When is it ok to remove a molt?

jrzyspider

Arachnopeon
My T sling molted yesterday in a web that it spun and it's in there with the old molt. When is it safe to carefully go in with tongs & remove it? I don't want to disturb the T but I was worried about it as far as bacteria forming on the molt, etc, and the T being so close to it.

joshuai

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would not worry about it a lot of ts will break it up and use it in burrow construction, when they are ready they will push it out of the burrow! I would leave it till the sling moves it!

lancej

Arachnolord
The next day is usually fine with slings. They harden up a lot faster than adults.

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've romoved them the same day, but if it's in a spot that makes it difficult to pull out or you have to disturb the T to do it...don't. They will push it away and discard of it themselves. For example my GBB just molted inside his coco hut and the skin is still inside. I would never think of trying to pull it out. He will push it out when he's ready.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Common sense comes into play here. If you're able to remove the exuvium without disturbing the spider, go for it. Obviously, if you're not able to retrieve it without any kind of disturbance to the spider, don't do it.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Dont worry about it molding. A little mold here and there doesnt hurt them. Best to leave it to mold rather than disturb it. (unlikely it will even mold) If you disturb it before the T has time to harden it may run and damage its legs, hardening in a odd position.(Its not life threatening) Most slings will probably not withstand any damage. Practice your patients for future molts when its larger. Molting is stressful on a spider and it should be left to recover in peace. Ive pulled molts to early before and it may cause more of a panic than normal in this vulnerable state. The last thing you want, is for it to attempt an escape.

Jerome.h

Arachnopeon
ooo i remove its moult whenever they r out of thier moult.

so far so good.

kristinnandbenn

Arachnopeon
Common sense comes into play here. If you're able to remove the exuvium without disturbing the spider, go for it. Obviously, if you're not able to retrieve it without any kind of disturbance to the spider, don't do it.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jerome.h

Arachnopeon
molt

so what do i do with burrowing species's molt? jus leave it in ther? will it rot or anything? isit safe for my t's?

~too bad, can't keep records of my haplo.albo:cool:

ArkGullwing

Arachnosquire
It's fine, some T's will actually web the molts into their burrows and use them as part of the structure! Or they'll push it out when they go to clean house. :) No worries! ^^

so what do i do with burrowing species's molt? jus leave it in ther? will it rot or anything? isit safe for my t's?

~too bad, can't keep records of my haplo.albo:cool:

synyster

Arachnobaron
Agreed. Just leave it to be with no worries and if you spot it out of the burrow, go ahead ;)

LittleDevilHeimer

Arachnopeon
My G. Pulchripes sling just molted. Since i was a begginer, im so excited to take the molt out. When i saw it lying on its back (finished molting) i slowly get its container to open the lid. But suddenly it moved and walked a little. And i had a bad feeling about it so i saw here its possible for its exoskeleton to harden differently. That was an idiotic move.

(Ps. Sorry for my bad english)

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
My G. Pulchripes sling just molted. Since i was a begginer, im so excited to take the molt out. When i saw it lying on its back (finished molting) i slowly get its container to open the lid. But suddenly it moved and walked a little. And i had a bad feeling about it so i saw here its possible for its exoskeleton to harden differently. That was an idiotic move.)

Next time, don't do that.

The molt will not mold. Remove it when you can safely do so.

Noodile

Arachnopeon
Nobody removes the moult in the wild. Tarantulas are pretty good at caring for themselves. I'd only remove it when they eject it from the hide

CharlieWoundup

Arachnopeon
Mine just molted for the first time in my care and she has a deeply buried log hide. I don’t think I can remove it for awhile

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Mine just molted for the first time in my care and she has a deeply buried log hide. I don’t think I can remove it for awhile
Congrats! It's best to let them tell you when they are done with it. They will actually eat some of it to reclaim moisture and nutrients, so the longer the better.

Some of mine never give up their molts, they are part of their decor aesthetic apparently 😂