Where is da bolus?

ghordy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It is said you should remove the food bolus the next day, but the problem is... I can never find the darn things! Do the T's bury them, and if so, do they always bury them in one spot? Gimme some bolus finding techniques?

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine appear as a dried up crunchy ball.. Typically dark grey (on brown crickets) and typically around her feeding area.

This is with an A. avicularia so she tends to eat perched on the walls/wood so when done she just drops them to the substrate.

I've also added isopods (sow bug, rollie pollie's) to the enclosure and have caught them dragging them beneath the substrate presumably (which is why I added them) to eat them.

Just removed 2 this morning in my weekly maintenance of the enclosure or I would have snapped a quick pic for you.

Here is an image, not great, but maybe something to look for..

Cheers,

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They can be hard to spot sometimes. Some of my Ts put them in a tidy pile in the corners of their enclosures which makes it handy when doing clean-ups. Others stash them in their burrows then throw them all outside once in a while. Still others bury them on the opposite sides of their enclosures to their hides/burrows or toss them in their waterdishes :wall: .

Bottom line is, don't sweat it too much. Just take them out whenever you see them. They only seem to be a problem if left in damper enclosures for a length of time :) .

Zebo777

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Depends on the prey when I feed freshly molted mealworms they consume everything

nicholo85

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My Ts seem to love dumping them in their water bowls...such a pain.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
^^Mine too. and clumps of regular dirt. and webbed clumps of dirt. and poop.
I tried giving her a special, smaller water dish she could ruin.
She did. Then flipped it over. Then dragged and dropped it in the real water dish.:wall:

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
^^Mine too. and clumps of regular dirt. and webbed clumps of dirt. and poop.
I tried giving her a special, smaller water dish she could ruin.
She did. Then flipped it over. Then dragged and dropped it in the real water dish.:wall:
^
^
^ This made me LOL! {D

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, the places I find them are

1. Stashed in a corner. Sometimes you don't notice until there are a lot of them because they are small and similar in color to the substrate.

2. In the waterdish (grrrr)

3. Buried, generally in the corner

4. covered over with tarantula silk somewhere so you don't see them