When to know when youre ready to get an OW?

Squid

Arachnopeon
I first got into Tarantulas a little over a year ago, and so far I have 3 slings (G. Pulchra, G. Pulchripes, and A. Geniculata), as well as a N. Coloratovillosus, B. Smithi and A. Seemanni. They're all very calm, with the exception of my Coloratovillosus, but I was looking into the possibility of getting an OW like a P. Muticus, E. Pachypus, or maybe even trying out an arboreal like P. Regalis?
I haven't had any issues with any of my Ts escaping or biting, but then again, I made sure to only get the calmer species. When will I know if I'm ready to try taking on an OW? Of course I dont have any experience with them yet, but based on how feisty my Coloratovillosus is I have a feeling it might be ok? Although I have no experience with OWs for comparison in speed or agression

arachnidgill

Arachnoknight
I first got into Tarantulas a little over a year ago, and so far I have 3 slings (G. Pulchra, G. Pulchripes, and A. Geniculata), as well as a N. Coloratovillosus, B. Smithi and A. Seemanni. They're all very calm, with the exception of my Coloratovillosus, but I was looking into the possibility of getting an OW like a P. Muticus, E. Pachypus, or maybe even trying out an arboreal like P. Regalis?
I haven't had any issues with any of my Ts escaping or biting, but then again, I made sure to only get the calmer species. When will I know if I'm ready to try taking on an OW? Of course I dont have any experience with them yet, but based on how feisty my Coloratovillosus is I have a feeling it might be ok? Although I have no experience with OWs for comparison in speed or agression
Only you will know if you're ready. If you think you can handle a speedy, defensive spider than go for it. If you're unsure, then hold off for a while there is no rush. P. muticus would be a good choice as they are slow growers and will give more time to adjust. If you want to go the arboreal route then I would get an Avicularia first seeing as you don't have any yet. Psalmopoeus will be a great step up from what you already keep, or Tapinauchenius and Pseudoclamoris.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
It really just depends on what you are comfortable with. i got a couple old worlds pretty early on in trades and local sales because they were easily availible to me and i was fairly confident in my research and abilities, and i have done fine, others start with one as their first or second and also do fine.

Research does not replace experience but IMO it can exaggerate it. Also starting with a sling can help too.

Many recommend the ladder method of picking new worlds with increasing attitude/defensiveness/speed until you are confident with them, then the jump s only in the pain and misery of you get bit and not the physical abilities of the spiders.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I started with OW’s pretty early in keeping. My fifth T was a 1.5” OBT. While I was still a beginner in keeping, I thought I was ready. I’m sure I’ll reiterate what many others say, but your only ready when you feel you’re ready. When I got my OBT, I did extensive research. I looked up a LOT of videos on many tarantulas, including OBT’s, and learned all of the safety practices necessary to stay safe. I dove in, and it worked for me. Although, IME, none of my OW’s have ever been hyper aggressive or teleporters.

However, I am not an advocate of getting a T you don’t want or aren’t interested in for “experience” alone. If nothing really gets your goat and it must be an OW (I’d look though, there are some very pretty and less dangerous alternatives that can help deal with the crazy OW’s) then do research and be the best prepared you can be.

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
I have OW species that are more relaxed than my New Worlds and vice versa. I got my first OW at 15 (C. lividus) and it was very calm.

Now before you old members blast me, I am not saying this is the norm. I just found the only thing that was difficult for me with OW's was the husbandry compared to something like a Brachy that has minimal needs.

My advice would be to go check out some OW's at a friend, or a breeder, expo etc. and make a decision from there. I still believe if you did your research the only way you will know if you are ready is to go for it. There is no level list where you have to start with Brachy, then get a Avic, then get a p. irminia, then a pokie before you can get another certain T.

All the best, keep us updated :D

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think if you feel you are ready then do your research and get right into it, only you can know if you’re ready.

One thing to keep in mind though, don’t feel pressure to get OW species if you don’t want to deal with them. There are so many amazing species out there, don’t feel you have to get OW if you don’t want to just because others have them =) but if you really want to then go for it! The fact you’re asking this question at all shows caution and maturity

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
I got my first OW 2 months into the hobby and 2 years later have 11. All of mine were slings when I got them, 2 have grown to maturity. To be honest I have found them easier to deal with than most of my NW though I am extra careful with them, never take enclosure lids all the way off and house them in larger than normal enclosures to limit rehousings. I have never had a threat posture from any of them ( not saying I never will). In my limited experience if they are set up properly they would much rather run and hide, though some with more than one burrow opening have a tendency to pop back up out of a different entrance,lol.

Only you will know when you are ready for one, it's not set in stone. As others have said if you aren't sure you can start with one of the faster NW species, Psalmopoeus would be a great stepping stone.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I don’t mean this flippantly. I believe you will know if you’re ready when you don’t have to ask the question. When you are confident enough, you will (hopefully) do your research on the spiders you are considering, decide on a specimen you want, and get it. Confidence is the key, and there’s no better demonstration of that confidence than being sure of yourself. Asking questions here is paramount in part of the decision making process, but no one (as repeatedly stated above) can determine your confidence in taking on any given task/responsibility.

bulbophyllum

Arachnosquire
I don't understand what all the fuss is about old world vs new world. The only real issues is with rehousing. You only have to do that a handful of times through out the t's life. Just be careful.

DanJ

Arachnopeon
I got my first T's a couple of months ago. I bravely started off with 4 of them, and one of them a old world H.Mac.

If you've done your research and you think you are ready go for it. I honestly cant see what the big deal are with old worlds. My P.Irminia makes me more nervous than my H.Mac - Love my H.Mac, eats like a pig and comes out the most out of my 4 T's.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
I started just over a year ago with a G pulchripes sling (still a tiny sling today BTW I think it's broke lol) I then got 3 old world slings about a month later I now have 4 NW and 11 OW T's, always take precautions and you should be fine if you think you can handle the speed and teleports Lol but at the end of the day it's only you that will know if you think you can do it

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I have avoided ow's simply because I have a 3 year old boy. I would just hate if he somehow got bit by any t but especially an ow t. I know the chance is small but it is there. Not sure I could forgive myself even if the chance is small. I am not entirely convinced all me venom is weaker than all ow either. I do have a few psalmopeous and I have read sericopelma have a nasty bite so maybe I have some with a nasty bite now. Either way, I have avoided them just because I have a kid. I could care less about being fast and nasty.

DanJ

Arachnopeon
I have avoided ow's simply because I have a 3 year old boy. I would just hate if he somehow got bit by any t but especially an ow t. I know the chance is small but it is there. Not sure I could forgive myself even if the chance is small. I am not entirely convinced all me venom is weaker than all ow either. I do have a few psalmopeous and I have read sericopelma have a nasty bite so maybe I have some with a nasty bite now. Either way, I have avoided them just because I have a kid. I could care less about being fast and nasty.
I have a 4 year old and 1 year old and know I am careful enough to not lose any T's. Not gonna lie my T room is pretty much escape proof.

I'll have my daughter observe me feeding and watch me do general maintenance on them, and gets really interested helping me out. Stupid? I wouldn't say so, gives them the knowledge and confidence around 'foreign' kritters. Shes the only one of her friends that doesnt freak out around insects and wants to pick them up and show everyone.

My take on it is if you are extremely careful and not try and be to confident there should be no problem keeping NW or OW and anything inbetween.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I have a 4 year old and 1 year old and know I am careful enough to not lose any T's. Not gonna lie my T room is pretty much escape proof.

I'll have my daughter observe me feeding and watch me do general maintenance on them, and gets really interested helping me out. Stupid? I wouldn't say so, gives them the knowledge and confidence around 'foreign' kritters. Shes the only one of her friends that doesnt freak out around insects and wants to pick them up and show everyone.

My take on it is if you are extremely careful and not try and be to confident there should be no problem keeping NW or OW and anything inbetween.
Yeah the temptations there everytime I make an order. I probably will when he gets a little older. Took alot of will power to not click "add to cart" on one my last order

krbshappy71

Arachnosquire
Mine hide most of the time, yesterday was the first time I was able to offer a dubia directly to the H. Maculata and it went without issue, she/he wasn't interested. My LP, though, WOW it snatches dubias right off the forceps, one of these days I think it will grab the forceps right out of my hand, its incredibly fun to feed it. I try and pretend they are all OW's so I don't get too lax.

cold blood

Staff member
I see a couple posts here which clearly indicate a slight misunderstanding as to why old worlds are more advanced species the new keeper should generally avoid.

It's not because all old worlds are more defensive, more flighty or more skittish. That's absolutely positively not the case, in fact some of the most defensive tarantulas in our hobby are new world.

The reason old worlds are advanced and should be avoided by most new keepers is because of their potential. See, all new keepers, and I mean all new keepers, are bound to make mistakes along the way. This is nothing to be ashamed of, rather it is a completely normal part of a learning process.

The potential danger and damage that can be caused by an old world vs even the most defensive new world are night and day. It's, "I made a mistake, ouch", versus I made a mistake now I have to stay home from work for a week while I recover in bed, or have to take my dog to the vet because it died being bit by a tarantula I couldn't control....etc.

By starting with new worlds, and working with fiestier new worlds, we make those mistakes and learn with something that doesn't have the potential negative effects on humans or the animals we live with that are nearly as dramatic as seen with OWs.

It's once you get past the learning stages, and are less likely to make mistakes, and more likely to be able to handle those mistakes than you are finally, in my opinion, ready for Old Worlds.

This is all in individual process, some people are ready for Old Worlds much sooner than others. Others like myself, are more cautious or slower learners and would want to wait longer before venturing to Old World. And being patient and taking your time is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. Old world tarantulas aren't going anywhere anytime soon...it's not like a new keeper needs to get them now before they're gone.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
P. muticus would be a good choice as they are slow growers and will give more time to adjust.
You are right about the slow growing part (excessive anyway, for someone in a learning curve, to me) but as slings, they can be quite 'delicate' - not so beginner-friendly - in terms of care needed.

Even as adults they require a particular eye (the burrow part and the lower layers should always be moist) for that they are prone to dehydrate :)

In sum, before that species is better to "master" the various parameters that T's needs (from the 'bone dry' ones to 'avics' to NW's obligate burrowers and so on), the ventilation etc

Squid

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the responses! I understand that there's no set rule on how long or how many tarantulas I need to have before expanding into Old Worlds, but from what I've read and watched I can tell that they'll be very different than my super calm Brachypelma and Grammostolas. I have never been bitten by my Nhandu either, although shes made a few moves at me while I'm changing her water or generally moving too close to her enclosure, so I think I'll wait until the next expo in September and I'll what the selection is. Unfortunately none of my friends are into the hobby, and the only expo happens every few months, but there is a small local store I got my N. Coloratovillosus from thats only a 15 minute drive away. From what I remember, he has mostly NWs but it'll definitely be worth going back and talking to him about it!

I'll update if/when I make a decision! I'm still a student living at home so the biggest problem will be convincing my sisters that it wont escape and kill them in their sleep (even though none of my tarantulas have ever escaped or bitten anyone)