when do u gradutate to dangerous species?

snappleWhiteTea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
How long have you guys been keeping scorpions before you got a more dangerous species like an LQ or an A.australis? just wandering, I'v only been in the hobby since the beginning of summer. :8o

andy375hh

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I kept Hadrus, emps and B Jacksoni's for a year before I got into hots.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
Get yourself a mid-level venomous species , like one of the Centruroides . DON'T just start out with something that's lethal . Something that is mildly dangerous will give a good practical understanding of handling and housing potentially toxic animals . That way if you get stung , you won't end up getting fitted for a pine-box .
When someones asks me how to go about owning a cobra I tell them to first get a Rattler to get use to the attitude . Then get a Puff Adder to get use to the blinding fast strike speed . My point is don't start at the top . You can actually die if you don't know what you are doing .

gramps

Arachnopeon
wgenever you feel comfortable to care for one, i belive that it is personal preference(although ive never kept a hot specie before)as long as you no dont handle them (derrr!) then my freind you will be fine

regards sam

rd_07

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How long have you guys been keeping scorpions before you got a more dangerous species like an LQ or an A.australis? just wandering, I'v only been in the hobby since the beginning of summer. :8o
that depends on exp and personal choice
but for me i dont like hots anything above level3
there are plenty of good looking scorps level 3 and below

{D

Last edited:

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Mhm... best to ask yourself WHY you want to go from non-dangerous to dangerous scorpions, and you should really answer that question yourself!

some people should never keep hots, others can start with them, depends on what kind of a person you are!

i got some Mesobuthus tamulus about 2 years into keeping tropical scorpions, and ended up selling them 1 month later, mostly because i was living with family at the time and its just not responsible to keep such dangerous animals with family/pets around

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you are looking for a in between get a Centruroides. You can probably find C. sculpturatus near your home. Honnestly hot scorpions are easier to deal with then old world tarantulas. They cann't climb smooth surfaces. The problem comes into play when some one decides to act foolishly when dealing with them. Common since goes a long way. My second scorpion was Tityus Serrulatus. My first was a wild caught Vaejovis.

John

CheckThrust

ArachnoPilot
Old Timer
I started with 6 C. sculps (which has now turned into 20+). After a month or so, I acquired an A. australis and 2 LQ's.

I bought cages with sliding/locking tops. I keep padlocks on the cages whenever I'm not feeding/cleaning. Also, I use 10" forceps for feeding and cleaning. I never put my hands in the cages unless I have removed the scorps.

As has already been stated, just use common sense and you'll be fine. If you think you're ready for hots, then you're ready.

TheAssyrian

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well ask yourself:

Are you a careless scorpion keeper? Or even a risk taker?

Do you like to play with your scorpions?

And lastly are you mature and respect your pets?

If no to all the above, you should be fine. A hot scorpion ain't any different than a benign scorpion the determining factor absolutely ENTIRELY depends on the keeper(s) themselves.

Chaika

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well ask yourself:

If no to all the above, you should be fine. A hot scorpion ain't any different than a benign scorpion the determining factor absolutely ENTIRELY depends on the keeper(s) themselves.
Well you might want him to answer 'yes' to the last one :D

But seriously, calling it 'graduating' sounds like keeping dangerous species is what all keepers aim for or should aim for. I never felt the inclination to move past my Heterometrus (I guess I just like the bigger species) but I did jump straight into keeping the faster bitey tarantulas. As long as you do plenty of research and treat any animal you get with respect I think you can 'graduate' any time.

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah, I wouldn't just rely on, "If you think you're ready"

I would make sure you know you're ready or at least have a very high level of genuine self confidence.
Ask yourself those hard questions.

snappleWhiteTea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well ask yourself:

im no to the first 2 lol

but any one know where to get an A.australis?

Selket

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
post a want add in the classifieds. Good choice on A Australis:clap: That would be my second choice, next to A. Mauritanicus.

blazetown

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
When someones asks me how to go about owning a cobra I tell them to first get a Rattler to get use to the attitude . Then get a Puff Adder to get use to the blinding fast strike speed . My point is don't start at the top . You can actually die if you don't know what you are doing .
I think this is the statement that should stand out the most boys and gals.

spinningspider

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i think that keeping a hot scorp is definatley less dangerous in terms of sting prevention then a venomous snake bite... i dont even think of them as in the same category. i think that the only way to handle either is to have confidenc in your experience and abilities then get one.. safest is to not get any at all