Which species of Huntsman?

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Purchased this today simply as a "huntsman spider." Can anyone help identify the exact species? I'm just wondering how big it'll get, and what sort of environment I should provide for it. Thanks in advance!

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
A good pic of it's face would be helpful. Why am I seeing some webbing there?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How big is it? A pic a little further away would help size it up for people. As for the webbing, they anchor down with silk, something like a safety-line. I've seen some spin around over and over after they catch something, took me a while to see that they are spinning silk around the prey when they are doing that.

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'll try to get a better shot of its face, but that's easier said than done since it's just in a deli cup right now -- and there's no way I'm taking it out. As for size, its body is around 1" long, and I'd estimate the legspan to be 4", maybe even 5". I have no idea whether or not it's close to full-grown. I'm guessing it's probably a domestic (North American) species, though.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Prob not from N. America if it's that big. I've never seen a pic of one that looks like that from here either. If it's that large and from N. America, they'd be more popular in the hobby here. I'm guessing it's from a more tropical area.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Its one of the Malaysian species that was popular around 2007. Sorry I cant remember the label they came tagged with, and a short internet search i couldn't find the name either:( (Im a bit surprised and delighted to see one pop up again though)

The only "pet" spider I have been bit by, super fast, watch your fingers :eek:

Just before it landed on my finger and bit me...

Later, Tom

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the info! Very cool. It seems I'm going to have to be extremely on-guard come rehousing time, haha. Any idea what the max size is for these?

And I'm assuming that if they're from Malaysia, they must prefer moderate-to-high humidity.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Purchased this today simply as a "huntsman spider." Can anyone help identify the exact species? I'm just wondering how big it'll get, and what sort of environment I should provide for it. Thanks in advance! ...
This may be on interest to you. Be sure to follow the sub-links.

Enjoy your 8-legged ghost!