Where to come upon purchasing avicularia versicolor?

Crazasta

Arachnopeon
I've become incredibly interested in the avicularia versicolor species. I'm really new to tarantulas, usually I'm a scorpion-exclusive type of person. I've recently become interested in owning a tarantula, I've never owned one before and I've read that this is a very docile, flighty type, and of course I'm in love with the way they look. I have a feeling my biggest problem will be finding one, so I came to ask where I could possibly find one and how pricey it could get? I live in Indiana in the U.S. Any tips or advice for them would also be pretty appreciated.

kanito107

Arachnosquire
They are not that hard to find , I'm assuming your looking for slings since you can watch it go through its color forms, the classifieds are a great place to start, where in Indiana are you from

Crazasta

Arachnopeon
I'm in south indianapolis. I might consider slings but I'm unsure, never taken care of a sling before. Not sure how difficult it would be.

19tarantula91

Arachnosquire
I'm in south indianapolis. I might consider slings but I'm unsure, never taken care of a sling before. Not sure how difficult it would be.
Do your homework and it won't be that hard. Slings are awesome to watch grow and develop into the beautiful T they can become :)

Crazasta

Arachnopeon
Do your homework and it won't be that hard. Slings are awesome to watch grow and develop into the beautiful T they can become :)
I'm sure. I would prefer it that way, I'm the type of person to where pets, no matter what species they are, should be viewed and taken as family. I just don't want to end up messing it up with a young one.

kanito107

Arachnosquire
No trust me after I researched how to care for slings, my first tarantulas that I ever owned were slings and I have only lost two slings for an unknown reason. All my slings are alive and well

pavel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Check with John Apple. I've gotten almost all my T's from him, including my versi.

AriZoNaS HacKeR

Arachnopeon
They have a few at the store here in arizona, i could easily purchase it for you and ship you it if the costs are paid :) i even have one id sell for like $40 and ship it anyway you want and just pick my own back up for $60 they sell them but he will resell me the versi again for $60 being that i volunteer :D PM if you need help man

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Crazasta.....i will be the first to tell ya that avics can be a bit tricky for new t owners who are UNPREPARED. do your homework. they require higher humidity, as well as ventilation which can be tricky to achieve. UNDER NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES id recommend a sling 9 out of 10 times, however, because of S.A.D.S (sudden avicularia death syndrome) id suggest gettin a juvie or sub adult... hell, even a MALE. i only say this because MALES are generally cheaper. Also, the idea of owning a t is cool, but you could get one and realize its not for you. with a male, you wont have to make a LONG TERM commitment. A good thing about a male as your 1st t, aside from the price, is once it matures you ideally should have enough time to learn more about ts, and you can trade your mature male for a handful of slings, or cash, or new ts etc..... just my .02$

Crazasta

Arachnopeon
Crazasta.....i will be the first to tell ya that avics can be a bit tricky for new t owners who are UNPREPARED. do your homework. they require higher humidity, as well as ventilation which can be tricky to achieve. UNDER NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES id recommend a sling 9 out of 10 times, however, because of S.A.D.S (sudden avicularia death syndrome) id suggest gettin a juvie or sub adult...
That's exactly the reason I have doubts about getting a sling first. I really wouldn't like for it to end up dying. I have no doubt that I'd get into tarantulas. I absolutely love arachnids, like I said, I'm mainly a scorp person and I probably always will be. :D However, any arachnid I get into is something I think a lot about and I'll definitely dedicated to. I don't think I would have much of a problem with humidity, but for ventilation, what would you suggest?

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
SADS aside, slings are still somewhat more difficult for beginners. Think through your decision and you'll be fine :)

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
oh man, there are PLENTY of ways to house them. and as far as ventilation goes, well that depends on how much of a craftsman you are... i personally dont have any enclosures with the 2" vents like you see ... but i have alot of rob c style enclosures ive built out of 2.5 and 5 gal tanks and plexi. i use a straight edge going horizontal, and vertical every inch or so and then drill out the holes everywhere the 2 lines intersect. thats been providing all the VENTILATION i need... as far as humidity goes, i provide all my juv/adult ts a waterdish and mist accordingly.

---------- Post added 12-25-2011 at 11:09 PM ----------

if youre going with a smaller sling, id recommend vents at the top, the middle, and the base of the enclosure (all the way around) for cross ventilation w/o mold issues