where to buy a Agelenopsis

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
can someone point me in the direction of where to buy a spider from the Agelenopsis family i cant for the life of me find them for sale.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If you contact Peter Clausen from Bugs in Cyberspace he may either have some or could find some for you.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Agelenopsis is the genus, not family. Did you just want something in the family agelenidae?

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
Agelenopsis is the genus, not family. Did you just want something in the family agelenidae?
ok im gonna be honest with you for the past 2 years that ive kept inverts id just google the common name and paste the scientific one into the forums so i have no idea i just want one of these guys
Screenshot 2018-11-26 at 2.58.43 PM.png

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
If you end up looking for some in the wild, if they're in the area, they're usually pretty easy to spot because of their webs. Agelenopsis spp. usually seem to make pretty big sheet webs that have a funnel built into them. The spider will usually be located in or at the entrance of this funnel. For examples of what the webs look like, you can google "Agelenopsis web".

The webs can be in a lot of different places. Examples of places they can be are on the ground (e.g. on grass, on bark chips), on hedges, on or in bushes, right under the eaves of houses, or even in houses. (In our house, I've been seeing a lot of wandering males right now and have even been seeing quite a few females out and about too. Usually it seems like the females are searching for water because when you drop a drip of water if front of them, they will a lot of timers rush to drink it.) If you look in the mornings, when there's a dew, that can also make it easier to spot them it seems like in some of these outdoor places. When it starts getting colder, they usually seem to start taking their webs down, so it might be harder to find them right now. During the warmer months though, they should be easier to spot.

These guys don't make sticky webs and instead seem to depend more on strength and speed to subdue their prey. When it feels prey on its web, it will immediately run out to wrestle the prey and then bring it back into the funnel. This takedown can be pretty quick.

There are a few ways you can go about trying to catch one but I've found a good way is to lure it out. Flies with one wing torn make great bait. (If I'm removing wings on prey, I usually just remove one wing. They can still buzz with the other wing this way which can be really helpful in luring spiders out.) One you've thrown the bait onto the web, you'll have to be quick and careful to catch your spider. I recommend wide mouth containers for this method.

Last edited:

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
If you end up looking for some in the wild, if they're in the area, they're usually pretty easy to spot because of their webs. Agelenopsis spp. usually seem to make pretty big sheet webs that have a funnel built into them. The spider will usually be located in or at the entrance of this funnel. For examples of what the webs look like, you can google "Agelenopsis web".

The webs can be in a lot of different places. Examples of places they can be are on the ground (e.g. on grass, on bark chips), on hedges, on or in bushes, right under the eaves of houses, or even in houses. (In our house, I've been seeing a lot of wandering males right now and have even been seeing quite a few females out and about too. Usually it seems like the females are searching for water because when you drop a drip of water if front of them, they will a lot of timers rush to drink it.) If you look in the mornings, when there's a dew, that can also make it easier to spot them it seems like in some of these outdoor places. When it starts getting colder, they usually seem to start taking their webs down, so it might be harder to find them right now. During the warmer months though, they should be easier to spot.

These guys don't make sticky webs and instead seems to depend more on strength and speed to subdue their prey. When it feels prey on its web, it will immediately run out to wrestle the prey and then bring it back into the funnel. This takedown can be pretty quick.

There are a few ways you can go about trying to catch one but I've found a good way is to lure it out. Flies with one wing torn make great bait. (If I'm removing wings on prey, I usually just tear one wing off. They can still buzz with the other wing this way which can be really helpful in luring spiders out.) One you've thrown the bait onto the web, you'll have to be quick and careful to catch your spider. I recommend wide mouth containers for this method.
Thanks for the tips I will keep that in mind but at the moment I think my best bet is buying one like only ever seen one web from what might of been a grass spider here in Tennessee