When should I ideally be ready for an old world?

TGod

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Of course I'm being rather ambitious now as I have only been back into the hobby over a month. At what point tho would one feel like they are ready for an Old World? More specifically for me an Obt. When did you decide to get an Old world?

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
If you're ready, you're ready.
Do your homework and things should go smooth. Don't mess this up.

I got into baboons in recent years. They're not so bad. No issues and they became my favorite spiders. Take it slow and use your noodle. You'll be fine.

Last edited:

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
If you're past the "can I keep an arthropod alive" stage, respect your spiders and have a willingness to read and procure info about the particular species you should have no problem.

If you're someone who only learns through experience, I think Tapinauchenius and Psalmopeous rehousings are generally what the masses consider stepping stones

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Got to keep T’s for a minimum of 10 years ranging over 8 different genus. Then you need to apply for your OW permit. After six months you can take the exam to get your OW owners license. You’ll be on a 4 month probationary period where if you have any screwups, you’ll lose your OW rights for 1 year. Good luck.

CanebrakeRattlesnake

Arachnosquire
Honestly I think the whole "This animal is out of your range unless you've owned X Y and/or Z before for ___ amount of time" is kind of silly. It's good to have experience but I feel like if you've done proper research and are able to handle what the animal will dish out, you're ready.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to get something "easier" to start out with and work your way up but I don't think there's anything wrong with going right to the end-game animal if you know you're ready for it.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
If you are careless, and that is not meant as an insult as I am by a factor of 10. Don't get something dangerous. Responsible people just have that gene that keeps them on top of things. You can learn ofc, but don't learn with dangerous species putting not only you but them in danger. I studied everything I am an advocate for welfare to into the dirt. I have ziplocked books and Gigs of digital info I reference at the very least once a week. It's a hobby yes. But your morals and surrounding people consider them a responsibility. If you let us down, we will burn you as you should be. But we will welcome you if you attempt to learn from your and our mistakes.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Got to keep T’s for a minimum of 10 years ranging over 8 different genus. Then you need to apply for your OW permit. After six months you can take the exam to get your OW owners license. You’ll be on a 4 month probationary period where if you have any screwups, you’ll lose your OW rights for 1 year. Good luck.
I wish it was like that for T owning and having kids too! Many people are too stupid to be good parents to any species

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Once you're comfortable doing rehousings and regular maintenance and not afraid of your spider anymore you can consider it. A bite or an escape is always possible, but with proper husbandry you can greatly reduce your chances. I bought an OBT earlier than I probably should have, about 3 months in, after only having a T albo and LP. A year later, I haven't had any issues but I still mostly keep NW.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I got my ow permit from some dude in a back alley wearing a trench coat. Then went three blocks down, did a series of sequential knocks on a door of a seedy motel and now the happy owner of an obt and a few other ow’s.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
You're ready when you feel it. If it terrifies you, you're not ready. You should respect them, but not fear them. Fear will make rehousings difficult - a sweaty hand drops a catch cup.

Personally I jumped into old worlds after I had grown my Psalmopoeus irminia up. I felt comfortable during rehousings - even when she bolted. I figured if I could handle one of the fastest NWs, it was safe to step into OWs.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Of course I'm being rather ambitious now as I have only been back into the hobby over a month. At what point tho would one feel like they are ready for an Old World? More specifically for me an Obt. When did you decide to get an Old world?
You should to be comfortable with digging out a very fast tarantula that is prone to running about when disturbed before considering getting a P. murinus. If housed correctly only the rehousings should be an issue though.

TGod

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think I'll wait until my LP sling has had a few molts first and I've actually had a bit of experience rehousing them.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I think I'll wait until my LP sling has had a few molts first and I've actually had a bit of experience rehousing them.
I would consider getting a subadult or adult specimen rather than a sling when the times comes. P. murinus have a very rapid growth rate and with a larger specimen you will not have to deal with rehousing it.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
If you're not sure you're ready for a P. murinus then get something from Ephebopus (fast/cranky NW fossorial genus) as a teaser of what to expect, if you can deal with that then you shouldn't have any problems dealing with OW fossorials, and if you screw up/get tagged it won't be anywhere near as bad.

Sure, people jump in the deep end and have no issues whatsoever but they're a very vocal minority. Also, OW slings are piss-easy and tend to lull keepers into a false sense of security, it's when they put on some size that they'll potentially start to give you problems.

LadyVonChimp

Arachnosquire
You're ready when you feel it. If it terrifies you, you're not ready. You should respect them, but not fear them. Fear will make rehousings difficult - a sweaty hand drops a catch cup.

Personally I jumped into old worlds after I had grown my Psalmopoeus irminia up. I felt comfortable during rehousings - even when she bolted. I figured if I could handle one of the fastest NWs, it was safe to step into OWs.
Same here, once I felt comfortable with my adult P. irminia, I got a P. murinus and O. violaceopes. Looking back I think I probably jumped in the deep end a bit, but I went for juvies so that I could grow my experience with them as they put on size. I definitely would not have gotten an adult as a first OW.

I've rehoused O. violaceopes once already and that went well. In fact my most awkward rehouse to date has been my B. emilia 😂

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
There’s defintely a ladder that following it helps feel comfortable. Like @The Grym Reaper reaper suggested and also getting a member of Psalmopoeus or Tapinauchineus to understand how to deal with speed without the venom is a valuable lesson. All three of those are actually all in Psalmopoeinae subfamily.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I definitely would not have gotten an adult as a first OW.
I actually do think it is easier to start with an adult when it comes to OW fossorials, especially the African species that is being kept on dry substrate. Once the T is settled in its final enclosure you will not have to rehouse again for several years at least and the regular cage maintenance, changing water dishes etc. is hardly a problem as they tend to hide in their burrows.

LadyVonChimp

Arachnosquire
I actually do think it is easier to start with an adult when it comes to OW fossorials, especially the African species that is being kept on dry substrate. Once the T is settled in its final enclosure you will not have to rehouse again for several years at least and the regular cage maintenance, changing water dishes etc. is hardly a problem as they tend to hide in their burrows.
Yes that is true, I guess I was mostly talking about my experience with P. murinus and O. violaceopes and didn't take into consideration fossorial OWs

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Yes that is true, I guess I was mostly talking about my experience with P. murinus and O. violaceopes and didn't take into consideration fossorial OWs
P. murinus is a fossorial species though and in my experience they will burrow if provided with enough substrate.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Also you should wait until you are at a point where you are not posting a lot of help threads on basic care or behavior. You need to have a firm understanding on how to thhrough life stages recognize normal vs. abnormal behavior like; ;)
and be able to safely rehouse all specimens without nerves or problems. Seeing as you are just back in a month, You should have quite a few rounds of rehouses under your belt with all species you have and potentially some more with faster and also or more defensive new worlds