Which New World species would you say are not for beginners?

jaycied

Arachnoknight
A better question would be - "What species would you recommend for a beginner" that way we could let you know what is a good spider to begin with. That's a bit of an "arse over feet" question.
Agreed, there are some questions that are better answered what you shouldn't do, but this is one that should be phrased "what SHOULD I do". Research. Research. More research. Until your eyes bleed, you've read every post on here about beginner species, and seen all of the good tarantula youtubers.

When I started out, I had picked up an A. genic sling like an idiot in one of those awful petco spider huts. Trying to figure out what to do with a tarantula I could barely see (yes, should have done RESEARCH before getting it) (side note: this was my 2nd T, my first was an Avic sp. pet store) I stumbled across Tom's Big Spiders blog. I read his entire blog and started RESEARCHING all of his suggested beginner species.

There are some obvious ones to avoid, but it's easier to suggest ones that would be good starters.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I don't get why the theraposas are getting such a bad rap on here. I have been keeping the stirmi and apophysis for about 7 years now and talk about easy tarantulas to keep in captivity. I keep both in bigger terrariums than my other tarantulas and add water to the substrate weekly to keep moist and that is it. In the 7 years I have never had a threat posture or have even heard the hissing sound they make when they feel threatened. They have been such easy tarantulas to keep, I honestly feel its the size they grow to that makes beginners feel they are to much for them. The hairs do suck though but that's what gloves and tongs are for.
No one is saying that it is impossible for a beginner to take care of a Theraphosa. It is way more than plausible if they do their research first. Some people start out with an OBT and they're absolutely fine.

It's just that the Theraphosa genus isn't an IDEAL beginner genus. The size can be incredibly intimidating to someone who hasn't come face to face with a tarantula before and the hairs are positively wicked. No one is saying Theraphosa isn't a great genus. Is it for everybody? Definitely not, some people are far more sensitive to urticating hairs than others and can have severe allergic reactions to it. Some people just like to avoid the possibility of getting bit by those enormous fangs. Everybody has their reasons and preferences. But the point of the thread was to point out tarantulas that beginners would be better off leaving alone until they have some experience under their belt.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'll make this easy for you all, the best top three beginner species are Grammostola sp. "Concepción" and Eupalaestrus campestratus and our classic tarantula Brachypelma hamorii.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
Any Psalmopoeus, Ephebopus, Phormictopus, Nhandu, Pamphobeteus, Tapinauchenius or Theraphosa sp.
I certainly wouldn't recommend trying to rehouse a Pamp when your new to Keeping , nearly jumped out of of skin when it attached my paint brush ! Luckily I had my experienced daughter with me that day ,it taught me just what some of the things to expect with not having so much experience . Still have him / her , just do food and water . His / hers just denfensive if you go and touch them , which once rehoused I don't have to do now .

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I'll make this easy for you all, the best top three beginner species are Grammostola sp. "Concepción" and Eupalaestrus campestratus and our classic tarantula Brachypelma hamorii.

I dunno. My E. campestratus was a murder machine. :D And he's an aging mature male now and still equals my A. geniculata and L. parahybana in regard to feeding response and indiscrimination when it comes to going on the attack. I dealt with him in the same manner as I do those two during routine maintenance. In other words, I kept my fingers the hell away from him, to do otherwise would all but guarantee I'd get tagged.
But I think he could be a bit atypical of the species, given other evaluations of their nature.