When rosies attack

snoflax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yesterday morning when she got up my daughter couldnt find her A.avic and we couldn't figure out how he could have gotten on the cover was on and secure. Well my daughter has her avic on one side of a 30G high tank with her G.rosea occupying the other side, apparently the avic managed to squeeze over the divider and gotten into the Rosies side of the tank. She found him all the way back in the corner behind the Rosies hide. The avic lost a leg in the fight apparently and the rosie has a couple good knicks on his behind.
The Rosie seems to be doing ok, but I am really worried about the avic, my daughter brought him to me to check him out, and other than the missing leg he doesnt seem to be injured, but he does seem to be acting wrong. I tried to get him into an ICU but he started trying to run away and I decided that was just going to stress him out more, so I put him in a small KK with just substrate a piece of cork bark and water. He wont drink the water from the dish, but if i mist the plastic he drinks. He molted not that long ago and his abdomen is tiny, but I am afraid to feed him crickets since he is injured and he wont eat meal worms.
What can I do to give this T a better chance of surviving this?

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Keep it in a sterile container and offer it food regularly (I would recomend using crickets that have had their large back legs removed so they are less of a challenge for the injured T to capture and subdue) and hope it regrows the leg in it's next molt. Best of luck :eek:

YouLosePayUp

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
First if the wound is still leaking/oozing it needs immediate attention. Second that split tank is obviously flawed and I suggest you house them separately from now on. Now on to how to nurse it back to health. You want as few of things that can go wrong ex. short distance to any cricket or pre-killed ones if it will take them. keep on the warmer side (preferably with a portable heater as opposed to heating pad or light). Minimize the height it will want to climb so that if it loses footing it doesn't have a long way to go.

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So sorry to hear that this has happened to you. What those above have suggested should help plus just giving him time to heal and to get over the stress of the situation. Can you tell if he lost any hemolymph from the attack or lost leg in the G. rosea's tank? If not, he stands a better chance of being okay.

Hopefully others will read this post and re-consider using divided tanks. It is easy for the right T in the right situation to bypass that divider and this is a tragic example of what can happen. Hopefully others will heed this warning. Unfortunately, hindsight is always 20/20. I'll be hoping for the best for your little guy!

snoflax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Poor thing was starting to curl, so I got her into an ICU shes too weak to resist much. I have her in the back of my armoire where it is dark and warm.
I never thought splitting the tank was a good idea in the first place.
I am resisting the urge to check on the avic, I got some water into her when I put her in the ICU, now I guess all I can do is leave her for a day or two and hope she pulls through.

snoflax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Unfortunately the poor thing didnt make it, no death curl just died on her feet. I think my daughter and her BF now understand the danger of dividing tanks that way and why it really isnt a good idea. :(

Orchidspider

Arachnopeon
I use the various sizes of plastic criter keepers offered in pet shops for all of my T's and dont worry about using tanks. The plastic cages are cheap, easy to move around, do not take up that much space and have sizes big enough for most T species. I have all of mine on shelving in a coat closet, there they have privacy, their own thermo regulated heater and timer activated light. While it is nice to have your T's easy to see if you only have one, I have found that they behave much more naturally if they can have a quiet place of their own.

Endora

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry for the loss. It just changed my mind about the possibility of me using one tank to house two. How is your other T doing ?

Staley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am really sorry for your loss. I just bought an Avic Avic and its adorable it must be tough. I would recommend just buying smaller tanks. Like maybe 2 10's instead of a 20 with a divider. Just dont be too discouraged we all make mistakes.

Staley