where to draw the line?

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
im 13 and i have 10 tarantulas. 6 of which would put me in a hospital and 7 that would bite me without hesitation. Those 7 are 3 p ornatas, a cobalt blue, a p murinus, a h maculata and a goliath bird eater. My sericopelma rubronitens female and my pzb have never shown any signs of aggresion unless they are startled and my sericopelma rubronitens male is pretty aggresive until you get him out of his container. My point is that as long as you dont gve them the chance to bite you then it shouldnt be a problem.

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
you can get bitten giving them water......it only takes a second and nobody is fast enough to get out of the way in time to avoid it

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am sorry but that comment wasnt thoughtout very well...A dog can be trained! can your tarantulas roll over? Fetch ? go for a walk on a leash? :embarrassed: comparing dogs to tarantulas is like comparing......well dogs and tarantulas...they are complete opposites that cannot be compared
It was thought out just fine. It was a generalization in response to a generalization.

Plus, there are many people who think there are certain stubborn breeds of dog that you just can't train.

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
I was raised in a household that bred and trained Dobermans for guard dogs, I have myself owned Dobies and pitbulls. Any dog can be trained! As long as care is taken to give them the proper training techniques. You cannot "generalize" that comment. Saying that there are some breeds of dogs that are untrainable is as unthoughtout as saying large breed dogs are the same as tarantulas simply because both can put you in the hospital. Giving your child a large breed dog that is untrained and aggressive is not something a parent should do. Letting your child purchase an old world T happens. Falling down can put a kid in the hospital, you as a parent cant control that, Having an old world T in the care of a child is something that as a parent you can control.

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i suppose that you can get bitten doing general care matenance. I just think that kids should be allowed to have old world species. It's not like it will kill anyone. Could be pretty bad pain but if you get any species with a bad bite then you better be prepared to deal with the bite. I hope i dont get bit but i am prepared for it to happen.

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
as a parent

i suppose that you can get bitten doing general care matenance. I just think that kids should be allowed to have old world species. It's not like it will kill anyone. Could be pretty bad pain but if you get any species with a bad bite then you better be prepared to deal with the bite. I hope i dont get bit but i am prepared for it to happen.
and if you were allergic? or a secondary infection takes place? When you have kids you will want to do everything you can to keep them from harm. Would you want to see your child in the hospital from something you could have easily prevented? I hope not because I would hate to know there was something I could have done to prevent my child from being in the hospital.

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
i suppose that you can get bitten doing general care matenance. the bite.
read the bite reports alot of the bites were from general maintenance not playing withem or holding them.

Adults screw-up all the time a split second lapse in judgement, an unexpected "pissed off" moment by a T that is usually docile and calm.
The point is that keeping your kids safe is something that is more important than anything else! Anytime you set foot in a hospital its never a good thing!

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was raised in a household that bred and trained Dobermans for guard dogs, I have myself owned Dobies and pitbulls. Any dog can be trained! As long as care is taken to give them the proper training techniques. You cannot "generalize" that comment. Saying that there are some breeds of dogs that are untrainable is as unthoughtout as saying large breed dogs are the same as tarantulas simply because both can put you in the hospital. Giving your child a large breed dog that is untrained and aggressive is not something a parent should do. Letting your child purchase an old world T happens. Falling down can put a kid in the hospital, you as a parent cant control that, Having an old world T in the care of a child is something that as a parent you can control.
There are also stupid parents. Have to remember that. Some people just choose NOT to train their animals.

Speaking from experience: growing up, a friend of mine's parents bought a Rottweiler. Didn't bother to train it. It nearly bit my thumb off.

I'm completely for kids having old world T's. I think you misunderstand me.

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
I'm completely for kids having old world T's. I think you misunderstand me.
I understood you I just dont agree with you.

I do agree with you 100% that there are stupid parents. But If that dog had training the bite would not have happened.....You cant train a tarantula so therefore you cant prevent the bite from happening, you may get luchy for years and not get bitten or it may happen the first time you put your hand in the tank you can never know for sure. If you want YOUR children to experience a pokie or obt bite then by all means let them have one. I would never put my child in that kind of situation. If my N. coloratovillosus bites my 9 year old I can put some ice on it dry her tears and tell her its ok. If a pokie bites my daughter putting her in the car and taking her for a trip to the hospital is not very reassuring!

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I understood you I just dont agree with you.

I do agree with you 100% that there are stupid parents. But If that dog had training the bite would not have happened.....You cant train a tarantula so therefore you cant prevent the bite from happening, you may get luchy for years and not get bitten or it may happen the first time you put your hand in the tank you can never know for sure. If you want YOUR children to experience a pokie or obt bite then by all means let them have one. I would never put my child in that kind of situation. If my N. coloratovillosus bites my 9 year old I can put some ice on it dry her tears and tell her its ok. If a pokie bites my daughter putting her in the car and taking her for a trip to the hospital is not very reassuring!
If I ever had kids, I'd want them to experience the hobby to its fullest.

Lots of things can cause you to go to the hospital. Climbing trees. You can fall and break your neck. Would I still let my kids climb trees? Yup. It's an experience. If they fall and get hurt, then they know to be more careful next time.

But, then again, I will never have kids, so maybe this doesn't apply to me {D

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think that any kid responsible enough to keep a tarantula alive without help from an adult should be allowed to have an old world tarantula. I understand that bites can happen even to people being responsible but i think that with the purchase of a dangerouse tarantula you also should need to accept that you might be bitten. If you dont want to be bitten then dont buy it.

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
I have to say this.......A child "and thats what we are talking about" has no right to make a decision about a pet that WHEN it bites will land the child in the hospital. Do you think its fair that a parent has to pay for the hospital bill, has to worry anout their childs well being, or has the additional emotional guilt of " I knew I shouldnt have let him buy that thing" simply because the child says I want one.

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think that any kid responsible enough to keep a tarantula alive without help from an adult should be allowed to have an old world tarantula. I understand that bites can happen even to people being responsible but i think that with the purchase of a dangerouse tarantula you also should need to accept that you might be bitten. If you dont want to be bitten then dont buy it.
You lose me at "ANY" kid able to keep a tarantula alive.
Really, when fully taking into account the concerns and variables you're dealing with between a B. smithi and a large P. ornata, for all intents and purposes you're practically talking 2 different hobbies.

Plenty of kids are able, plenty are not - thus the qualifiers in my original post.
Either of my 12 year olds are capable of taking care of a calm, docile A. chalcodes. A pokey is a whole different ball of wax and neither kid is prepared to deal with such an animal.

Last edited:

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I do not see where Joe's logic fails.
Fascinating. I stand by my (misspelled) statement.

His logic fails because, per him (and apparently you), it's better to let an irresponsible teenager kill a few animals through neglect to learn a lesson than to exercise a parent's duty to educate his children before the damage is done. By that logic, it's better to let a kid get hit by a car so he'll learn that crossing the street is dangerous. Again I say fascinating. And asinine.

My parents thought otherwise. They believed in ensuring that their children understood what caring for a pet really meant before we were allowed to have pets, and then only if we demonstrated that we were up to the task.

Thank you, though, for the spelling correction. And thank you for the lesson I'm really learning here, that it's the adults we should really be worrying about. Another lesson I've learned reading this grotesque thread is that I was blessed to have had a couple of exceptional and very rare parents.

It's tragic that animals had to die so that this guy's lesson could be learned.

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
But, then again, I will never have kids, so maybe this doesn't apply to me {D
As a parent its your duty to do your best to keep your kids safe, I broke my arm when I was 12 falling out of a tree, A tree my mother told me to stay out of! You cant stop every accident from happening. You can stop a kid from getting bitten by a "hot" tarantula....by not letting them have one!

I honestly feel a child can get everything they need to become full fledged arachnoholics in this hobby without having an old world T. IMO

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This sort of thing-----> {D{D{D{D isn't doing you any favors if your wish is to be taken seriously here.

I also find it curious how you're able to determine what the most asinine thing ever posted in this forum is ... I can say without reservation that while you have some competition, you're in the running for this particular thread.
{D{D{D Well, I may be in the running, but I can only hope to come in a distant third place ....

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You're safe, you were blown out of the water early on really. No worries. :)

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
some great points are being made here. I am for both sides. On the one hand if a kid cant care for a pzb than deffinatly that person shouldnt get an old world t. On the other hand if the kid is responsible enough for it then maybe it wouldnt be a bad idea. Maybe you could test the kid. Have them care for an aggresive tarantula with mild venom for a while like a goliath. If they are bit dont let them have the old world t. If they arn't then let them have it.