When do Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eaters sexually mature

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
When either they develop palpal bulbs (male) or their spermathecae are fully developed and turn dark (female).

If you mean at what size, there's no definitive answer

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
People can't even give spiderlings away of that species in our area. The market is saturated with Lasiodora parahybana and nobody wants them. I have been volunteering for Tangled in Webs for a year and I have yet to sell one single L.parahybana spiderling in that time period at the expos.
Not even one.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I'm assuming you're looking for size references so this is basically guesswork.

Seeing as, to my knowledge, this species rarely gets beyond 8" you could probably expect a female to be sexually mature at around 5-6" (I'm told females mature at around 60% of max size), I have a female around the 5.5" mark and I don't think she's mature yet but I could confirm when she next moults if her spermathecae are sclerotised (if I remember).

No idea at what sizes a male will mature, that could vary much more.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
My LP sling went from pinky fingernail sized to mature male in 18 months. And when they mature out, it's easy to see their hooks, unlike some of the arboreal species I keep.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
People can't even give spiderlings away of that species in our area. The market is saturated with Lasiodora parahybana and nobody wants them. I have been volunteering for Tangled in Webs for a year and I have yet to sell one single L.parahybana spiderling in that time period at the expos.
Not even one.
I understand what you're saying, but my first tarantula was an LP, and I can't imagine not always having one somewhere in the nursery. It's just that they'll ALWAYS ALWAYS eat, which I find so much more charming than bright colors or rarity. Also, you just can't touch a big old shaggy hairy spider for general awesomeness! They're always out, they are rarely bald-butted, tattered, and pathetic looking like a lot of other biggies, and they just always impress visitors with that shaggy-hairy awesomenicity. It's the killer arachnid from central casting! Got to have one!!!

cold blood

Staff member
It's just that they'll ALWAYS ALWAYS eat, which I find so much more charming than bright colors or rarity
But their appetite is no greater than most of the large tropical terrestrials. Its nothing in the least bit unique.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I dunno. I guess it depends on the definition of "unique". My LP is one of my favourites. It is second only to my A. geniculata. Granted, I don't have many. But "big" and "cheap" sort of sweetens the pot for me. It doesn't make me consider the species to be pedestrian, at any rate. Within the hobby? Indubitably so. But in my area, probably fairly unique. I imagine if they were rare and hard to obtain they might get a little more respect. I personally believe they are pretty attractive tarantulas, but that's a matter of taste.

Of course, it doesn't hurt that mine is a suspect female. If the same holds true for my G. pulchripes, it may jockey up past the LP, but only by a notch. If my A. genic proves to be male, it will drop a notch, but only slightly as it is a special case. Naturally, I REALLY hope that one turns out to be female. My E. campestratus hooked out so that one is out of the equation, and my B. hamorii ( I will always think of it as "smithi" but when in Rome...)is another that I hope will be female, though it will likely be a while before I know that.

Anyway, put me on "Team L. parahybana" ;)

IMG_6809crop.jpg

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
My second favorite is an LP. She is definitely unique to my collection in her feeding response and attitude :) I guess I was a weirdo and actually sought out and purchased mine.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I understand what you're saying, but my first tarantula was an LP, and I can't imagine not always having one somewhere in the nursery. Got to have one!!!
This isn't about having one, or even five, in your collection - it's about breeding a spider that is going to add potentially almost 2,000 to your collection. There is no market to sell them anymore... that ship has sailed long ago.
I don't understand why people can't do some research and breed species that are in high demand that are not easy to find? Why bother breeding an animal that nobody wants in a city where they are banned to begin with and almost impossible to even give away?
This shouldn't be about sticking two animals together - that's just biology and doesn't prove anything about the hobbyists skill or experience level. Look at the market, speak to dealers and long term hobbyists, find out what people want and can't get their hands on, find out what people will actually pay you for, and go from there. Put some effort into it and don't just breed hundreds of unwanted animals just for the hell of it. That doesn't do a thing for this hobby.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
My goodness! Where are LPs illegal? I live in Arizona, where just about everything is legal, including students openly carrying guns to school--as long as they turn them in at the office. :wideyed:

Oh, and I certainly agree with you at heart. Why go to the trouble of breeding an animal that's going to give you so many babies you have to take care of until you find them homes? Nope, I'm too bone lazy to breed anything with tiny babies or too many babies! And no, I'm not going to bother with breeding this boy, if for no other reason than there's clearly no girly around in need of a date.

I've had several teachers approach me about adopting my big boy as a specimin for their bio labs. He'll probably end out his days as a classroom pet. One could do worse!

However, LPs don't seem to have flooded the market so terribly much here, probably because we have so many local species that tend to be the go-to easy specimens for pet shops and so forth. A tiny LP sling will still bring $20 or $25 American in a retail setting in Phoenix.

And I think there will always be some market for LPS. They're big, they eat, they're fast growing, they're tough, they're impressive when your friends come over. Great choice for the new fancier who isn't daft about handling all the dadgum time.

As I said, it was my first store-bought spider, and I can't imagine not always having one somewhere. When no one else will play "catch the roach" with me, my LP always will. :)

Dovey

Arachnobaron
I dunno. I guess it depends on the definition of "unique". My LP is one of my favourites. It is second only to my A. geniculata. Granted, I don't have many. But "big" and "cheap" sort of sweetens the pot for me. It doesn't make me consider the species to be pedestrian, at any rate. Within the hobby? Indubitably so. But in my area, probably fairly unique. I imagine if they were rare and hard to obtain they might get a little more respect. I personally believe they are pretty attractive tarantulas, but that's a matter of taste.

Of course, it doesn't hurt that mine is a suspect female. If the same holds true for my G. pulchripes, it may jockey up past the LP, but only by a notch. If my A. genic proves to be male, it will drop a notch, but only slightly as it is a special case. Naturally, I REALLY hope that one turns out to be female. My E. campestratus hooked out so that one is out of the equation, and my B. hamorii ( I will always think of it as "smithi" but when in Rome...)is another that I hope will be female, though it will likely be a while before I know that.

Anyway, put me on "Team L. parahybana" ;)

View attachment 264409
Tim, where do you live? Are you also somewhere out here in the West?

Dovey

Arachnobaron
I believe tarantulas (among other exotics) are not permitted in the greater Toronto area of Southern Ontario, Canada.
Yeah, cuz when I think of fascist states, Canada immediately jumps to mind. Not! :wacky: Vat dur heh??? What's that about?

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Tim, where do you live? Are you also somewhere out here in the West?

Nah, I'm a good bit to the east. When I said they are probably fairly unique, I meant in my intermediate area. I've run onto a couple people to have them, and for all I know there could be tons of LPs kept, but I don't run onto many tarantula keepers period, and the most common ones to see offered for sale are Avics and G. porter. But I actually haven't visited many places that sell tarantulas in quite some time, so I really do not know what is availabl locally these days. There could be many hobbyists that get theirs shopped to them the way many of us do and I'm just not aware if them.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Yeah, cuz when I think of fascist states, Canada immediately jumps to mind. Not! :wacky: Vat dur heh??? What's that about?
Here is a thread outlining it: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/tarantula-dealers-at-toronto-expos.290085/

Basically, some venomous snakes were confiscated as illegal imports and the city responded by banning all venomous animals. This includes tarantulas, of course. It is becoming difficult to ship Ts in Canada, too.

@VanessaS do you have more details? I'm out West and less familiar with the situation back East.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Poor OP! All he did was ask when they mature. He didn’t mention anything about breeding them. If you don’t like LPs, no one’s forcing you to buy or breed them. But telling an animal owner how much you dislike their animal is a pretty rude.

sasker

Arachnoprince
He didn’t mention anything about breeding them.
To be fair, OP did not contribute much to this lively discussion (other than the initial post). So everyone else had to speculate about the reasons why he asked the question.

But telling an animal owner how much you dislike their animal is a pretty rude.
And I don't believe that anyone said he/she disliked LPs either :D
I think @VanessaS ' statement that nobody wants them was not because she believed this to be an inferior species, but just that the local market is saturated and that it will be impossible to market 3000 LP slings ;)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
If you don’t like LPs, no one’s forcing you to buy or breed them.
They are easy to breed, and they yield literally thousands of eggs. No one wants them because everyone has them. It's not that they're not fun to keep, it's that we don't need another 7"+ duplicate in our collection.