Which Avics poo the least?

wonderfvl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here's a note I saw concerning avics: "Slow moving for an arboreal, but fast compared to most other docile species. They're unlikely to bite and they can't "flick" their urticating hairs- they have to press them into an assailant. While some individuals of this species may act relaxed, most are quite skittish when held. Also, they are sometimes prone to using their feces as a defense mechanism- and they can be quite accurate with it!"

I was very interested in possibly owning one, but too much 'poo' is not appealing to me. I like Avicularia geroldi, Avicularia huriana, Avicularia minatrix, & Avicularia versicolor.

Do all Avics use 'poo' as a defense & do all of them litter the glass w/ feces too? Thanks in advance.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
haha i wouldnt worry bout the poo there buddy.id reccomend a versicolor tho.has to be one of the most impressive looking t's imo.especially while there young

mybabyhasfangs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My son has been poo'd on by one of our A. metallicas. I got a chuckle out of it but I wasn't the one being poo'd on either.

I may be all wrong on this, but it says as a defense. And it could be a personality thing also. Some of our avics don't mind being held, others don't like it at all. But that little metallica is the only one so far that has pooped on anyone. We don't get ours out very often.

It's really not that bad, it wasn't like a ton of poo, but enough to make my son put the spider away. Which is what the spider wanted anyway!

Christina

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
wonderfvl said:
Do all Avics use 'poo' as a defense & do all of them litter the glass w/ feces too? Thanks in advance.
Dunno about the first question, but that's only gonna be a problem if you want to hold them or startle them otherwise! But I'm pretty sure that they all litter the glass with poo. No problem there though because it's easily removed with a some lukewarm water.

KingJames

Arachnopeon
My A. hentzi crawls around the cage dragging his but and smears it everywhere anyway, so I don't think it matters if they can shoot it or not, they will get it where they want it regardless...

FOX

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Have you ever thought about other animals ''marking'' their teritory?

Maybe she thinks you belong to her...lol:D

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm not sure anyone would be able to tell for sure which species does it less, because really like someone said, it's probably more of an individual personality thing. I don't think it should keep you from getting one though. I have 7 avics from 5 different species (avicularia, versicolor, minatrix, purpurea, and braunshauseni) and I can't say I notice any difference between them. Nor is it really a problem for cage cleaning. In fact, I think old webbing makes more of a mess and is harder to clean than poop. I've only ever had one go on me while handling and that was when transferring it to it's new set-up after shipping (understandably a stressful time). I'd say go ahead and get one! They are great. If the whole poop thing still bothers you, then you'll probably just want to keep handling to a minimum.

Karen

Alissa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have an A. avic that's very special to me.

I was handling it in the store to check it out and when it tried to run down my arm I blocked it and it sprayed poo all over the front of my chest (and since I wear my long hair down, in my hair too.)

It honestly wasn't that bad, it's not like dog poop or anything. Everyone had a good laugh, and I figured that I'd better take it home after that because well, now we share a special bond.

I don't like handling it much because it's so speedy. Cleaning the poop off the glass is no problem either. I'd recommend getting an a. versicolor, mine is stunning even as a sling.

Becky Wheeler

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lol, yep they shoot poop but it's only a tiny white plop. you should see them strain when they do it! bloody funny! it's like READY AIM FIRE!. But really i have a couple, ones a versicolor and they look amazing!.