Which new T to get? Would be last purchase for a while....

SteveIDDQD

Arachnosquire
I'm pretty happy with my collection now, I have a great variety of colours and types and my "spider book shelf" is pretty much full. But, I won a free postage voucher from one of my favourite breeders, so a perfect excuse for one more!

From the selection available, I've narrowed it down to -

B.boehmei Juvi - I've got a juvi hamorrii, so It wouldn't be anything new, but a different colour. Really pretty though.

B.emilia juvi - As above.

C.darlingi adult female - Very tempted, but I have a C.fimbriatus adult female and shy fossorials aren't really my thing, though I love to see them digging their new burrow and settling in.

D.fasciatus or N.incei juvi - Never had or considered a dwarf T at all, any comments on these two?

N.carapoensis or N.coloratovillosus juvi - I have an adult female chromatus, so pretty much the same with different colours?

Theraphosinae species Roatan - I have no idea about this one, but I'm intrigued as it looks to be a big hungry terrestrial.

P.regalis or P.tigrinawesseli Juvis - Never had a poki, again I'm more of a big terrestrial fan, and not too into arboreal Ts. I know not having a poki is a gap in my "collection" though...

Phormictopus.cancerides or a Pamphobeteus.antinous, both big slings - I have slings of a similar species to each already, but I do like the look of them.

If any one has any strong feeling or comments on one of the above T's (any you love, any you hate?), I would very much appreciate it - it may sway me of which my next and probably last tarantula purchase (for a long, long time) will be.

Cheers,
Steve.

Urzeitmensch

Arachnosquire
I started out with a juvie B. Harmorii and got a juvie (though a lot smaller) B. Boehmei recently. While the close kinship is obvious the coloration is still notably different. It molted recently and look like on fire fresh out if the molt.

However, I am probably biased because I really love Brachypelma species. They are beautiful, hardy, easy to keep and a lot out in the open.

Urzeitmensch

Arachnosquire
IMG_20190805_124720_4.jpg

Sorry for the bad quality. My phone's camera is really bad. The colors are more vibrant in reality.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
I'm Brachypelma mad so I would always say go for another Brachy

SteveIDDQD

Arachnosquire
I started out with a juvie B. Harmorii and got a juvie (though a lot smaller) B. Boehmei recently. While the close kinship is obvious the coloration is still notably different. It molted recently and look like on fire fresh out if the molt.

However, I am probably biased because I really love Brachypelma species. They are beautiful, hardy, easy to keep and a lot out in the open.
The B. Boehmei is very much the front runner in terms of how pretty it is, but some others edge it out on their interesting behaviour or sheer size/growth rate.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
My perspective, given your remarks about having a pretty diverse collection, would be to go with a species of which you don’t have something similar. Considering all the animals you mentioned above, I would say pokie. It is a genus that is a hobby staple for diverse collections, and they are something to be experienced (and please note, they are not the terrors of the branches that many present). I only have one, and don’t plan on getting any more, but I am glad I have her. I would add as a subjective comment that if you went the pokie route and you’re thinking of limiting your collection, go with P. ornata or rufilata. They get quite large, are gorgeous without being gaudy, and mine is out all the time, doesn’t bolt when lights come on, or I move around to snap pictures of her. One of my faves (as demonstrated by her being on my desk and not on a shelf). However, if you are set on one of the two you mentioned, I’d go with regalis. I’m a sucker for black and white color schemes.

SteveIDDQD

Arachnosquire
My perspective, given your remarks about having a pretty diverse collection, would be to go with a species of which you don’t have something similar. Considering all the animals you mentioned above, I would say pokie. It is a genus that is a hobby staple for diverse collections, and they are something to be experienced (and please note, they are not the terrors of the branches that many present). I only have one, and don’t plan on getting any more, but I am glad I have her. I would add as a subjective comment that if you went the pokie route and you’re thinking of limiting your collection, go with P. ornata or rufilata. They get quite large, are gorgeous without being gaudy, and mine is out all the time, doesn’t bolt when lights come on, or I move around to snap pictures of her. One of my faves (as demonstrated by her being on my desk and not on a shelf). However, if you are set on one of the two you mentioned, I’d go with regalis. I’m a sucker for black and white color schemes.
I was expecting a lot of people to recommend a Poki. I think if a rufilata was available, I would have been a lot more likely to get it.

korlash091

Arachnosquire
You should go for the N. incei, they are great, awesome webs, nice appetite, beautiful tarantula.

SteveIDDQD

Arachnosquire
Hmmm, just thought of another option.

The breeder has juvenile M.balfouri, I have a juvenile m.balfouri too... I know it's a massive risk, but has anyone introduced another balfouri to a single balfouri with success?

You should go for the N. incei, they are great, awesome webs, nice appetite, beautiful tarantula.
Its at the top end of the list, so there's a good chance.

Last edited by a moderator:

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
Out of that list I'd go with either the P. cancerides or P. tigrinawesseli. I have 3 Phormictopus, 2 cancerides and an auratus and they are loaded with personality if a bit nasty, lol. I had to recommend the tigrinawesseli because that's one on my wish list. I have one pokie, a rufilata and I quite like it.

Clydedaisy

Arachnopeon
00F958EA-D2B5-4B12-8BC6-8F7F45063D6E.jpeg N. incei! I have a male who is the only spider who exits his burrow when I open the enclosure for feeding :) eats like a mini genic and awesome shining green colors

Phia

Arachnopeon
FA128797-5232-4ECE-BF9F-8B37FCDE81A8.jpeg B. boehmi! They’re pretty and surprisingly feisty for a brachy. Mine is actually VERY feisty. Always out. Attached is a pic of my tiny 1” juvi. (Dont worry I rehoused them)

M. balfouri are one of the best old worlds of ALL TIME but introducing another for a two man communal late in life sounds sketchy to me. I’ve heard of it being successful before. But risky!

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Phormictoous cancerides cos i like them myself. What i like and what others like may not be the same thing!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I'm pretty happy with my collection now, I have a great variety of colours and types and my "spider book shelf" is pretty much full. But, I won a free postage voucher from one of my favourite breeders, so a perfect excuse for one more!
What all do you currently have?

SteveIDDQD

Arachnosquire
What all do you currently have?
LP juvenile female.
T.blondi big sling
A.genic juvenile
B.albopolosum juvenile
GBB big sling
B.hamorii juvenile
A.semanni sub adult
M.balfouri juvenile
P.irminia sub adult
P.sazimai sub adult
C.fimbriatus adult female
Pampho sp. Something. Sling
Phormictopus sp. Something. Sling
P.regius jumpy girl
C.versicolor sling.
N.chromatus adult female.

Sorry for any spelling and not remembering the two sp. Locals. Typing on my phone!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The Goddess, you need the Goddess!*

*0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her).

Praise the Sun :bookworm:

Arachnathulu

Arachnopeon
LP juvenile female.
T.blondi big sling
A.genic juvenile
B.albopolosum juvenile
GBB big sling
B.hamorii juvenile
A.semanni sub adult
M.balfouri juvenile
P.irminia sub adult
P.sazimai sub adult
C.fimbriatus adult female
Pampho sp. Something. Sling
Phormictopus sp. Something. Sling
P.regius jumpy girl
C.versicolor sling.
N.chromatus adult female.

Sorry for any spelling and not remembering the two sp. Locals. Typing on my phone!
I would say my good sir or madam. You do not have yet, a harpactira pulchirpes, pterinochulus murinus, heteroscodra maculata, nor do you have a lasiodora parahybana. Those would be my picks.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
If any one has any strong feeling or comments on one of the above T's (any you love, any you hate?), I would very much appreciate it - it may sway me of which my next and probably last tarantula purchase (for a long, long time) will be.
Phormictopus.cancerides or a Pamphobeteus.antinous, both big slings - I have slings of a similar species to each already, but I do like the look of them.
If what you like best is big terrestrials, this is probably your best bet.

B.emilia juvi - As above.
A great-looking display spider. Mine is a pet rock and has never haired me or threatened me.

D.fasciatus or N.incei juvi - Never had or considered a dwarf T at all, any comments on these two?
Neoholothele incei builds elaborate web complexes and has an awesome prey response. However, mine is pretty of reclusive.

Most of what is sold as "Davus fasciatus" is actually Davus pentaloris; I would not consider them dwarf tarantulas, but they don't get huge either. They have an interesting look, and its fun to watch them move their abdomens as they web.

C.darlingi adult female - Very tempted, but I have a C.fimbriatus adult female and shy fossorials aren't really my thing, though I love to see them digging their new burrow and settling in.
Ceratogyrus darlingi is not always reclusive, though it does burrow. It also has a horn!

P.regalis or P.tigrinawesseli Juvis - Never had a poki, again I'm more of a big terrestrial fan, and not too into arboreal Ts. I know not having a poki is a gap in my "collection" though...
Honestly, if you aren't into arboreals, there's no reason you have to get a Poecilotheria just for the sake of completion.

SteveIDDQD

Arachnosquire
If what you like best is big terrestrials, this is probably your best bet.

A great-looking display spider. Mine is a pet rock and has never haired me or threatened me.

Neoholothele incei builds elaborate web complexes and has an awesome prey response. However, mine is pretty of reclusive.

Most of what is sold as "Davus fasciatus" is actually Davus pentaloris; I would not consider them dwarf tarantulas, but they don't get huge either. They have an interesting look, and its fun to watch them move their abdomens as they web.

Ceratogyrus darlingi is not always reclusive, though it does burrow. It also has a horn!

Honestly, if you aren't into arboreals, there's no reason you have to get a Poecilotheria just for the sake of completion.
Thanks for the input.

I'd assumed it was a pentaloris after doing some reading tonight. looks really pretty and I think it may be a front runner.

Tarantula with a horn is pretty tempting still. Wish my fimbriatus was out a bit, not seen her since February!

I think I may run out of space for the big guys though, got to consider when they start getting big! It also seems like the main difference to the ones I have is a slightly different sheen...