing, eats very very little, yet looks fat and healthy, and is, as far as I know, happy. I can't say I find her dull or uninteresting though, for the same reasons as you. Also, I am in a 3 year ongoing mental war with my seemanni, as she continues (on those rare occasions where she IS doing stuff) to find ways to thwart my cage defences, and 'break on through to the other side'. I'm winning so far, but it's been close at times. Hell - she was a reject in the shop, she's the most dull looking, and quietly calm spider I've got, and I love her dearly anyway, if not especially because of that... I will be mortified the day she's not here anymore.

stubby8th

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The spider that's has disappointed me the most is:
I traded some slings with another board member some time last year - I was really wanting a Paraphysa scrofa and had my 'feelers' out there for some time, when this member contacted me and said they had more than they needed (egg sack) and would trade. So I sent 2 fairly rare Eupalaestrus weijenberghi slings her way and she sent 3 scrofa's to me. One died. Another died a few months ago. The third has molted to a point to where it's adult coloration shows; sure looks like a Pterinochilus murinus to me - what do ya'll think??

Last edited:

bananaman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Juraki said:
When I picture late night conversations between my seemanni and it's roach friend.
Great story lol :D i pictured them and cracked up!

My least favorite is probably my fasciatum... i NEVER see it, i see my lividum more often... its always in its enclosed hide...

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
lol my bad. I'm most disapointed in B. smithi actually....not too fun to watch.