When should I worry?

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My L. parahybana sling has made a burrow and disappeared down it. I can't see it in the burrow, and it hasn't come out that I know of for about 3 days. When should I become concerned, if ever? Should I ever go look for it?

I've put a meal worm (cut up) near the entrance to the burrow, but it hasn't come out to get it.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
becca81 said:
My L. parahybana sling has made a burrow and disappeared down it. I can't see it in the burrow, and it hasn't come out that I know of for about 3 days. When should I become concerned, if ever? Should I ever go look for it?

I've put a meal worm (cut up) near the entrance to the burrow, but it hasn't come out to get it.

Don't worry at all. How large is the sling?

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
worry or not to worry...

Hi Becca,
Lasiodora's in most cases are terrestial and not obligate burrowers. Although I can understand your concern I would convey to you that your Lassie has chosen to hide for a reason. It could be due to:
1) Preparing to molt
2) Avoiding bright light or heat
3) Digging to reach more moist substrate (dry)
I have and have kept quite a few Lassie's and not one of them has burrowed like yours. If yours is not feeding I would surmise that it is getting ready to shed.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The sling is approximately 1/2" - still tiny.

It ate once when I got it over a week ago, but hasn't eaten since. I put water drops in the container for it to drink, and some on the sides just in case. Just before it burrowed, it ran away from a pinhead cricket in the enclosure, so maybe it has molted / is molting.

When do you think it will resurface? The burrow is deep, and I can not see it even with a flashlight.

If it doesn't come out in a week should I try to look for it or just keep waiting?

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Heh, all of my slings are burrowing! ARGH! Even my G. rosea is trying to hide.

It's about 76 degrees F where I keep them and the humidity is fine.

My B. vagans sling has made an extensive burrow and has sealed up the entrance with dirt.

Cory Loomis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My B. vagans have been burrowers as slings, but after they hit about 2.5 to 3 inches, they only want a hide. They are always good feeders until molt time. Then they seal their burrow and don't open it until they are ready to eat.

Of my Lasiodoras, there has never been a burrower, just movers. Still, I wouldn't worry. They are hardy little beggars.

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Its been a while since my parahybana was a sling but it would dig and burrow just like yours....dont worry at all...every so often throw in a cricket...after 24 hours if the cricket has not FOUND the spider then take it out and try again in a few days....once they put on some size they stop burrowing....I think when they are small they feel a little more secure making there own burrow....

Regards, Mike :rolleyes:

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
@Mike - How long did it take your L. parahybana to "grow up?" From my understanding, it is a fast grower. How big was it after, say, a year?

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When I got her she was small...maybe an inch or so...give or take....11 months later she is around 5.5 inches and is in premolt as we speak...I power feed her though so that will have an effect on how fast she grows....great spiders all around....easy to care for, grow fast, eat anything that moves and IMO are very nice looking....I like that deep black and pink hairs they have as adults....

Regards, Mike :clap:

Pandora®©™

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My T's

I read about all the T's that dig and burrow and cover it over. Mine the A Seemanni (I normally use the common name one of them, Zebra) (I always have to look up the kinds when everyone uses the scientific name) anyway she hasn't dug a burrow at all, most digging she does is in the corners. She molted last Oct, she used one of the corners she had dug out.

I was lucky and happen to come home has she had just started and got a few good pics too. Now she has started kicking the hair off her abdomen, I never see her do it but the bald spot is getting bigger, she didn’t eat the last couple times I fed her but I just tried again and she acted like she was hungry when I dropped the cricket in so I’ll soon know if she’s going to eat.

If anyone knows why she’s kicking hair I would like to know. :? I sure don’t want her to get like she was when she was given to me. I never mess with her to stress her or anything like the guy did that gave her to me. So I don’t understand why she’s kicking her hair off. :wall:

My Grammostola rosea (Rosie) never digs either, she’s just weird T. :) but she’s fun to watch, and will eat anytime I drop a cricket in there, I think she’s part pig lol.

Cory Loomis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pandora-
Many of the new world tarantulas put urticating hairs into their webs, (a good reason to exercise caution when cleaning out old substrate after you've moved a spider). That might be why your A. seemanni has a bald spot. I have one adult female that burrows a lot, and one that sits beside or inside her flower pot. Both are good feeders, normally. If yours doesn't respond twice to prey, take out the prey and give it a week. For me, three times means I wait for a moult before I attempt to feed again.

Becca-
If your L. parahybana doesn't feed, it is in moult or dead. They are that ravenous. Keep your temps near 80, and feed every other day. You can almost watch them grow.

Last edited:

Pandora®©™

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cory Loomis said:
Pandora-
Many of the new world tarantulas put urticating hairs into their webs, (a good reason to exercise caution when cleaning out old substrate after you've moved a spider). That might be why your A. seemanni has a bald spot. I have one adult female that burrows a lot, and one that sits beside or inside her flower pot. Both are good feeders, normally. If yours doesn't respond twice to prey, take out the prey and give it a week. For me, three times means I wait for a moult before I attempt to feed again.

Mine wont take to any hide I've put in there, she just sits out in the open...

Darryl Albers

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have 2 l.payahabana slings and they both burrow . one more than the other. if you angle your substrate at shallow to deep gradient , the deepest being in the corner of the glass viv , then if youre lucky you can seethem through the glass in their burrows . as long as the humidity is right and boluses are cleaned , dont worry , they are wild and know what to do . :)

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My parahybana is about 1 inch now and LOVES to dig. I only give my slings as much substrte to equal their size, IE, one inch T, one inch of substrate, that way I can still find them if they burrow. I had one parahybana sling (about 1/2 inch) who had deep substrate and it burrowed its self so deep that it either couldn't or wouldn't come out. It would not take food, anything. I had to dig it up after about 2 months of not coming out or eating and it's abdomen was all shrunken. I had to keep it in ICU to get it to eat. Make a long story short, 3 days is nothing to fret, heck, they'll stay hidden for upwards of a month on occasion without worry, just (IMO) don't give them too much substrate.

jw73

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My L. parahybana when she was 1/2-1'' always dug a lot. Now she is about 2'' and don't dig. You shouldn't worry about your spider. It can not eat for a month and will be fine. Just wait and observe your little creature.

csherman

Arachnopeon
Really glad to have found this thread. (the search function really does work!)
I've been the proud owner of a 1.25" B. smithi for just under a week. My son and I were disappointed when it disappeared into a burrow Friday morning and stayed for the weekend and more...
Reading the "keepers guide" I became nervous that we were going to be owners of a "pet hole." I don't remember the exact quote, but the book states something to the effect of T's in captivity not really needing to burrow and how such activity unchecked can really detract from your enjoyment of them.
I have no intention of disturbing our smithi right now. I don't think he has had enough time to adjust to the new surroundings or time to just "destress" from shipping. It was, however, about to become a real quandry of wanting to be a responsible and benevolent owner - but not wanting a pet burrow either.
I think we will just enjoy this instinctual behavior and hope he will start becoming a little more visible as he grows and adjusts.

anderstd

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just put a little water into my payahabana slings vial. I havent seen it in about a week it has lived uderground almost since day one. I kill little crickets and leave them at the door, it took one last week but hasnt since. I have been trying every three days or so. I am hoping a molt is comming soon, I would like to get it out of the vial and maybe into a small deli cup or something.

bagheera

ArachnoTiger
Old Timer
My parhybana sling (maybe 2½") immidiately started excavating. It has a burrow under a rock ledge, of which i normally see some legs sticking out. Two weeks after I got her it sealed itself in and molted. After a few days, any cricket that wandered in, failed to come out again :} . Should I touch a leg with my tongs, it comes out to threaten me (such a cute rambunctious thing!) {D I hear that these hide less as they mature...I am hoping. It is eating, on the average a medium to large cricket a day. :rolleyes:

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My emilia sling FINALLY came out for 1/2 a second today- from what I saw she looks bigger, I'm just relieved. This sling ate for only 2 weeks following her molt, then she barricaded herself underground for 6 1/2 weeks! I thought that I was gonna find her dead, but I refused to dig her out unless I was positive. I'm so glad (and surprised at myself) that I actually had the patience to wait! Now the big Q is- do I feed her right away? None of my T's have molted out of my sight before, so I don't know if I should feed right away or wait a couple of days?