What's your most docile tarantula?

CarsinemiA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My B. smithi is rather temperamental. Once outside her enclosure she's fine, but I've had my hand slapped more than once. I nearly browned my trousers the first time it happened. Was completely unexpected.

My most docile would have to be my B. emilia. She does like to kick hairs but she never spooks and is easily handled.

Also, my G, pulchripes is great to handle... but, due to it's fairly small size still (about 2.5"), it just bolts for burrow everytime I look at it.

Vaughn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A. metallica I got from Mark at Animal Magic . She would rather be out of her cage than in it . She would stay on the back of my hand all day if I would let her .

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
my 3 G roseas, G porteri, G pulchripes, A avic, A versicolor, new river, A behlei, A iodious and A geniculata are all very handleable. the genic flicked at me a couple of times though:embarrassed: and she's pretty fast for such a big girl:D

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
E. campestratus hands down. I usually like them uber defensive but this thing is so docile I can't help but like it. Literally, you can pick it up, turn it upside down, and lift it's fangs up with a fingernail.

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
my campestratus hasn't gotten big enough to manhandle yet but i got it specifically because it was the first T sp that my gf managed to hold... she liked it 'cause it didn't move at all:}

Jackuul

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My best one is the G. porteri I have called Sweetie. My slings are a bit too small now to judge, since they can't really do a whole lot bun run away. The two roses I have are b*tches. "Nyaaar! My waterbowl! Nyaaar! I'll cut you sucka! Nyaaar!"

ranchulas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My G. pulchra, A. avic, A. versicolors, female B. smithi, and a gray G. rosea are all very handleable. One of my RCF rosea is one of my most aggressive T's . LOL

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I dont really handle my T's much, but when I want to show them off the A. metallica is the only one I trust enough to handle and allow others to as well. She can occasionally get just a little flighty and jump around (literally), but she has never tried anything aggressive at all, not even shooting poop.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well since i'm just getting back into building a collection and i only have two, it would have to be my G.rosea.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well I just wanted to update on my G. rosea with the egg sac.. I took it from her the other day and she seemed a little upset about it but now she is back to her normal sweet heart little self..

cbeard

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The most chilled out, "friendly" T I've ever had was a GBB, actually.

spiderfield

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd have to say my G. pulchra. When I hold her she always seems to just sit like a rock in my hands.

mmfh

Arachnobaron
Lol, I love this question because my most docile T. (G. pulchripes), that as a newbie I handled way more than I should have, is the only one who got fed up with my <edit> one day and tried to bite me. Not highly venomous but she was a good 6" and could have put nice sized holes in my hand. Consequently I no longer believe in docile T's.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Zombie thread but oh well. There's only one thing i know for sure: there aren't docile Theraphosidae. Period. That's a big understatement, purposely created for (however valid) reasons... for draw a line.
So the weak venom, lazy/pet rock, somewhat slow, more hair kickers than bite T's, went under that label. But they aren't docile, at all.
A primitive, perfect predator machine, and the word docile doesn't mix.

Last edited: