When can I add Tarantula sling into enclosure after hot gluing?

ArachnoDancer

Arachnopeon
Till no fumes are smelled- assuming your neurons aren’t sensitized.
Its been 3 hours..not that long of a time but it doesnt seem to smell at all and dried really quickly. Would you say it is safe now? I doubt it..but i dont know.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Its been 3 hours..not that long of a time but it doesnt seem to smell at all and dried really quickly. Would you say it is safe now? I doubt it..but i dont know.
I never did it that quickly- I always waited a week

ArachnoDancer

Arachnopeon
Yea it was a really stupid question in three hours. Still Id like to place them in the new enclosure soon, Ive read posts on placing them inside after leaving hot glue overnight or wait about 24 hours.
I am just a bit indecisive when is a good enough time.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yea it was a really stupid question in three hours. Still Id like to place them in the new enclosure soon, Ive read posts on placing them inside after leaving hot glue overnight or wait about 24 hours.
I am just a bit indecisive when is a good enough time.
A week for me- do what you want

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Till no fumes are smelled- assuming your neurons aren’t sensitized.

When in doubt, be cautious.

Hot glue drys and is set in like 5mins.. long as u can feel its not sticky to the touch
Maybe, maybe not.

How long should I wait till then?
How long you wait is up to you. 5 minutes might not be long enough, 24 hours is a safe guess, 7 days virtually eliminates all risk, you're basically quarantining the glue at that point.

The standard non-toxic hot glue stick is comprised of powdered polystyrene and polymer resin. (The same stuff they use for baby bottles, plastic cups, and water bottles)
This is melted into a liquid and mixed with Colophony to make it stickier.

While melted, hot glue is toxic and emits fumes, this is why it's advisable to wear a mask and work in a well ventilated area, you're essentially melting sticky plastic.

Once cured, hot glue is as non toxic as a regular plastic cup or water bottle. The amount of time it takes to cure varies, but is roughly 1 hr per 100 grams of glue. You can tell glue is fully cured once it has lost it's transparency from being heated and returned to a milky opaque color. You can also check for heat, as cured glue will have no heat. Lukewarm glue is not cured! It will also become hard, if you can lightly indent it with your fingernail, it isn't cured, soft glue is not cured!

I have used hot glue in my aquariums with no issue. However one thing to note, is that the durability of the glue is very fragile. It will break down over time, like a soft plastic. Luckily, it doesn't melt, it becomes brittle and chips and cracks.

Adhesive silicone is a better choice for a permanent, waterproof, non-toxic (after curing) way to attach things to glass/acrylic but is more expensive, harder to work with, and takes much longer to cure.

ArachnoDancer

Arachnopeon
A week for me- do what you want
Thank you it really helps
When in doubt, be cautious.

Maybe, maybe not.

How long you wait is up to you. 5 minutes might not be long enough, 24 hours is a safe guess, 7 days virtually eliminates all risk, you're basically quarantining the glue at that point.

The standard non-toxic hot glue stick is comprised of powdered polystyrene and polymer resin. (The same stuff they use for baby bottles, plastic cups, and water bottles)
This is melted into a liquid and mixed with Colophony to make it stickier.

While melted, hot glue is toxic and emits fumes, this is why it's advisable to wear a mask and work in a well ventilated area, you're essentially melting sticky plastic.

Once cured, hot glue is as non toxic as a regular plastic cup or water bottle. The amount of time it takes to cure varies, but is roughly 1 hr per 100 grams of glue. You can tell glue is fully cured once it has lost it's transparency from being heated and returned to a milky opaque color. You can also check for heat, as cured glue will have no heat. Lukewarm glue is not cured! It will also become hard, if you can lightly indent it with your fingernail, it isn't cured, soft glue is not cured!

I have used hot glue in my aquariums with no issue. However one thing to note, is that the durability of the glue is very fragile. It will break down over time, like a soft plastic. Luckily, it doesn't melt, it becomes brittle and chips and cracks.

Adhesive silicone is a better choice for a permanent, waterproof, non-toxic (after curing) way to attach things to glass/acrylic but is more expensive, harder to work with, and takes much longer to cure.
I will really take note of this and wait a lot longer

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Wouldn't it technically be freezing? Because it's a liquid becoming a solid not a gas. :geek:

I would just say wait until its cool. I think typically the stuff is non-toxic once cooled/solidified.
Yeah freezing 🥶!!!
ℹ usually wait a day before using anything glue gunned but some people do less time some a week .

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Wouldn't it technically be freezing? Because it's a liquid becoming a solid not a gas. :geek:

I would just say wait until its cool. I think typically the stuff is non-toxic once cooled/solidified.
So smart. You are absolutely correct. It is losing heat, turning from a liquid to a solid. We should rename it "frozen glue"

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
I had something funny to say about that but I probably shouldn't.

The key distinction between an explanation and a mansplanation is a condescending tone and the fact that you're explaining information they already know.

I think in this case, you're safe.