Where do you obtain your Tarantulas?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The bill has gone through several revisions. At first, they outright banned any snake capable of reaching >6' and any venomous reptile whatsoever. It has been revised several, several times, and where we currently stand is an ad hoc conglomeration of exceptions. Larger snakes are allowed, but nothing past 12'. No matter what, you can't own more than 2 of any exotic pet, and even those 2 require permits to own. Juveniles/eggs/whatever also count towards that 2 limit, so a person who is breeding leopard geckos is suddenly a criminal. Licensed breeders will of course be allowed, but only after lengthy and expensive permits. The bill also goes into how many feral cats a person can own (this is a problem?!), and actually defines an "exotic animal" as anything other than a cat or a dog. Snakes, lizards, birds, fish, you name it. I find it very odd that arthropods, or at least tarantulas, are excluded in this bill. I'm not complaining, though.

I was at the town hall meeting last year when it was being proposed, and holy bejeezus, there was a huge outcry. It's not just the small niche of tarantula keepers like on this forum - we're talking about anyone with other than a cat or a dog. Frankly, I stopped following the evolution of this bill when I found out arachnids were excluded, so I don't have a lot of info. If you Google "exotic pet ban Nevada", you'll get a million links on the subject.

Thanks. I'll take a look, didn't know there's been such a evolution on that one. This is truly stupid. All the people that support this are dumber than the rocks in Red Rock Canyon.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I pick mine up from a local show, I've done some trading through here but haven't bought anything online in a very long time as I have enough personal contacts that I can get certain things if I really wanted them.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Thanks. I'll take a look, didn't know there's been such a evolution on that one. This is truly stupid. All the people that support this are dumber than the rocks in Red Rock Canyon.
If you listen to the lawmakers talk, it's typical fear propaganda. Outrageously inflated statistics of snake bite victims, unfounded information on invasive species, and the like. A mother of two hearing about deadly snakes that her neighbor could be breeding is scary, I get it. It might be uneducated and unfounded, but I get it.

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I did too, actually!! Lol sometimes you can score super big off Craigslist. It's amazing. Even got my Phormictopus sp Purple off there. It's rare, but occasionally some super huge scores and even the occasional new hobby buddy.

That's funny I got a sweet pulchra off of Craig's list!

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I get my tarantulas both online and at the LPS. The LPS actually has a variety to choose from.

Shawnee

Arachnosquire
98% of my T's have come online, I have exactly 2 I got at my lps because they gave them to me for free! I've bought many from the bigger breeders like ken, netbug, paul, stamps, etc. But honestly when it comes to T's, I like supporting small scale hobby breeders too. So I'll often look on the marketplace here or on the facebook groups from people just breeding a few species. It can sometimes be difficult to unload 100+ spiderlings if you are a small time breeder, so I look out for those ones. Also like others I typically buy slings, but a few times I've splurged on adult females.

JustSomeDude

Arachnopeon
I did too, actually!! Lol sometimes you can score super big off Craigslist. It's amazing. Even got my Phormictopus sp Purple off there. It's rare, but occasionally some super huge scores and even the occasional new hobby buddy.
Yea that's wild it seems whenever someone gets out of the hobby the majority seem to dump whatever they have on craigs list! I am def going to keep my eyes out for a breeder buddy that's local. I would put a personal add out but god only knows what kinds of creep shows are gonna reply! lol

JustSomeDude

Arachnopeon
98% of my T's have come online, I have exactly 2 I got at my lps because they gave them to me for free! I've bought many from the bigger breeders like ken, netbug, paul, stamps, etc. But honestly when it comes to T's, I like supporting small scale hobby breeders too. So I'll often look on the marketplace here or on the facebook groups from people just breeding a few species. It can sometimes be difficult to unload 100+ spiderlings if you are a small time breeder, so I look out for those ones. Also like others I typically buy slings, but a few times I've splurged on adult females.
Yea that's very cool of you! Supporting your local breeders is what fuels this hobby and keeps the species flourishing on the CB market! I know the feeling about splurging on an adult lolol Sometimes you just cant help it lol

JustSomeDude

Arachnopeon
If you listen to the lawmakers talk, it's typical fear propaganda. Outrageously inflated statistics of snake bite victims, unfounded information on invasive species, and the like. A mother of two hearing about deadly snakes that her neighbor could be breeding is scary, I get it. It might be uneducated and unfounded, but I get it.
Yea I can totally see what your saying if you look at florida with all the Burmese pythons slithering around and every other type of pet imaginable that people just let go when they get tired of caring for it. I can see why people get concerned. However instead of eradicating it they should at the very least form some kind of very easily obtainable permit to own and breed them. Although I really wouldn't want some game warden coming into my t room to check up on my horde!

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
I get most of mine through a couple of regional breeders. A few from a friend who was downsizing, and a couple of rescues. :)

Ashton

Arachnoknight
Anywhere I can find what I want. I like the ability to check everywhere. Always keep your options open because it could benifit you greatly in the long run.

JustSomeDude

Arachnopeon
Wow your not kidding! Upon a short search I found a bunch of them off of Craig's list!

scott99

Arachnoknight
I usually get my T's on online; Although, I got my first tarantula at petco.

Starantula

Arachnopeon
Specific facebook dealers, Spider Shop online and shows. Occasionally a local pet store.

Draketeeth

Arachnoknight
I was curious to see where everyone gets the majority of their tarantulas from? Online? Local Breeder? Pet store? Reptile Conventions?
Got a Brachypelma albopilosum which came from Jamies and was my first time dealing with both a sling and buying live animals online. It went well, and I'd buy online again based on the experience.

Second tarantula, Grammostola pulchripes came from the back room of a local pet store. That place ended up on my naughty list for multiple offenses, but the sling seems healthy and has a good appetite despite the conditions it was living in. Probably won't go back again for a long time though, looking at the living conditions of the tarantulas makes my heart ache for the poor beasties.

crlovel

Arachnopeon
The bill has gone through several revisions. At first, they outright banned any snake capable of reaching >6' and any venomous reptile whatsoever. It has been revised several, several times, and where we currently stand is an ad hoc conglomeration of exceptions. Larger snakes are allowed, but nothing past 12'. No matter what, you can't own more than 2 of any exotic pet, and even those 2 require permits to own. Juveniles/eggs/whatever also count towards that 2 limit, so a person who is breeding leopard geckos is suddenly a criminal. Licensed breeders will of course be allowed, but only after lengthy and expensive permits. The bill also goes into how many feral cats a person can own (this is a problem?!), and actually defines an "exotic animal" as anything other than a cat or a dog. Snakes, lizards, birds, fish, you name it. I find it very odd that arthropods, or at least tarantulas, are excluded in this bill. I'm not complaining, though.

I was at the town hall meeting last year when it was being proposed, and holy bejeezus, there was a huge outcry. It's not just the small niche of tarantula keepers like on this forum - we're talking about anyone with other than a cat or a dog. Frankly, I stopped following the evolution of this bill when I found out arachnids were excluded, so I don't have a lot of info. If you Google "exotic pet ban Nevada", you'll get a million links on the subject.
You really should be keeping an eye on this bill. Just because they're not coming for you this time, doesn't mean they won't be coming for you the next.